HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I'm getting stoked again! I was beginning to think I was hogging this thread or bragging and not getting much response! Jim, Gnu and everyone thanks for your input. Self taught, I've always done wing overs both ways-having never been told to do them otherwise, or maybe I don't know what a "inverse wing-over" is.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu4FF View Post
How many have tried the inverse wing-over (wing-under)?
I've actually seen that done. At the Lincoln Nats, Steve Kott I believe flew his 1/2A combat from the dorm window. It was just the right length that they could start it on the ground while he was hanging out of the window. He did several "wing unders" Another fine photo opertunity that I missed.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I remember seeing Jim Walker fly 2 birds at the same time-not in the AMA pattern. OOOps! 3 birds.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:40 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
I've actually seen that done. At the Lincoln Nats, Steve Kott I believe flew his 1/2A combat from the dorm window. It was just the right length that they could start it on the ground while he was hanging out of the window. He did several "wing unders" Another fine photo opertunity that I missed.
Somewhere, some time, there was a very tall "Judges' Stand / Reviewing Stand" at the side of a field we flew at some. I think it was after Jeff was old enough to remember it, so I will ask if he recalls what / who -- someone from among our group, and I can't recall doing it myself, climbed atop the stand, about 15' tall, maybe taller, to fly some.

I think that whoever it was could hold a half-A's handle at top-of-his-head height to do wing-unders with a Jumpin Bean sized, Black Widow tanked 049. But the guy who comes to mind as being unable to resist wasn't particularly "tall" (Jim Widener).

(I hate having the good memories fade out like that!)

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
This one isn't in the AMA pattern either. Flying while not looking at your plane. I think it was mentioned in some other thread that some cat few two planes while not looking.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:58 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
This one isn't in the AMA pattern either. Flying while not looking at your plane. I think it was mentioned in some other thread that some cat few two planes while not looking.
A flying mate told me recently that Bob Palmer did, at one time - possibly more- fly the pattern blindfolded.

G
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
It is common to see combat fliers practice flying doing maneuvers while never looking at the airplane.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Laying on your back and flying.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:01 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
A manoeuvre I like to do is the double wing over.

In stead of pulling out level. either upright or inverted, simply go back up into another wing over.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
How'd I miss this thread. I never had any CL training either, so I just go out and fly freestyle. I'm still an amateur compared to some of the stunts you guys are talking about. I want to learn the classic pattern this Summer now that I finally have a fleet of planes that can do it. But I love just going nuts and making it up as I fly. and Wowing all those ol' RC stiffies as they yawn and fly their big fat ARFs and talk about batteries and stuff.

I seriously need to add some excitement to my routines though, they're getting stale and too simple. I was finally getting pretty good at simple wingovers, but the holidays, weather, house, family, etc all put a cramp in it. The captain extinguished the Fun Light! I hope I don't forget how to fly before it all clears up!
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Rkn, Work on square 8's. IMO, they are the best exercise to get really good, it's hard to crash when learning them, your lines don't get a single twist in them, you can fly them with the wind at your back and they can't make you dizzy or disoriented.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:01 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Rkn, Work on square 8's. IMO, they are the best exercise to get really good, it's hard to crash when learning them, your lines don't get a single twist in them, you can fly them with the wind at your back and they can't make you dizzy or disoriented.
Are you kidding? How about learning to walk before you run? In the FAI pattern, where each manoeuvre has a difficulty factor, the square 8 has the highest factor of 18 compared to the round 8's which have a factor of 7. Once past the wing over and inside loops, probably the next best one to practise is the lazy 8 which looks like an infinity sign. This gives practise at giving down control to finish safely and the lazy 8 can gradually be extended as some practise at getting the hang of flying inverted.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Standing with the wind on your back and practicing square 8's vs wingovers? I suggest square 8's. Not only that, but with some shadow boxing pracitice, Rkn could be doing some pretty good square 8's soon.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:30 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Tiger, I remember you suggesting square 8s in my "How do I do a wingover" thread back in the Fall. I never did, but I am getting better at wingovers. I can do lazy 8s all day, I do them if I start stumbling with a fast plane(all 1/2As) and the spirals someone was talking about, starting with a full up panic loop and backing off the elevator on the next couple. After the third, I usually have to pull out. I can do the same with outside loops too.

I can also stand my two Baby Flite Streaks on the lines straight overhead and do tiny loops, and have succeeded at a couple of 8s up there before the wind knocked it off the top. So I can "walk" but I haven't really tried learning to make my maneuvers round and symmetrical. All three of my main flyers do about 60mph on 40' lines.

I've been wanting to do the double wingovers that Greg was talking about. I think the Streak with the Norvel .061 has enough power to do it easily. The Streak with the Tee Dee .051 might, but it's not quite as tight on the lines as the one with the Big Mig. And the Tee Dee Li'l Satan should handle it. Just has to be a calm day for it to perform as well.

Here are my main go-to flyers, all three on pressure bladders, and my wing-launch stooge:
Name: fleet and stooge.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 308.0 KB
Description:
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Feb 23, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
I have done that and horizontal hour glass. I've always thought I might enjoy stunt if it had a free style addition to the standard pattern. I'll do quad 8's, a full lap of insides and a full lap of outsides, making each loop the same size, Inverted split s's, as well as the complete stunt pattern. The fun part is I do it with a 100mph combat plane!
Yes, amazingly round loops, of any diamter. That's a helluva stunt you won't find in the AMA pattern. And if you can do them one way you can do them the other. Wow! Those are almost as bitchin as square 8s!