HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
Bitchin CL Stunts Not Found In The AMA Pattern

OK, stuffing one into a trash can in a full speed dive looks easy but sometimes proves difficult. Balloon breaks I'd accept, and writing your name with your plane shows class. I always liked to hammer head my single boom Nemesis out of a perfect wingover and pull out at the very last second, less than 2 feet from the ground. How about you? I'll bet there are many that have performed/perfected stunts that I never thought of...
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:59 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
I will settle for the occasional good landing these days!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:19 AM
Aviator
Australia, NSW, Anna Bay
Joined Aug 2011
104 Posts
Inverted triangular loops, ie with the point at the bottom.
warrenlead is offline Find More Posts by warrenlead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hunter Valley Champs 2014
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenlead View Post
I have done that and horizontal hour glass. I've always thought I might enjoy stunt if it had a free style addition to the standard pattern. I'll do quad 8's, a full lap of insides and a full lap of outsides, making each loop the same size, Inverted split s's, as well as the complete stunt pattern. The fun part is I do it with a 100mph combat plane!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
OOOOooooh, I thought this would be a great thread!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,172 Posts
One reason stunt is the healthiest area of control line flying is that we have flown essentially the same pattern since 1957. It is not like other areas of control line competition where rules changes occur which make what you have obsolete. The other thing, perhaps even more important, is that stunt has successfully created skill categories, so one can fly against persons of similar skill. There is also Old Time and Classic stunt where the airplanes and rules (OTS flies the 1951-52 pattern) are time limited as to when the airplanes were created.

There has been talk about modifying the modern pattern to include inverted triangles, but no action, so far. There are a contest or two which fly the Mirror Meet pattern, which has a number of maneuvers not included elsewhere. Freestyle stunt has been flown, but has not caught on. I have seen it flown well, and it requires some thought and practice of choreography, more than one would think.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I presume we've all seen the new flyer who loses control by over controlling instantly. The plane makes some terrific moves, that always intrigued me, before it meets it's unavoidable, near future. But some of the moves were GREAT! Especially in low wind, I like to fly around 80 to 90 degrees and just jerk the control around to get some nice, interesting moves out of my airplane. You often cross your wash up there injecting even more interest. You won't see that in a stunt contest.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
...Freestyle stunt has been flown, but has not caught on. I have seen it flown well, and it requires some thought and practice of choreography, more than one would think.
Not to mention the judges having to learn how to recognize and score the maneuvers.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenlead View Post
I sometimes finish off a flight with them to uncross the lines. Strangely I find them easier to do than the normal triangle . My way of doing them is to start off in normal level flight at 45 degrees then use down control for all corners.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Someone must have thought of this one before I did, but I call it an inside pinwheel. Fly along at about 45 degrees and give it full up, at the bottom of the loop, give it about 5 degrees of down. Repeat for a total of 6 or 7 ever larger, round loops. When you get good at this try some outside pinwheels. Next? try some over head pinwheels starting at 90 degrees. I found these perfect training exercises for improving my loops, flying at 90 degrees and control.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:58 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
tigreflyer,

Is that sort of like a flipping loop with a helicopter (a large loop, with a very small loop or flip at evenly spaced intervals throughout the loop)?
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Evenly spaced, concentric and increasing in diameter each time. Kinda like scoring rings on a bulls eye target.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Like Hendrix and Berry were self taught guitar players, I never had the benefit of someone better teaching me how to fly until I tied up with The Skyburners. Somehow I knew a 4 leaf clover was flown in competetion and incorrectly, I thought square figure 8's were also flown in competetion. I learned to do these between 5 foot and 45 degrees. At 120+ MPH these are probably the bitchinist stunts I fly that are not in the AMA pattern. I don't fly the clover like the AMA dictates it is to be flown.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,172 Posts
Are you referring to square vertical 8's? We fly the hourglass instead. George Aldrich wanted to replace it with a vertical square 8, but the contest board at the time did not agree. One that I like is from the 1948 British stunt pattern. The over head 8's are not flown down to 45 degrees as we do in the modern pattern, but down to level flight on either side.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
200 Posts
How many have tried the inverse wing-over (wing-under)?
Gnu4FF is online now Find More Posts by Gnu4FF