HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:51 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,573 Posts
Discussion
Welcome!

OK just had to do it! I wanted to make the first post!

To everyone visiting here, Welcome! This is a forum for the development of electronics and devices to make model boating more realistic, and to provide us builders an outlet to the community were we can share ideas and assist with answering questions.

Massey
Massey is online now Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,181 Posts
Awesome, you got your forum. The bloke pm'ing me would be happy. Well done.
Pete
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:43 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
You dirty rat!!! Now your're stuck with the first post - forever and always known as the guy what dirtied up the nice clean chalk board!!! LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x8 View Post
Awesome, you got your forum. The bloke pm'ing me would be happy. Well done.
Yes Pete, I am happy. Thanks you for your support and votes! They have been much appreciated!

And to everyone who signed the petition and then voted in the poll!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! We could never have done it without you. We owe you a great deal and hopefully, the gidgets, gadgets and widgets we come up with here will make your lives and models, if not easier, than at least more interesting.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:54 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,573 Posts
Lol yay me!!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:04 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Topics?

Hi Craig et all,

I was just thinking (no that can't be right) anyway has anyone thought about what Topics within this Forum you're going to have? As some of you might know I'm seriously taking all the Tutorials I can find for the Arduino Uno with the idea of automating many functions aboard Lady Marada.

I was wondering, when I get to the point where I care to tell everyone of my misuse of electronics and electricity in general, would I start a "Build Log" describing my "build" of the hardware and software required for those functions? Or do you folks have something else in mind?

Cheers, Barry
ClassicBoats is online now Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,602 Posts
Do you guys on the left coast ever sleep?????

Barry, yes!
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Last edited by blutoh; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:19 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,573 Posts
This left coast guy does not get off work until midnight, and I sit in front of a computer all night as well!

Massey
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Sleep - Wha dat? My pussy cats sleep for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBoats View Post
.... taking all the Tutorials I can find for the Arduino Uno with the idea of automating many functions aboard Lady Marada...

I was wondering, when I get to the point where I care to tell everyone of my misuse of electronics and electricity in general, would I start a "Build Log" describing my "build" of the hardware and software required for those functions?
No, Barry, that is EXACTLY what we had in mind when we started thinking about this forum!

Detail each 'function' than detail how you created each solution. And take lots of pictures; we like to see the misuse an abuse of innocent diodes, resistors and gears, silicon wafers heated well are what we love with lunch. Also, link the postings between threads.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I think what Barry is talking about if the model is straight forward scale build but is augmented with the extra tech. then , sure, the boat build proper should be in scale boats. but details of the electronics could have its own build log in this section as a sub detail, and cross posted with the boat build proper.

don't forget that that the advanced posting tool has a code wrap button. for posting code routines without confusing the forum server into thinking you are trying to run something in the txt window.

I may post some of my non-boat experiments as general tutorials for doing stuff and providing proof of concept and inspiration.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:15 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Well its here..
Thanks to those who helped make this happen and to those who passed the idea into a reality, Thanks again.
Im in my infancy of doing anything with a MCU..I know a little P-Basic..and thats 25yrs ago.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,084 Posts
Like the name.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,591 Posts
Congrats, y'all!
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:25 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
I think what Barry is talking about if the model is straight forward scale build but is augmented with the extra tech. then , sure, the boat build proper should be in scale boats. but details of the electronics could have its own build log in this section as a sub detail, and cross posted with the boat build proper.
It is not just the 'digital' here, but any form of mechatronic* system to create an electronically or mechanically animated or animatronic function on a model.

This could include a rotating radar scanner, a skipper bringing binoculars to his eyes and lowering them again, running up and lowering signal flags or having the Aldis lamp flash "Winnie's Back!."

The proper method, as I envisioned it, for would be for the builder to document the process in the general build thread over wherever, but do an cross post or expanded thread here featuring just on the animated feature and how it is built and controlled - e.g. "a method for running up the colors," "another method to raise, train and fire scale 16 inch turret batteries," " An Arduino based speed controller and steerage mixer for four motors in a battle wagon" "Controlling 64 special effect functions on a cruiser using a RPi." etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
*Mechatronics is a design process that includes a combination of Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering, Control engineering and Computer engineering. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of engineering, that is to say it rejects splitting engineering into separate disciplines. Originally, mechatronics just included the combination between mechanics and electronics, hence the word is a combination of mechanics and electronics; however, as technical systems have become more and more complex the word has been "updated" during recent years to include more technical areas.

French standard NF E 01-010 gives the following definition: “approach aiming at the synergistic integration of mechanics, electronics, control theory, and computer science within product design and manufacturing, in order to improve and/or optimize its functionality"

A mechatronics engineer unites the principles of mechanics, electronics, and computing to generate a simpler, more economical and reliable system. The term "mechatronics" was coined by Tetsuro Mori, the senior engineer of the Japanese company Yaskawa in 1969. An industrial robot is a prime example of a mechatronics system; it includes aspects of electronics, mechanics, and computing to do its day-to-day jobs..
I had been hesitant to introduce the term and concept of mechatronics since it covers such a wide, cross-disciplinary field but it is really what we modelers do when we build and after BG's post I decided to take the plunge so I'll have to go back and re-write a few things.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 13, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:53 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yeah! like I said! build log there, explination here!

mechatronics... never really heard the term before.. sounds like re-branding of Automaton, or automation in general.

automaton, of course being the old, OLD school clock work stuff
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:03 PM
Ron M.
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2011
79 Posts
Hell , I had a hard time passing R/C Eletronics for Dummies 101,now I really feel intimidated by tis new jargon.
Ronkat is offline Find More Posts by Ronkat