Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
I'm not sure what an hourglass is.
RknRusty is online now Find More Posts by RknRusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Two triangles connected at the pointy parts. I think the AMA requires them over head. They look bitchiner flown horizontally, from 5 feet to 45 degrees.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Tiger, I remember you suggesting square 8s in my "How do I do a wingover" thread back in the Fall. I never did, but I am getting better at wingovers. I can do lazy 8s all day, I do them if I start stumbling with a fast plane(all 1/2As) and the spirals someone was talking about, starting with a full up panic loop and backing off the elevator on the next couple. After the third, I usually have to pull out. I can do the same with outside loops too.

I can also stand my two Baby Flite Streaks on the lines straight overhead and do tiny loops, and have succeeded at a couple of 8s up there before the wind knocked it off the top. So I can "walk" but I haven't really tried learning to make my maneuvers round and symmetrical. All three of my main flyers do about 60mph on 40' lines.

I've been wanting to do the double wingovers that Greg was talking about. I think the Streak with the Norvel .061 has enough power to do it easily. The Streak with the Tee Dee .051 might, but it's not quite as tight on the lines as the one with the Big Mig. And the Tee Dee Li'l Satan should handle it. Just has to be a calm day for it to perform as well.

Here are my main go-to flyers, all three on pressure bladders, and my wing-launch stooge:
Attachment 5561605

I keep seeing Gregg's double wingovers, too. Come out of a wingover and make a 180 degree bottom turn. That's definitely bitchin. The more I think about it the bitchiner it is. My single boom Nemesis will do a full up or down 180 degree turn and it wont slow down-more than a 180 degree turn at full up or down will cause it to slow down a bit. That sucker'd come out of a dive and make a 180 degree bottom turn like bouncing off a trampoline with out ever slowing down? Truly BITCHIN! Can you see what that would look like? WT heck? A stunter would do it slower but prettier.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,188 Posts
Bob Hunt wrote about doing double wingovers to show someone that his plastic clunk tank would feed properly.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...erobatics2.pdf

Here is the rules for AMA CL Precision Aerobatics. I think they are accessible to non members.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
The weather finally gave us a present of clear and almost 70f yesterday, so I loaded up some planes and went flying. I'd been practicing wingovers last time I flew a month or so ago and was able to pull an occasional one out flat, but more of them were wobbly or climbed too high. But yesterday I was in tune pretty well and just flew one wingover after another. Practicing one stunt at a time until I can get through the beginner pattern in decent style.

I was hammering them yesterday, the little 7.2oz Streak will pull out instantly and I was managing to get respectable flat pullouts about 7 out of every 10 times. I was really happy with that. I did my other usual freestyle routine, but somehow I forgot to try the double wingover. I'm kicking myself, I thought about it on the way home. Oh well, I'll save it for the next nice day.
RknRusty is online now Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Cutting the grass! This one's from the old days but it sure as hell isn't in the AMA pattern. Intentionally fly low enough to just barely cut a little grass. You don't want to overdo this one!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Few things are bitchiner looking then launching a FC plane with 80% nitromethane vertically. With 80% nitro, the plane will hit top speed in 6 or 7 feet. It takes off in a burst of RPM and speed like a TF dragster, straight up!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
200 Posts
You should watch big gas free flight launches some time!!!
Gnu4FF is offline Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:25 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu4FF View Post
You should watch big gas free flight launches some time!!!

reminds me of seeing a huge free flight taking off inverted about head high at the Seguin or Lake Charles NATS one year. Flew about 200 feet at over 100 mph. Damn sure cleared a path! Hit the concrete and scattered. All of a sudden combat planes looked safe compared to that!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
This one was primarily a defensive FC move. Dive and zig-zag left and right, not enough to lose any speed, but enough to shake the persuer off your tail/streamer.