snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:39 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Please tell, I like the idear of flying fpv with something that won't hurt anyone if if drops out of the sky.
Hi Ripmax,

That's one of the best points about micro FPV. I have to be much more aware never to fly over or near anyone with my normal sized quadcopter. With the Hubsan no one even notices it's there when I fly by.

Unfortunately when it goes down it's a royal pain to locate, even with recorded video to review. I painted the bottom bright orange and that helped a good deal so probably gonna paint the whole thing orange.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Details and more photos coming soon.
got any pics of these tx's opened up and where/you soldered the antenna connector?
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,187 Posts
There's got to be a way to wire a small piezo speaker the quad and have it beepor shriek when needed. There's also got to be a way to be able to do some sort of directional indicator, sort of like an RF compass that shows the direction your quad is facing.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:30 AM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,148 Posts

Is that Sunhans wifi booster that you put under X4 TX?
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
@ Patrick,
Nice work and write up as always

Hi MO and Gents,
Yep. A light-weight beeper locator would be a nice add-on to prevent micro multicopter losses. Here are some considerations:

From the Locator devices section in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
--Beacon which uses an inexpensive FRS/GMRS UHF transceiver by FMKit: http://www.fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html and http://fpv-community.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=81 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274173
These are great and only 2g and about $50. However they are best for narrowing down location of the lost model from miles to 10-100 feet due to the signal saturation when you get that close, so probably not the best overall for micros. The FMKit FRS beacon works well and has saved several of my larger multicopters that fly longer distances away. It is a must have item for the larger more visible multicopters.

and

--Loc8tor: store: http://www.loc8tor.com/ , RCG forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post10751721
The Loc8ator beacons weigh about 2g stripped and will locate within inches. It has a short 200M range so it is ideal for the micros. At about $60-$150 depending on the version, it might be too pricey for most micro's, but a good idea for the expensive multicopters...

and

--Some remote key finders can be candidates for locating micro multicopters if the plastic is removed and maybe a smaller button battery too if necessary.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40
I got this one recently and like it because the range sensitivity can be adjusted on the hand held receiver. The transmitter is only 2g when stripped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keychain-Ant...item3f1abd8955

--Always put a note with your phone number and a reward offer should be on the multicopters you would like returned if found.

It is best to be redundant with locators if possible, i.e., note + location beeper or transmitter. The model often loses power in a crash, so a separately powered or an additional locator will have the best recovery reliability.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
There's got to be a way to wire a small piezo speaker the quad and have it beepor shriek when needed. There's also got to be a way to be able to do some sort of directional indicator, sort of like an RF compass that shows the direction your quad is facing.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:26 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,430 Posts
I have the traxxas QR-1 I painted white first then coated it with day glow green and it POPS so i bet you coat the quad in white and then use a dayglow orange and you will never lose it as it will glow like a street cone!
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,370 Posts
I considered a beeper for my Hubsan but 2 grams becomes noticeable after adding FPV components. If you have a VTx transmitting video then it's easy enough to locate a downed micro quad with-in about 20 feet with the VRx antenna off. Of course always record video to review as well.

My VTx, antenna, cam, video lipo, wires & connectors come up to 9.7 grams. Even at under 10 grams I have to use 70% throttle on my Hubsan to maintain hover on a fresh lipo. 5 minutes later I'm at 80% throttle and it's time to land.
Last edited by patricklupo; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:24 AM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Building on MO's post...I wonder if it's possible to put a very small piezo speaker that will sound when the eyes begin to flash...basically feeding off the low battery indicator signal. That way you just have to wait until the battery gets low and then you can hear it scream for mama.

Adding LEDs would help too.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:35 AM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman View Post
I have the traxxas QR-1 I painted white first then coated it with day glow green and it POPS so i bet you coat the quad in white and then use a dayglow orange and you will never lose it as it will glow like a street cone!
If someone doesn't want paint on their motors just use some broken motors as placeholders. Then swap them out for good ones when the paint dries.

I really like your paint job! I may have to try something...got a friend at an automotive paint shop.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
You are the man!Im confused being new but thumbs up lol
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Last edited by AnthonysQuad; Feb 16, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:13 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post
If someone doesn't want paint on their motors just use some broken motors as placeholders. Then swap them out for good ones when the paint dries.

I really like your paint job! I may have to try something...got a friend at an automotive paint shop.
Thanks
You can just use a exacto blade and scrape the paint off but i flew it and did not notice any more heat on the painted motors.
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:36 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
Any updates?
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post

If your intended goal is for FPV beyond 300 or 400 feet then this mod is {probably} unnecessary and an external booster is about the only way to get beyond that with these cheapie toy radios. While an external booster is pricer than the A7105-500, it is a much simpler mod that requires far less soldering.
how do you connect the external booster? do you simply replace the wire antenna with an sma connector?
r3npogi is offline Find More Posts by r3npogi
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonysQuad View Post
Any updates?
Sure, will try to get some pics of the WLToys booster mod up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3npogi View Post
how do you connect the external booster? do you simply replace the wire antenna with an sma connector?
Yep, that's it. You just need to get signal from the internal stock antenna, out to the input of the booster. I'd already upgraded my Hubsan Tx with an A7105-500 module, so the RP-SMA pigtail on mine is connected to it's antenna out. The stock Hubsan Tx has a PCB antenna that's driven by an A7105 that outputs only 1mW. There's a small chance it may not be enough to drive the Sunhans booster input. If the Sunhans' blue LED blinks when you power it and the Hubsan radio up, then it's working.

Beside connecting the RP-SMA pigtail center signal wire to the Hubsan Tx antenna trace, be sure to also connect the pigtail's shield wire to the Tx ground somewhere.

*While it's ok to power on the Sunhans with no signal at it's input, always be sure an antenna is attached to the booster's output or it'll burn up. I'd also recommend powering up the Sunhans first, or at least at the same time as the Hubsan or WLToys Tx, so you're not applying signal at the booster's input while it's off.