HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:14 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
HZ Champ transmitter has trim buttons, small round buttons in pairs by the sticks.
The motor is mounted with a down and right thrust angle to compensate for effects created by the turning motor and propeller.

I have flown the champ in less than 10F, but the batteries will not be effective in such cold, and you get shorter flight times. There is some tricks described in the Champ thread on how to keep the battery warmer when flying in the cold...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
We were talking about big open areas to fly....Here's a picture of the field I fly in.

I have a lot of choices of where I can fly.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
yeah i can probably find some fields like that. out by my moms house there is even a whole development of houses that were never built. its just roads winding through a huge field. used to run my pocket bikes and go karts and stuff out there. i just got some info on a golf dome that does open fridays for micros and parkflyers. i think im gonna check it out this week
davidstroman is offline Find More Posts by davidstroman
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:08 AM
no catchy phrase
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2013
199 Posts
what makes high winged planes easier to fly then low wing? I am about to purchase a fly zone F4U………..it's 1230mm??? I think. I would like some thing bigger, I noticed my problem or rather where I get into trouble is when the plan is out aways, it is hard to tell top from bottom,wings level or not in turns. I am smart enough to fly high enough it hasn't cost me…..yet. I was wondering if painting the wing tips would help??????? Please don't say get glasses, wife said that aleady.
rcplanenoob78 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanenoob78
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:10 AM
no catchy phrase
Joined Feb 2013
199 Posts
Oh one last thing any one know know if FMS sells their 1600 or 1700 planes RTF? Or any good online stores carry them?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:30 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanenoob78 View Post
what makes high winged planes easier to fly then low wing? I am about to purchase a fly zone F4U………..it's 1230mm??? I think. I would like some thing bigger, I noticed my problem or rather where I get into trouble is when the plan is out aways, it is hard to tell top from bottom,wings level or not in turns. I am smart enough to fly high enough it hasn't cost me…..yet. I was wondering if painting the wing tips would help??????? Please don't say get glasses, wife said that aleady.
of course, if you fly high then different colors do help. when i had a cub, while i didn't invert it at high altitude, the stripes on the underside of the wing were useful. but colors should help on distinguishing top and underside of wing too.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
I know that BananHobby sells their 1400mm planes RTF. That's a big plane at 55" wingspan. Their 1700mm Dago Red is RX ready.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:53 AM
no catchy phrase
Joined Feb 2013
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I know that BananHobby sells their 1400mm planes RTF. That's a big plane at 55" wingspan. Their 1700mm Dago Red is RX ready.
Have you bought planes from them before? I am just curious. I am contemplating buying a plane from them. But I have heard a lot of conflicting info about their business practices. Not to mention people seem to always have issues with their planes "NIB". I know they all come from china but if I am going ot sink that much money into a plane I would at least like to know they(BH) will do the best they can to make the plane flyable even though they do not manufacture the plane.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
i maidened my glasair the other day and went again the next day. 1 crash and only because on my first flight i was already trying inverted flight cracked the cowl and slightly bent front gear (fixed cowl with piece of tape and took out front gear and bent it straight). with the elevator at stock throw it wont and i was too low to recover.
next day i increased the elevator throw 1 notch and it flew upside down no problem. at 1/4 throttle it wouldn't even stall. I love this plane but i really dont think i need the Virtual instructor. might be helpful to teach friends to fly it.
landings and takeoffs on top of hard pack snow with 1/4" of powder on the top (really couldn't believe it was working that well on top of snow) both days wind was around 10 mph as well and i could barely feel it at all. my champ and UM p-51 cant fly at all in over 5mph wind

I think if you have some experience a apprentice might be a better plane since it price dropped to like 230 and it has a DX5e so u can use it for stuff with retracts and stuff. but having only flown the apprentice on simulators i would say my glasair is a better plane. Oh and the battery packs for the glasair are about half the price of the apprentice 3300mah

And the only flaw i have found with my plane is the battery leads could have been a bit longer so it was easier to plug in. also a screw to mount the tail fin would be nicer then the tape (might have to come up with a mod for a different way to attach it) i thought about using velcro somehow but i dont want to damage the foam. maybe small cotter pins down and through the fuselage and tail section
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:06 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
Yes I have, but only the 800mm size and I was pretty disappointed with the plane. But, I have friends that have them and fly them all the time. Not RTF but usually the ARF kits that are ready for receiver with everything already installed, retracts, lights, ESC, motor, etc. One thing to remember, stuff that you buy from NitroPlanes, Banana Hobby, or Hobbyking, really has to be inspected and gone over to make sure that the plane will fly right. Those planes are not like the ones that Horizon Hobby or Hobbico sells where you assemble the plane put the battery in and fly it. That is why I am always reluctant to recommend a plane from those companies to newbies. It takes a bit of work to get them to fly reliably. That usually takes an experienced pilot who knows what to do.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
[QUOTE=rcplanenoob78;24223181]Have you bought planes from them before? I am just curious. I am contemplating buying a plane from them. But I have heard a lot of conflicting info about their business practices. Not to mention people seem to always have issues with their planes "NIB". I know they all come from china but if I am going ot sink that much money into a plane I would at least like to know they(BH) will do the best they can to make the plane flyable even though they do not manufacture the plane.[/QUOTE}

yeah i think you get what you pay for and if you have dead servos or incorrect esc installed or something you would be waiting a long time for parts if you ever even got them. I didn't hear any conflicting info about bannana, nitro, Hobbyking, everyone said the same thing. service is terrible or nonexistent. many planes sent out with dead servos or smaller esc amps then listed. or broken parts.

thats why i guess im glad i spent a bit more and bought a plane in a actual store and got to see the plane before i bought it. i have bought 3 horizon hobby planes so far and they all function perfectly (although beatup from crashing)