SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:13 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
FMS 1450mm P-51B Shangri-la: The Un-Boxing!

This is my Un-Boxing and evaluation of the new FMS 1450mm P-51B Shangri-la!

As I reported on the FMS 1450mm V7.5 P-51D BBD, they have, once again, done their homework!

FMS has added a few new amenities to the "B" which I think most of us will like.
Most notable is the new sliding battery tray part #ST-110. Right now they don't list the slider rails as a part, but it won't be hard to come up with something that will work.
The radiator scoop is now open, but IMO I'm not so sure it will serve any function, as one of the vent holes is right behind it, and there really isn't anything in line for in-coming air to cool.
There is now a handy quick disconnecting wiring harness assembly for those of us who likes the 1-piece wing configuration.
The cockpit assembly now has both an entrance and 2 exits holes for ventilation, but I'm not sure the one magnet mounted in the rear will be enough to keep the cockpit locked in the fuse? As on the V7.5 "D", the pilot is full figured, and is held in place with 2 screws along with glue, but I found that the glue on mine didn't adhere to good, as he fell out as soon as I removed the screws.
*A note on the canopy*. There has been some discussion on the possibility of changing the canopy to the Malcolm hood utilizing the canopy off the 1400 Spitfire. Philip sent me one, and as Tom H stated, the Spitfire canopy is to small. The "B" canopy is 10 1/8"L X 4"W X 2 7/8"T.

With the exception of those items I just mentioned, the "B" model is identical to the V7.5 "D" model. The only difference in the wings are the guns, 2 on the "B" vs. 3 on the "D". Other then that, they both have the PZ-312 E-Tracts, the same alum. strut, 3" detailed wheels, and the same LG bay door config. The tail wheel/bay door config. are the same. The elevator has spars in both the ele. and the control surfaces, and the same 1-piece joiner utilizing only one linkage rod. During a bit of break in flexing of the rudder there appeared to be some dilapidation towards the lower foam hinge. I'll be re-hinging for sure!

I am disappointed in the included decal sheet. No detailing on the gas caps as there are on the "D" model's, just red circles. There are only half the maintenance stencils as well.

It has the G&C 4250-540kv motor running off the oem 65A ESC w/5A BEC.
The prop & spinner incorporate the 3mm x 17mm bolts and ny-locks.
9g servos on the ailerons, inner-fairing doors, and tail wheel steer.
9g digital slow motion servos for the flaps
17g servos for both the elevator and rudder.

I did have two glitches on mine during the evaluation. The tail wheel cycled twice before it went dead on me in the closed position. I'm going to have to figure a way to get in there and remove the assembly to see what's wrong?
While I was fitting the vertical stab in its 2-pin receiver thingie in the fuse, it stuck in place and I had to pry it out. When it did release, it left the plastic pin thingie in the other plastic receiver thingie in the fuse! Once I got them separated I found some of that proverbial FMS rubber glue had gotten in there and hadn't quite dried yet. Once I extract that glue, all I have to do is re-glue the thingie to the foam and reinstall. ~see thumbs for better explanation~

The only thing I have to ponder now is sticking with the "Shangri-la" livery, or go with the "Old Crow" livery? Other then that, this plane should be a breeze to assemble!

~~~~Thumbnails~~~~
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Mar 21, 2014 at 06:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,811 Posts
Good review

Bummer about the spitfire canopy not fitting. I do hope they offer a Malcolm Hood option at some stage.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:48 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
A looker.

Looking forward to your flight review.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:26 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Good review

Bummer about the spitfire canopy not fitting. I do hope they offer a Malcolm Hood option at some stage.
I hear 'ya Steve. I'm going to check out that Malcolm canopy at Park Flyers and see if it might work? I'm planning to make it a slider so maybe a little cutting here and there might make it work?

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
A looker.

Looking forward to your flight review.
Might be awhile, Dave, we just some more snow overnite!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:32 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
Might be awhile, Dave, we just some more snow overnite!

Gary
:S
It's been a terrible winter, far worse than last year. No flying whatsoever. Please, let it be spring again.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Gary I'm with you on the Shangrila. Let the other guys drool over the DD but this is the first "real" Shangrila in the big foamy market to my knowledge. Afterall Gentile never flew the D model in combat, only on the war bond tour.

Look forward to getting one to replace my old Marie. Have to save some pennies first so i will live vicariously through your blog.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:07 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Gary I'm with you on the Shangrila. Let the other guys drool over the DD but this is the first "real" Shangrila in the big foamy market to my knowledge. Afterall Gentile never flew the D model in combat, only on the war bond tour.

Look forward to getting one to replace my old Marie. Have to save some pennies first so i will live vicariously through your blog.

Regards,
Alan
That is what has always confused me? I was unaware that Gentile and his Shangri-la were ever a "D" model, so I couldn't understand why FMS has always pushing the "D" Shangri-la?

I actually picked it for 4 reasons. First, because Gentile's "B" was the most famous of them all. Second, I'm on the fence between his Shangri-la or Bud Anderson's Old Crow, or maybe the Old Crow that Jack Roush is now flying, hence the reason I'm interested in the Malcolm canopy. Fourth, and probably the biggest factor, I wasn't impressed with that nose art on the Dallas Darling!

I'm sure we'll see the kits arrive on the west coast sometime around springtime.
I'm not so sure this new "B" couldn't qualifies as the new V8 P-51. It has all the features of the V7.5 plus the new battery tray and wiring harness so why not? You will like her Alan! She's a vast improvement over the earlier versions.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
I guess making the Shangrila a D model made some sense as it was an actual plane. The Marie on the other hand I don't get at all why they have not fixed that through all the versions. I have no idea where they got the pics to copy for that scheme.

BTW agree on the DD's nose art. Really bad. Old Crow would be nice. post pics if you do a repaint. Hopefully by Spring/Summer I can justify yet another model!
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
I guess making the Shangrila a D model made some sense as it was an actual plane. The Marie on the other hand I don't get at all why they have not fixed that through all the versions. I have no idea where they got the pics to copy for that scheme.

BTW agree on the DD's nose art. Really bad. Old Crow would be nice. post pics if you do a repaint. Hopefully by Spring/Summer I can justify yet another model!
As usual, I'll keep my build up to date as time goes along. Looks like I'll be starting with the tail feathers as that's where I've encountered problems.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:57 PM
Trees Are Stupid
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2013
3,935 Posts
I bought that very model in a balsa kit in 1990. Wasn't smart enough to know I couldn't build it and even if I had it built and bought everything else, I couldn't fly it. So its really cool to see it in a foamie and within my price range and soon within my skill to fly....the Shangri La version. I'm suprised there isn't more about this plane in RCGroups forums...did you ever fly it? What did it fly like? What problems or shortfalls did you find with it?
BeavisUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC