HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
Discussion
best planes for a beginner

Looking to spend in the $200-300 range. so far i have ruled out going for one of the cheaper sites due to too many complaints about poor customer service and components. i was going to go through tower hobby as i haven't heard that many bad things and some people recommended them.
my choices so far would be
flyzone sensei sport trainer rtf
flyzone switch 2-1 sport trainer rtf
flyzone cessna 182 skylane select scale rtf
hobbico cessna 182 rtf

the flyzones are all about the same price but the hobbico is significantly cheaper and i think smaller. i really would like to go for a model with a 6ch remote. i would like to move up to a EDF jet after a bit of practice on something easier. anyone have experience with any of these. i have watched a couple good reviews for the sensei and i like the switch because i could progress to the lower wing configuration but the fact that the wings secure with magnets has me a little worried.
davidstroman is offline Find More Posts by davidstroman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:47 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
To give better advice, it would have been nice to know a couple of things more...

Do you have any previous experience with RC planes or helis?
Do you plan to learn to fly RC on your own, or do you have someone that can assist you/act as an instructor?
Any clubs nearby?
What size area do you plan to fly at?

These things will have great influence on which plane to start out with...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
If you have no previous experience, the Flyzone Sensei and an instructor to buddy box with would be the way to go. The Switch and the Cessna's are not beginner planes at all. The Hobbico Cessna is cheaper because it is smaller.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
900 Posts
I'm a beginner and after doing my own "research" I went with a Hobby Zone Super Cub RTF.

I've flown it twice and crashed 3 times. Parts do break but they are relatively inexpensive to replace. This plane is really tough. I have broken the cowl, a prop and the motor mount. The motor mount is the most expensive so far at $8.99. But, I see that HZ now has a machined motor mount.!! I'm definately going to order one.

As for flying this cub, it's got enough power to keep you out of trouble if you are flying high, like 200 to 300 feet. It needs a large field to fly in. It covers a lot of ground in a hurry. I'm learning on my own so far and I am happy with my choice.

The biggest thing imo is, buy something in which parts are readily available at your LHS.(local hobby shop) You will crash and you will break parts and you're going to want to get back in the air right away.

Just for kicks here's a picture of mine when I got it together...

Edit: I just noticed the machined motor mount is for Eflight motors only which run between $40 to $50.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Last edited by PiperRon; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
I just stumbled on this link yesterday. plane looks like it's decent.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736942

I saw a couple vids on youtube but not a ton of feedback since they just recently started delivering them.

aside from that I always say go with a HobbyZone Champ if you don't have much eperience
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
965 Posts
If you will be learning on your own, your best bet is to get a plane which will more or less fly itself, like a powered sailplane, 3 channel.If you are joining a club, they will have preferences and guidance, though they are unlikely to suggest a warbird or edf as first plane.Your main aim will be to get some air- and stick- time, which a slow flying 3 channel plane will give you.Unless you have a tutor standing by your elbow.It is so sad to see nice models (usually described as trainers) get off the ground only to smack into it a few seconds later.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
ares gamma 370 from hobbytownusa. this plane comes in a 3 channel version for beginners, and when your ready you can upgrade it with a brushless motor and a 4 channel wing. all parts are carried by hobbytown so there is no guess work. if you really wanted to jump in you can get the ares gamma 370 pro version that already has the brushless and 4 channel wing.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
i dont have any rc experience besides a $60 heli a friend bought that i used to fly around my apartment. I have a lot of flight sim experience and i did have a lot of rc cars growing up. There doesn't seem to be any clubs really around here. not active anyways and i dont feel like spending $60 for ama membership plus paying club fees so it will be just me. as for location there are a few parks i have in mind with quite large open areas.
i am going to go check out the hobby store by me today and see what they have and what parts they stock (thats a great idea piperRon cuz i am very impatient about shipping and would rather spend a few extra bucks to support a local store instead of some guy from jersey
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:35 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,875 Posts
Be very careful in a hobby store, the, 'that looks fantastic, I'll have one', can easily take control.

Also what the proprietor want to sell you as a 'trainer' may not be the best choice if you ask on here.

If possible, (and it take will power), look, don't buy, then ask back on the forum for advice.

You can always dash out tomorrow, or camp outside the place over night if the hunger really gets to you.

But "buyer beware".
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstroman View Post
i dont have any rc experience besides a $60 heli a friend bought that i used to fly around my apartment. I have a lot of flight sim experience and i did have a lot of rc cars growing up. There doesn't seem to be any clubs really around here. not active anyways and i dont feel like spending $60 for ama membership plus paying club fees so it will be just me. as for location there are a few parks i have in mind with quite large open areas.
i am going to go check out the hobby store by me today and see what they have and what parts they stock (thats a great idea piperRon cuz i am very impatient about shipping and would rather spend a few extra bucks to support a local store instead of some guy from jersey
You might need to check the local rules/laws in regards to the parks if you mean public parks. Many have strict no flying rules. With no clubs nearby and you not wanting to join the AMA I don't know what EDF you would ever be able to fly outside of the micros. Those are quite fun, it wasn't meant as a knock on them(I own the Eflite Mig) it is just that anything that weighs more than 2 lbs and/or travels more than 60 mph is generally supposed to be flown at an approved field.

Given your aversion to clubs I would look at some kind of micro for a trainer. I learned on a Hobbyzone Champ. Though there are a number of options in that regard. Smaller planes mean more places you can fly which means more stick time and you being able to learn faster.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
If you plan to "go it alone", I would suggest:

Ares Gamma 370 - My preferred choice and can handle a little wind and priced right at $129.99 RTF or $79.99 RX-R

Hobbyzone Champ - Micro size and won't handle too much wind; very easy to fly. Can be found for well under $90.00.

Hobbyzone Super Cub - Great first plane but pricey at $199.00.

Hobbyzone Glasair Sportsman - 4 Channel Trainer with Virtual Instructor Technology but pricey at $250.00.

Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos - Very beginner friendly and well priced at $129.99. However, it uses a proprietary TX and cannot be bound to any other TX.

Multiplex EasyStar II - Great 3 channel powered glider and can be easily upgraded to 4 channel. A bit pricey at around $200.00 RTF.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstroman View Post
There doesn't seem to be any clubs really around here. not active anyways and i dont feel like spending $60 for ama membership plus paying club fees so it will be just me.
might post where your located, most likely people here would be able to help you find a club, or at least others that fly in your area.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
61 Posts
hobbyzone.com has a outlet store by me and i stopped there today... OMFG they are $20-40 cheaper then the same exact models online. and they carry parts for the sensei and super cub.
after about a 20 minute chat with an employee he recommended the super cub dsm. says he still has his and it was his first plane too. he also suggested the cub micro but mentioned that it wont work in wind.
the super cub is 169.99 plus tax but no shipping and i would have it right away. the floats are $20 extra and he says he uses his on the lake with floats in the winter (nothing at all to run into).
as far as park flying is concerned if i find out its not allowed i still have many locations on private land i can fly. just a little longer drive is all.
the only thing he brought up about the hobbyzone transmitters was something about not being able to use them for some bind and fly planes. (sounds like i can just buy more receivers)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
If he was talking about the Ultra Micro J-3 Cub, I would stay away from that one as the first plane - the HobbyZone Champ is way easier to start out with...

The HZ SuperCub is a very good plane - just make sure that you have plenty space for the first flights (when you get to know it, you can fly it in tighter spots...)
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Feb 2013
900 Posts
You will love the Super Cub DSM.

Good choice.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon