HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:29 PM
crazyflyer
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Gee I thought the Super Cub was a great trainer.
Maybe you need someone to help you get started,like another experianced flyer.
I flew my SC most of the summer and had minimal damage.
But I gave it to my son and he is flying it now. Still no new parts.
Maybe you aren't going about learning to fly properly. You shouldn't be trying stunts before you can fly flat level and control where you want to go.
learn to do level flight, then flat figure eight's the field, approches pull outs.
Also the TX has a speed control don't try to fly full speed back the speed off to half or a little more that gives you more reaction time and it also will fly longer on a battery charge.
Learn the plane then after you get comfortable with that and, are good at it then do loops and inverted flight that cub can do all of them and it should have pleanty of power to do it in it's limitations. Remember it is a TRAINER not a high speed stunt plane. find a flyer that will help you out with the bacises of flying it's a great hobby enjoy it.
Anyway I wish you well on your flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
I'm a beginner and after doing my own "research" I went with a Hobby Zone Super Cub RTF.

I've flown it twice and crashed 3 times. Parts do break but they are relatively inexpensive to replace. This plane is really tough. I have broken the cowl, a prop and the motor mount. The motor mount is the most expensive so far at $8.99. But, I see that HZ now has a machined motor mount.!! I'm definately going to order one.

As for flying this cub, it's got enough power to keep you out of trouble if you are flying high, like 200 to 300 feet. It needs a large field to fly in. It covers a lot of ground in a hurry. I'm learning on my own so far and I am happy with my choice.

The biggest thing imo is, buy something in which parts are readily available at your LHS.(local hobby shop) You will crash and you will break parts and you're going to want to get back in the air right away.

Just for kicks here's a picture of mine when I got it together...

Edit: I just noticed the machined motor mount is for Eflight motors only which run between $40 to $50.
1crazyflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1crazyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:43 PM
crazyflyer
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
I would tell you that the AMA is well worth the money.
And the insurance is worth that.
1crazyflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1crazyflyer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
hey piper ron.
I think the plastic motor mount is a great asset on the cub Did a nose plant on my first flight and busted up the motor mount . I think it saved slot of damage had the mount been solid.
I love my cub. used to crash quite regular but now hardly atoll. most of my problems came from flying in to much wind. I am slowly upping my ability to fly in wind as I gain experience. After brealing 2 nose cones I bouht a 3rd but will not install it till I get much more experience there cheap but break to darn easy.
Great plane if you are self taught

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
I'm a beginner and after doing my own "research" I went with a Hobby Zone Super Cub RTF.

I've flown it twice and crashed 3 times. Parts do break but they are relatively inexpensive to replace. This plane is really tough. I have broken the cowl, a prop and the motor mount. The motor mount is the most expensive so far at $8.99. But, I see that HZ now has a machined motor mount.!! I'm definately going to order one.

As for flying this cub, it's got enough power to keep you out of trouble if you are flying high, like 200 to 300 feet. It needs a large field to fly in. It covers a lot of ground in a hurry. I'm learning on my own so far and I am happy with my choice.

The biggest thing imo is, buy something in which parts are readily available at your LHS.(local hobby shop) You will crash and you will break parts and you're going to want to get back in the air right away.

Just for kicks here's a picture of mine when I got it together...

Edit: I just noticed the machined motor mount is for Eflight motors only which run between $40 to $50.
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
one thing i didn't like about the cub was the motor mount and gearbox. it seems very week.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
he did actually suggest the champ as a good micro.
how does AMA insurance work though? does it cover damage to ur plane or just so u dont get sued if u hurt someone/break something?
i really do think i will like the super cub and the snow skis would be perfect right now...... but im wondering if the sensei is worth the extra $100? im unsure of the difference but i believe super cub has no ailerons and the sensei does? i am quite comfortable with the concepts of flying a small plane (like i said a lot of microsoft flight sim) so i am quite comfortable with yaw roll and pitch. i want to be able to have the most control possible. anybody seen/flown the sensei? i saw a review for super cub DSM and the sensei by the same 2 guys and they seemed to like the sensei more.

i think im going to just go with the (that looks good) idea and buy one tomorrow.

also i have been trying phoenix v3 but all i have for control is a joystick and the throttle only works 100% or 0%. still i found the super cub extremely easy besides a few rough landings. and then i tried a edf jet and realized why they aren't for beginners... toooooooo fast

also still wondering what the difference is between the included transmitters is
the super cub DSM comes with a Spektrum DX4e 4-Channel 2.4GHz DSMX
sensei has a Tactic 2.4GHz TTX600 FHSS 6-channel
guy at the shop said something about they dont bind with non tactic recievers or something? i want the tactic cuz its 6-channel but is it useless if i get more planes?
davidstroman is offline Find More Posts by davidstroman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:24 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,490 Posts
Hobbyzone champ was my first plane and I love it probably my most loved plane! Definitely recommended!
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:42 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
If you have no previous experience, the Flyzone Sensei and an instructor to buddy box with would be the way to go. The Switch and the Cessna's are not beginner planes at all. The Hobbico Cessna is cheaper because it is smaller.
++ To this. Sensei gets my vote as well for a beginner.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
The Sensei looks like a great plane. When I was shopping for my first plane I didn't bump into the Sensei. I may have chosen that over the Super Cub.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
i now own a hobbyzone glasair sportsman. was a little less then the sensei or apprentice 15e but more then the super cub and it has ailerons also besides a few little imperfections its a really good looking plane. the foam is nice smooth and fairly clean. And i think i might find some time to paint it. guy at the shop said to use a acrylic paint and it helps strengthen the airframe a little without much weight.

put the plane together in 20 minutes, now just waiting to charge the battery and find a good spot to fly.
is it bad to charge the battery and leave it charged or is it worse to leave them low? if i get anymore planes im gonna try to find a multicharger/balancer

any other tips before this thing get its maiden flight? i think i might just taxi around in a parking lot for the first charge just to get a feel for it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:28 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstroman View Post
is it bad to charge the battery and leave it charged or is it worse to leave them low? if i get anymore planes im gonna try to find a multicharger/balancer

any other tips before this thing get its maiden flight?
charge batt just before flight if you can. don't leave it charged for too long. several folks put their's on storage charge.

you should get a good charger even with one batt. i use: http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP610CACDC.html

for your maiden. try flying early in the morning when there is almost no wind. no extreme movements, control surfaces require small corrections only. try low rates if your radio has them. the anxiety you may feel on your maiden is your biggest obstacle. if you are going to hit the ground at any time, shut off throttle.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
The Glasair.!! Sweet.

First flight, stay cool. Try to trim the plane. Fly high and stay well away from any trees. Find the biggest dog gone open area that you can find. NO obstructions. These planes are fast and before you know it you can be in trouble. Once your up, cut the throttle back and fly as slow as you can without loosing lift.

I got parts today. I'm flying in the morning. Hardest part is staying cool under the immense excitement you'll feel. I'm going to work on that in the morning.

Good luck and just have fun with it. You've got a great plane.!!
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:42 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Yes it isn't good to leave your battery sitting around fully charged for long periods of time. Nor is it good to fully discharge it either. I suggest you check out this website, it has a lot of helpful info and guidelines to follow for lipo batteries.

You should also take a few minutes and read the six keys to success for new pilots. It covers the most common mistakes made by beginners.

Also to clarify what the guys at the store were talking about with the DX4e is that some of the more advanced bind-n-fly planes may require certain transmitter features that the DX4e doesn't have. The DX4e is a basic entry level transmitter without multiple model memory. This means that if you want to use more than one plane with it you'll need to rebind to the receiver when switching planes and re-enter the settings.

Good luck with you new plane.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstroman View Post
also still wondering what the difference is between the included transmitters is
the super cub DSM comes with a Spektrum DX4e 4-Channel 2.4GHz DSMX
sensei has a Tactic 2.4GHz TTX600 FHSS 6-channel
guy at the shop said something about they dont bind with non tactic recievers or something? i want the tactic cuz its 6-channel but is it useless if i get more planes?
Rayne already addressed your question about model memory.
i happen to have both these radios. i have the dx4e bound to the ar6115e on my t28 and to my um spitfire.
the ttx600 is bound to my larger parkflyer spitfire with the 6 ch tactic rx. i don't use more than 4 channels on any of my planes.
they're both good radios but as Rayne mentioned, do not have model memory or expo. they don't have adjustable rates either (only dual rates). they suit my needs though.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
i will just use this as a learning thing. next year at tax time its possible i could drop $300 and a really good transmitter. or at least $150 on a digital one and then get a bit faster plane (as i said i do really want a jet and at least i could use my transmitter for some of the cheaper jets)
piperRon do you have this plane too? my new best friend (lol) up at the hobbyzone store said im the first one to buy that plane so i should come back and let him know how it flies. he also said within a month they will have all the replacement parts in stock for it.
I was playing Flying Model Simulator this afternoon with my dx4e to practice (after discovering i can use a male-male headphone cord to the microphone port on computer and after a program or 2 viola i have a transmitter working on my computer) the only thing i had problems with when flying a few planes that are similar to mine was on the landing. when i am in the air i am quite confident as long as i can see where the nose is pointing.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
Also if anyone does have this plane yet what kind of mods are possible? im really thinking i need to get some kinda skis on this thing so i can fly out on the lake. also what is a good upgrade battery? can i run a higher Voltage battery or does that require a esc and motor that can handle it?