New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name:
Tricopters

Category: Aircraft- Electric- Multirotors

Description:
A place to discuss this off-beat breed of multirotor

Justification:
I just built, and have flown, my first tricopter, and realize that it is a completely different breed of cat from other multirotors. It might be nice to have a forum for pople who are interested in tricopters. Also, it would be good to break a tricopter forum out from the multirotor forum where a lot of the talk is about FPV, AP, camera gimbels, and other things that mostly don't pertain to directly to tricopters.
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:41 PM
CunningStuntsFPV
Australia, WA, Dirk Hartog Island
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
Why not?; will put all the tri info in one spot ! Good idea.
figgoat is offline Find More Posts by figgoat
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:12 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2012
129 Posts
I mainly fly tricopters, but I don't personally feel there is enough that is different to justifie a seperate forum. Before you know it we will have a hexa, octo, and bicopter forum. Hardware wise every thing is the same except the yaw mechanism. Sure they fly a little different, but I don't think that warrants a seperate forum. Just my two cents.
livinlife is offline Find More Posts by livinlife
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:11 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,123 Posts
Depends on how you look at it I guess.

In the realm of multis with 4+ motors, there are all kinds of commercial frames available, and plenty of ARF and RTF platforms available, especially in the high-end AP area.

By contrast, the majority of tricopter frames are pretty much homemade. I know there are a few ready made frames available for tricopters, but it's nothing compared to quads and above. This by itself sets tricopters apart. And the fact that no two are alike, especially when it comes to the design of the yaw mechanism.

That's my 2cents worth
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 AM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
516 Posts
I don't see the sense of a separated tricopter forum too. the only thing that is the major difference between tri/quadcopter is the yaw mechanism. I think this issue could be handled with making the yaw mechanism thread a sticky or similar, but just that diversion of homemade frame / buyable frame or other minor differences do not back up enought to open a seperate forum.
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,418 Posts
I think a "NEWBIE" sub-forum is in order for all the dumb questions we see on a daily basis. Maybe every single thread in that sub-forum could be stickied?

A tricopter sub forum is not a bad idea.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:20 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
I think a "NEWBIE" sub-forum is in order for all the dumb questions we see on a daily basis. Maybe every single thread in that sub-forum could be stickied?

A tricopter sub forum is not a bad idea.
Well, since you mention it, I get tired of sorting all of the actual multirotor posts out from the FPV, AP, camera gimbel, etc. hokum. Maybe there should be a sub-forum for that stuff.

I'm still holding out for a tricopter subforum because they are unique, require a good deal of initiative and inventiveness to build, and they are just cool. Sets them apart from all those cookie cutter DJI clones, and any other ready made frame you can name.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
How about having a private 'Multirotor Pros' forum for those that are too good help others out and would rather just bitch+moan about newbies than just ignore them? The multirotors forums are a pretty newbie-hostile place...

(I don't think tricopters need a separate forum, though. Maybe a 'Multirotor Aerial Photography' or 'Sport Multirotors' forum to separate those that fly purely for fun and those that fly to photograph/film?)
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:44 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post
(I don't think tricopters need a separate forum, though. Maybe a 'Multirotor Aerial Photography' or 'Sport Multirotors' forum to separate those that fly purely for fun and those that fly to photograph/film?)
Not a bad idea. I've always thought that a Sport Flying or LOS Flying forum might be cool.

But what's wrong with a Tricopter forum? Some folk say that they aren't different enough from regular multis to justify a forum, but "Mini Multirotors" have a separate forum. How exactly are they so different from regular multis and tris aren't? A miniquad is still a quad. Tris are more different from quads than miniquads are from quads, if you follow my reasoning.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post
How about having a private 'Multirotor Pros' forum for those that are too good help others out and would rather just bitch+moan about newbies than just ignore them? The multirotors forums are a pretty newbie-hostile place...
I suggested it so there would be a quicker way for me to help newbs. Right now I am wading through 3 to 5 pages of the same threads, and maybe there will be one or two posts from a newb that is worthy of a reply. Most newb's post the same crap, that would be better "stickied" in a newb forum, for them to see at a glance. Instead they have the "multirotor talk" which is just regular banter... and the "electronics" section which is for the dev's and pro's and a lot of end-users with problems.

A "newbie" forum would be a safe haven for the ones who NEED to get that first step into the door. Without having to post the same crappy "how's my wishlist look guys???" thread.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name:
Tricopters

Category: Aircraft- Electric- Multirotors

Description:
A place to discuss this off-beat breed of multirotor

Justification:
I just built, and have flown, my first tricopter, and realize that it is a completely different breed of cat from other multirotors. It might be nice to have a forum for pople who are interested in tricopters. Also, it would be good to break a tricopter forum out from the multirotor forum where a lot of the talk is about FPV, AP, camera gimbels, and other things that mostly don't pertain to directly to tricopters.
I just got to say that there are plenty of tricopter threads which is how I've been learning. Another section just takes away fromthe great info already here on Rc. Just search tri Copter build.

Why hijack my newbie build thread? Hmmmm. Others were stopping by to help which I needed. Nobody was complaining like on this thread-just helping. HMMMMM?!?
palcuz is offline Find More Posts by palcuz
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
811 Posts
Closed this thread per the OP's request.
awagar is offline Find More Posts by awagar
Closed Thread