Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,178 Posts
Discussion
saw my first Night Vapor

at a demo the other day.
First time to see one fly in real life.
Impression: it was laughable.
A high alpha, housefly like 'flight'.. as it stumbled about.
LED's festooning it like a Large housefly decorated for Xmas.
Even the 12 yr old demo/flying it, said (seriptitiously) it was Lame.
Why do people buy such stuff ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:24 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
at a demo the other day.
Hang on, I'm going to make a note of this.
Now where did I leave my crayons?

"MOM WHERE ARE MY CRAYO.. oh there they are"

Humdidum, I like colouring with crayons, I even like like the word crayons.

Crayons.

Why is it called maroon when it's brown, don't get it?

So what colour would a unicorn horn be, maybe light blue.

Oh sheesh I'm sorry, kind of zoned out there, what were you saying?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:42 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
So that event last year where 8 night vapors were flying inside a rented club tent at a major event, flying through suspended hula hoops and dodging through the fog from the fog machine, that was lame?

Got it.

Guess it was lame when my 8 year old got to fly the Night Vapor in a gym on a buddy box and lit up like the Rockefeller Center tree, the hobby may have a new convert.

YMMV

"There was a ship with a cargo of red paint, to a tragic fate everyone was doomed, it rammed a ship with a cargo of brown paint, the ships sank, and the sailors were marooned."
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:46 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Don't feed the trolls guys.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Well I suppose, the positive side to that post is the 12 yr old who is actually flying a real rc model aircraft - when too many other kids now are just content to spend hours playing with an X box. Too few younsters get involved in model flying these days.
I dont think the Night Vapor is laughable. Infact if, like me, you have been flying models for many years, I think the technology we have now to enable this type of model at the price it is, is still pretty amazing.
30 or 40 years ago 12 yr olds had to fly chuck gliders or build rubber models which didnt always fly well due to inexperienced fingers - but the kids who stuck with it have enjoyed many years of very rewarding aeromodelling since. Many younger people dont have time / patience or experience to build traditional models - so these ARTF models (love or hate them!!) do serve an important market place.
I remember when I first got into indoor flying in the mid 1980s - back then, a model like the Night Vapor would have been beyond our wildest dreams, not to mention our wallets!!!
Happy landings!
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:15 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Don't feed the trolls guys.
Troll you say?
Let's see, I'm almost out of green, you suppose I can use blue?
Maybe it's a very cold troll?

Aw shucks I'm almost out of blue as well, why does that always happen?
They should include more blues instead of that light grey crayon, it hardly even shows up on white paper.
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:36 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
It was meant to be a relaxing easy flyer. It does what it was designed to do very well. If its not what you want, go figure out what that is.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:56 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksherlock View Post
Well I suppose, the positive side to that post is the 12 yr old who is actually flying a real rc model aircraft - when too many other kids now are just content to spend hours playing with an X box. Too few younsters get involved in model flying these days.
I dont think the Night Vapor is laughable. Infact if, like me, you have been flying models for many years, I think the technology we have now to enable this type of model at the price it is, is still pretty amazing.
30 or 40 years ago 12 yr olds had to fly chuck gliders or build rubber models which didnt always fly well due to inexperienced fingers - but the kids who stuck with it have enjoyed many years of very rewarding aeromodelling since. Many younger people dont have time / patience or experience to build traditional models - so these ARTF models (love or hate them!!) do serve an important market place.
I remember when I first got into indoor flying in the mid 1980s - back then, a model like the Night Vapor would have been beyond our wildest dreams, not to mention our wallets!!!
Happy landings!
Mark

Yup. The only young kids flying are myself, my 2 friends, and my other friends on the teen chit chat tread. I started flying when I was 10. I'm now 13, and love the hobby. There are too many kids playing COD these days.
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
"There was a ship with a cargo of red paint, to a tragic fate everyone was doomed, it rammed a ship with a cargo of brown paint, the ships sank, and the sailors were marooned."
OK first time I've heard that one, and got a good chuckle out of it.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:55 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
567 Posts
Quote:
at a demo the other day.
I fly mine on the driveway, between the trees, over the house and in and around the garage in the evenings. For me it's 10 minutes of fun after dinner. To each his own. Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Vapors / night vapors /mini vapors are for your house to fly in your family room. I can't think of any other 3 channel planes that are less than $100 where this is possible.

When I see someone flying one in a golf dome or armory or even a gym, I shake my head as this is a complete waste of an indoor flying venue, because I can fly that while watching TV at home.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:56 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
Yup. The only young kids flying are myself, my 2 friends, and my other friends on the teen chit chat tread. I started flying when I was 10. I'm now 13, and love the hobby. There are too many kids playing COD these days.
and me! I don't know of any other kids in my area that fly planes except you and my one friend who I've gotten into RC. My good friends are all interested in it though and love to fly planes or drive cars when they come over.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:27 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I love my MiG and my Mini Vapor and everything in between.

I don't like my heli's as much except for my Quad but that's because I'm not YET a skilled heli pilot.

I get tired of watching a couple of club mates spending 99% of their time hovering their 1/3 scale and larger monsters (one has a trailer the size of a large bungalow) but I have to admire the skill they've developed.

I've been flying RC around fifty years and nothing about this hobby would ever make me feel like the person who stared this thread, even watching my monster plane friends hover. Hey, one guy's no hitter is a fantastic achievement but it's also another guys boring baseball game.

I like more action than hovering but I still recognized the skill and I also like flying my Mini Vapor. My big regret was not buying a pile of extra batteries.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
at a demo the other day.
They fly "on the wing" as well. High alpha stumbling flight is a possibility but not the only way they fly.
The mini and regular Vapor are for a purpose. It doesn't appeal to all, but that is why we have so many options for toys to play with.
I fly my mini in my living room through the dining, kitchen bedroom, landing on various things like tables etc. I do this while flying it level on the wing. It might be the best $80 I've put in this hobby.

I fly the micro mig 15 as it should also. I enjoy long scale like take off and landing etc. I have plenty of other panes for different things too. The Vapors are great for what they are...
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
I have a mini vapor, and I love the thing... I love it because I can sit on my couch and fly circuits and fig 8s, loops, etc in my living room.. I take off the runway which is a 2'x4x coffe table, and do spot landings back on it.. It's one of the greatest in-house RC's ever if you ask me The Mini Vapor and Ladybird are my two house flyers.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer