HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:46 PM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
309 Posts
Mal,

Here is a link to a nice setup guide that Rick Shelby did:
http://www.rcsoaring.com/store/setup...etup-guide.pdf

I still fly my Zenith 3.7 every weekend - please let me know if you have any other questions or would like a copy of my setup.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:41 PM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesoar View Post
Mal,

Here is a link to a nice setup guide that Rick Shelby did:
http://www.rcsoaring.com/store/setup...etup-guide.pdf

I still fly my Zenith 3.7 every weekend - please let me know if you have any other questions or would like a copy of my setup.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Joe
Good info. Thanks. What radio do you use? I use the Hitec A9.

I obviously need to spend more time programming. I'm still consider myself a beginner at these moldie full house gliders. What I think I need to do is set it so that it is as simple as possible but not dangerous and build on it from there. I first need to learn how to fly it before I start complicating it. I will not be able to maiden it until mid April at the earliest. The sod farm is under a foot+ of snow.

Mal
MajorMal is offline Find More Posts by MajorMal
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:14 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
309 Posts
Agreed - simple is good to start with.

I fly a DX18, but also have the configuration from when I had a 9303.

Here is the setup I use that I recently sent to a local member that bought a new Zenith 3.7:

Ail up 23.5 deg – ~20mm
Ail dn 5 deg – ~5 mm
Ail to flap mix up 1.5 deg – ~2.5mm
Ail to flap mix dn 1 deg – ~1mm

Reflex (thermal) 2.5 deg – ~3mm
Reflex (speed) 3.5 to 4 deg – ~4-5mm

El up 7.5 deg – ~10mm
El dn 10deg – ~12mm

Rudder 35 deg – ~25mm each direction

With full flap, 5.5 deg dn comp on El (experiment to your liking)

CG at ~111 mm

Tow hook setting 135 mm (measured for where the nose cone seat up to the fuse) – i.e. the tow ring will sit just ahead of the CG.

When setting up elevator to the servo measure about 100mm from the bottom of the fuse to the top of the rear alignment pin.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:42 AM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
Thank you very much Joe and every one else here. These RC groups are great. How the heck did we disseminate information before RC groups and the internet?

Those are a good starting point. Is the tow hook measured to the front edge of the hook? And the CG must be from the LE.

I'll have more questions but not for a couple months. These winters are killing me. Every year about this time I ask myself why the heck did I leave Texas. I may go out to a frozen lake on a nice day and give her a couple hand tosses.

Mal
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:07 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMal View Post
Those are a good starting point. Is the tow hook measured to the front edge of the hook? And the CG must be from the LE.

Mal
Safest for the hook if not stated would be measuring from the back of the hook, so that it ends up more forward than measured the other way.
When you hang the model on a key ring (or even better, the ring on the winch) and the CG is in a safe spot, the tail should hang down slightly. That way the tow hook is slightly forward of the CG.
Again, this assumes a safe CG (positive stability). Experts tend to tell you that the CG doesn't matter on tow, and the center of the tow ring IS the CG for the plane when on the winch. Confusing? Just remember that CG/Towhook forward planes don't fly fantastic, but they are safe, and aft CG/Towhook planes may just fly ONCE only!

I'm spoiled by being able to fly through the year here. Flew for 4.5 hours today from a bungee- in short pants.
Of course, Thursday night it took me 3 hours to get 73 miles from work to home with perfect weather.
Gotta take the good with the bad.

R,
Target
PS. Yes, standard measurement of CG is from the LE at the fuse sides, measured aft.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 02, 2013, 08:08 AM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
Update: Wow. Nice plane. I love the way it flies. It sniffs out those thermals like nobody's business. We had a Man on Man contest last week end. I got forth place. But only because I couldn't nail the landings. Wind and lack of practice. Oh and the winning pilots were much better than me. But the Zenith performed very well.

Still experimenting with the set up.

Mal
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
I have taken my Z 3.7 out of the cocoon that it has been sitting in for the past 2 years to revisit what I had for the setup. It was fun to see how the Z did against the Explorer 4.0’s on the field which, over the past year have become the go to design for many in my club. I moved the tow hook back significantly from the original location. It now pulls line tension on the tow just as my Pike does. As a result the launch is significantly higher than the local 4.0’s. I also use an aggressive 5mm of reflex on the TE at the top of the zoom to get this wing to max altitude on launch. The scream for the wing at max launch speed is a crack up. I just recently switched the landing profile from Jason George the premier Z pilot in the US and was impressed at the Z’s handling. I’ll make a few more adjustments and see how this does against all the new modern designs on the final few feet. As most of the guys who have owned a Z know the wing hangs on anything that is going up. It’s actually pretty impressive for a 72 ounce bird. It’s just unfortunate we cannot get one with newer materials and fabric weights for a 65 ounce machine.
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Kieth, the Z is a great ship, what I wished is that we could get some with the really light materials and such and update what had become a really great ship. Would not mind winning UNL at the Nats all over again with one!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
In the local contest we had yesterday the conditions were excellent for doing a bit of comparison between designs in weak humid thermal. My take away from the event was the Zenith in the 3.7m span has nothing to be ashamed of in TD contest. It has once again proven to me that in the hot humid conditions we get from time to time is Southern California it holds its own against the Pike Perfects, 4.0 X1ís, and Icon 2 designs. The X1ís performed as a big kite that just hung in the sky like a Zeppelin never losing height making its time. My Zenith with 1mm of added camber was able to climb at a higher rate in the same air when I was flying with it making me wonder what the X1 4.0 was doing in flight for setup.

Over the past week there has been a few comments on tow hook positions and launch camber. Various ideas have been tossed around which were pretty informative yet almost common sense. On one round in no wind I launched the Zenith where it took its normal hard pull vertical. At the half way point up the tow the retriever line hooked the eyelet on the guide for it. As a result this stepping stone base was immediately dragged forward then lifted 10 feet off the deck then pulled 200 feet down the launch line toward the turn around. Yes, I noticed the weight of the steeping stone on tow but even with it the Zenith pulled so much line tension the end launch height was higher than many of the X1 4.0ís. I never laughed this hard in a model contest until Phil Halford who was my timer described what he saw on that tow making that play by play description. Moral of the story here is you can buy better but I seriously doubt other designs will completely destroy the Zeniths launching capabilities.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:30 PM
in the air
in the air
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
In my years of flying Zeniths, I never have found a plane that climbs as fast in a thermal as a Zenith,
Can you imagine a spredtow carbon 3.8 Zenith???? I do think it needs a bit bigger flaps
I have flown a Z since 2002
he made beautiful planes
too bad he is not interested in making more
my 2cents
MB3
THE EYE is online now Find More Posts by THE EYE
Last edited by THE EYE; Jul 15, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
THE EYE of the Zee has spoken
Adding just a bit more span would be fun to try. At this point I'd just settle for any new materials knowing that a reduction is just 5 ounces would make a slower landing machine in light winds. What is this guy doing now? RPV's?? Nave needs to ring the bell one more time and see if the guys surfaces.