HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:52 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Hoogvliet
Joined Jul 2008
318 Posts
OK, thanks for the info. And thanks for the warning.
Dutchraptor is online now Find More Posts by Dutchraptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Made some revisions to code in post #45, all pertaining to the autostart capability, to make it work more reliably. See the edit comment for details.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:54 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Installer

EDIT: This information is obsolete, please get the latest installation package, go directly to this post.

This is an install package that makes it easier to install the soundfx system.
Download the file
Change name to install_soundfx.bin after downloading:
  • mv install_soundfx.bin.zip install_soundfx.bin
Change permissions if necessary:
  • chmod 755 install_soundfx.bin
Install the package:
  • ./install_soundfx.bin
After installation you will have a folder named soundfx that looks similar to this:
drwxrwxrwx 3 blutoh blutoh 4096 Mar 1 10:29 soundfx
In the soundfx folder you have these files and sub-folders:
drwxr-xr-x 2 blutoh blutoh 4096 Feb 26 11:10 data
-rwxr-xr-x 1 blutoh blutoh 8369 Feb 26 11:24 serialsoundfx.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 blutoh blutoh 4081 Feb 13 15:22 soundfx.py
To run the menu version:
cd ~/soundfx
./soundfx.py
To run the serial version:
cd ~/soundfx
./serialsoundfx.py
EDIT: For a quick synopsis and the latest installation package, go directly to this post.
Last edited by blutoh; Feb 14, 2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:28 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Additional Equiptment Effects

Danny,

And all you lurkers , what additional sound effects should we add? I am thinking some kind of equiptment effects like winch and crane? Maybe two winches, a large and a small. Let me know what you all think, I would like to get these into the system soon. Also, if anyone knows of any sources for good sound effects, please post them here.

Thanks,
Pete
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
318 Posts
Blutoh,
Some motor sounds would be great with different revs. Winches small and large, siren, a second ambient sound like bridge noises. But most of all the engine noise. I haven't tried the last version yet, sorry. I'm kinda busy with work, the hobby need money (and the wife too ).

A good place for sounds is: sounddogs.com

Danny
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:04 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
How many different RPM levels do we need? 3, 5 or ?? How many different positions of the throttle stick will the system detect?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2008
318 Posts
I had 10 steps in my arduino system. Was enough for me. Forward and reverse can be the sam sounds.

Danny
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:33 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Danny,

I created some new sound samples. The zip file contains a new start and stop engine effect and six engine notches, engRunNotch1 thru engRunNotch6. Notch 1 is at the lowest speed and pitch usable before the sound begins to degrade, Notch 6 is at the highest speed and pitch usable before sound begins to get high and whines, If we want ten notches, I will have to play with the granularity between the notches as I have found the end points. Before I code these into the program lets decide if they are ok or need to be revised. Give a listen and tell me what you think. Next step is cranes and winch effects.

Pete
Last edited by blutoh; Jun 01, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:21 AM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchraptor View Post
Blutoh,
Some motor sounds would be great with different revs. Winches small and large, siren, a second ambient sound like bridge noises. But most of all the engine noise. I haven't tried the last version yet, sorry. I'm kinda busy with work, the hobby need money (and the wife too ).

A good place for sounds is: sounddogs.com

Danny
Sounds like a good plan to also incorporate in Well Enhancer!!
It would greatly add to the realism and liveliness of the vessel.
Off course most sounds would need to be quite as the noise is mostly only heard when your up close.
The vents in the funnel atop the bridge will not be heard when your on the dive area (speaking from experience).
Bridge noise would be great but only realistic when the roof is removed as Well Enhancers bridge needs microphones outside to hear anything other then a huge gas explosion...

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
318 Posts
OK, Pete, they sound great

I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I keep wondering how many people are lurking around and are going to build our systems for themselves

Danny
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:23 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
OK, Danny,

Glad you like them. I will start working on modifying the program. I will refine these into 10 notches using the end points we have. I found some crane effects that need to be modified, and I am still looking for the right winch effects to use for a starting point. What pin values will you pass as the trigger for these new effects? Instead of pin values, should we switch to alhanumeric codes, like engStart, engNotch3, etc.? Not sure if this is even feasible from the arduino side. But either way, pin #s or alpha codes, we just need to decide what they are, and then I can code from there. I have to start thinking about a version of the effects for a steam vessel, for those modeling the steam era. Maybe someone (wake up lurkers ) wants to volunteer to scout for steam sounds? Anyway, we are making good progress, we have come a long way in only 2.5 weeks!

Pete
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:52 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Josse,

Well Enhancer definitely needs this sound system. It's surprising how much realism a sound system adds. And we need your feedback. We get a lot of views on this thread, but very little comments. So download it and give it a try, we want to hear what you, and anyone else, have to say about it.

Pete
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:51 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
This is a new test program. It includes new sound files and a new soundfx.py program to test them. serialsoundfx.py is not yet changed. Intallation instructions are in post #48.

Pete

EDIT: For a quick synopsis and the latest installation package, go directly to this post.
Last edited by blutoh; Mar 31, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
318 Posts
Pete,
It all depends on what kind of system where going to make. If we go for a Arduino Nano interpreter for the volume and readout of the receiver in combination with I2C pins, then nummeric would be my preference. But that's purely based on my experience with my protocol. First number is for the group (servo group 1 or digital control group 2 and so on), the resr of the numbers are for the selection of the sub group and value for that subgroup (1064 = subgroup 1, pin 7 or 2755 = group 4 (2755 - 2500 = 255) and pin 8. 1000 = subgroup 1, 1500 = subgroup 2, 2000 is subgroup 3 and to on untill 9500. After that a new group begins with new subgroups. The values add up like 8-bits. pin 1 = 0+1, pin 2 is 0+2, pin 3 is 0+4, pin 4 = 0=8 and so on to pin 8 (128). That way I can read by peeling the value which pins, and in this case sounds, are activated. It is also easier so stop a sound since only the serial value changes, and there is no need for two values for one sound (on and off). You can see the principle in the serial version I made. Group 1 (was actually a subgroup value in the transmitter protocol) was the analog value (range 1000 to 1500), group 2, the pins, was 2000 to 2256. 1500 to 2000 was reserved for volume control. When using an arduino interpreter, you can easily read pots and pins (for standard control transmitters), or by switching a switch or by setting a jumper ( a pin HIGH or pulled LOW) switch to serial communication from another Arduino. That way everyone can use it without different programs and settings. I think I can come up with a little program and PCB for that. I allready made a PCB once for my father th control a Arduino with a wave-shield from adafruit. He also had a standard transmitter/receiver from Robbe with Robbe decoders. Like most people he also had relays onboard so he could switch the pins on/off on the PCF expanders (in this case 16 sounds and engine noise). With the Raspberry it should even be possible to have two engine with each there own startup/shutdown and revving.

The short version: communication between arduino and rasppi nummeric, and inside rasppi you can give is english names.

But then, it's only an idea.

Danny
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:24 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
Quote:
.......... you can easily read pots and pins (for standard control transmitters), or by switching a switch or by setting a jumper ( a pin HIGH or pulled LOW) switch to serial communication from another Arduino. That way everyone can use it without different programs and settings. ...............
Thats the path we should take, then, make it available to everyone.

Quote:
.............. With the Raspberry it should even be possible to have two engine with each there own startup/shutdown and revving.
Yes, not a problem. Once we get the basics working, we can start enhancing for twin screws, etc

Quote:

The short version: communication between arduino and rasppi nummeric, and inside rasppi you can give is english names.
But then, it's only an idea.
OK, that sounds good to me. Take a look at the new menu version, and then let's figure out what the pin assignments and translations will be.

Pete