HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:06 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
FMS 1450mm V7.5 P-51D BBD Build!

This is my build of the FMS 1450mm V7.5 P-51D..... "Big Beautiful Doll"

When I was un-boxing this plane, I quickly realized that FMS had done their homework, and there wasn't going to be much needed to get her airborne!

FMS P-51D Big Beautiful Doll (8 min 30 sec)

Big Beautiful Doll's specs:

Wingspan: 1450mm/57"
Length: 1240mm/49"
Weight: 2050g/72.3oz.
CG: 110mm from LE
OEM Battery: 14.8v 2600mAh Optional batteries: 4S 4000mAh or 5S 4000mAh
ESC: 65A w/5A SBEC
Motor: G&C 4250-540kv

My electronic specs:

RX..........OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
Flight Stabilizer....RX3S OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer V2
BEC....CC 10A BEC
Sequencer....Micro Gear sequencer.
Lazertoyz Maxi Lite....Lazertoyz Maxi lite controller.
Motor.....G&C 4250-540kv
ESC......FMS OEM 65A
Aileron servos...FMS 9g servo #SU-123
Flap servo.........FMS 9g Digital servo #SU-124
Inner LG bay door servo.....Hextronik MG-14
Tail Wheel steering servo....HXT900 9g
Elevator servo...... Hitec HS-82MG Micro Metal Gear Servo
Rudder servo.......HK 929MG 9g

FMS suggested throws:

~~~~~~~High rates~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Low rates~~~~~~~
Ailerons: 28mm/1" up & down....................17mm/0.7" up & down
Elevator: 40mm/1.6" up & down..................24mm/0.9" up & down
Rudder: 25mm/0.98" left & right................21mm/0.8" left & right
Flaps: Mid: 22mm/0.9" ~ Full: 45mm/1.8"

======================================
UP-DATE 4/06/2013: I decided I wanted to open up the radiator scoop, both for scale appearance and functionality.

If you have the latest version 7.5v P-51D, you probably already have the new open radiator scoop.

Knowing how well FMS glues the plastic parts on, I had already ordered the new P-51B radiator scoop from MotionRC in preparation of the old scoop coming off in multiple pieces which, to my surprise, didn't happen after all!
*NOTE: The link is to the P-51B scoop which is the new open scoop, not the P-51D which is the older closed scoop.

After successfully removing the scoop in one piece, I found there is a 3/4" thick wall with a black decal just behind it. I carefully cut out the outline of the decal to expose the open chamber behind it. I was surprised that chamber wasn't open! Not knowing what effect the air swirling around in there would have on the aerodynamics of the plane, I decided to venture further and see what it would take to open it up?

There is another wall 5 1/2" further back so I took an extended 1/8" drill bit and did a test drill to see what I was up against, and where it might lead to? That wall is only about 1/4" to 1/2" thick and opens up to the rear compartment of the plane where the two vent holes are. Satisfied with my new discovery, I then took an extended 3/8" drill bit and drilled several holes. Because I wanted an opening bigger then a few 3/8" holes, I took a hack saw blade and was able to cut a nice large opening in there.

After blowing all the left over foam residue out of the plane, I shot some flat black paint in the new scoop channel. After painting the new P-51B scoop with Krylon Bright silver, I glued a piece of perforated metal to the scoop opening to protect the radiator from any unwanted bird strikes, well....maybe a swarm of stray mosquitoes maybe? Once everything was dry, I glued the new scoop in place. It took all of about an hour to do the mod if you include all the painting.

The Big Beautiful Doll is now, even more scale and beautiful!

======================================

~~~~Thumbnails~~~~
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Apr 06, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:50 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,569 Posts
Curious what batteries you're running in your BBD and if you had to add weight to balance? I have Nano-Tech 4S 3300 in mine and am thinking that additional weight is in order.
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:27 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Curious what batteries you're running in your BBD and if you had to add weight to balance? I have Nano-Tech 4S 3300 in mine and am thinking that additional weight is in order.
I opened up the battery bay a bit so I could slide my 4S 5000 in there.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member