HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Discussion
Is there a way to keep the fuel off the plane in flight?

I'm being instructed with a nitro Hangar 9 Alpha (Evolution .46). It's really fun to fly and I like the engine a lot, it's more like the IC engines I have always loved in motorcycles, cars, etc.

But man when I pick up that plane after it lands, it is covered in nitro gas/oil. I'm getting used to it...but still I wonder, why don't people put an extension or a hose or something on the muffler that exits the fuel away from the plane? A six inch hose to the side would do it maybe. Or a hose exiting the fuel at the back by the horizontal stab. Or at least make mufflers that point away from the plane instead of directly at it? If I could avoid having a plane covered in the fuel, it's be lots easier to say goodbye to electric...

Thanks,
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,386 Posts
fly faster!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I had the same aircraft and I turned the muffler tip to the ground and bought a DuBro exhaust deflector and pointed it under the fuse. This way all the oil wil coat the bottom of the aircraft and not spray everywhere.
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,238 Posts
They do sell muffler extensions:

It helps you choose which part of your plane to slime. I suspect that a really long extension would result in too much back pressure.
grosbeak is online now Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,049 Posts
I use the extensions like grosbeak has pictured. Turn the muffler outlet if possible and point the extension in the most favorable direction to keep the slime off the plane. Before you put the extension on clean it and the muffler outlet VERY well with a good degreaser. If the muffler is oily, there is a better chance of loosing the extension.

As insurance I have been using a triangle shaped file and filing a groove around the muffler outlet. Make the groove so it has a 90 degree edge towards the rear opening of the outlet and it tapers away to nothing in the other direction. This makes a hose barb and will grip the extension better.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:38 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,956 Posts
You'll never be able to keep it off the plane, but yeah you can point it to where you want it to get slimed at least.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
I'm being instructed with a nitro Hangar 9 Alpha (Evolution .46). It's really fun to fly and I like the engine a lot, it's more like the IC engines I have always loved in motorcycles, cars, etc.

But man when I pick up that plane after it lands, it is covered in nitro gas/oil. I'm getting used to it...but still I wonder, why don't people put an extension or a hose or something on the muffler that exits the fuel away from the plane? A six inch hose to the side would do it maybe. Or a hose exiting the fuel at the back by the horizontal stab. Or at least make mufflers that point away from the plane instead of directly at it? If I could avoid having a plane covered in the fuel, it's be lots easier to say goodbye to electric...

Thanks,
Jim
Jim,

As you see there is ways of diminishing the exposure.

I am glad "you are getting used to it".
It takes only a few minutes between flights or at the end of the flying day.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:04 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,153 Posts
Friend of mine uses a piece of fuel line to extend the exhaust pipe down and away from the fuse. This actually attaches to the fixed landing gear and this really minimizes the mess on the plane.
You could experiment with something like that?
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:02 AM
That's gonna' leave a mark!!
Imperial, Sask.
Joined Apr 2007
201 Posts
If possible I try and mount my engines horizontally so the exhaust exits out the bottom of the fuselage. Add an exhaust deflector and the residue is held to a bare minimum.

I have also extended the exhaust down to the landing gear on vertically installed engines with success. I use an exhaust deflector with a large aluminum tube stuck in the end and attached to the landing gear. A bit unsightly but virtually eliminates the slime.
chuebner is offline Find More Posts by chuebner
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:05 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
511 Posts
Sure there is. Fly Electric!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:51 AM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
Sure there is. Fly Electric!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Mike
Beat me to it. Hey if you don't embrace the fuel residue and enjoy the smell then glow flying is not for you. Go to electrics. That is the only 100% guarantee to never deal with residue/smell ever again.

Life is too short to have ANY part of a pleasurable hobby be a nuisance or annoyance.
dmrcflyr2 is offline Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:50 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2 View Post
Beat me to it. Hey if you don't embrace the fuel residue and enjoy the smell then glow flying is not for you. Go to electrics. That is the only 100% guarantee to never deal with residue/smell ever again.

Life is too short to have ANY part of a pleasurable hobby be a nuisance or annoyance.
I'd be lying if I said that the slimy residue wasn't at least part of the reason I went to electric but it wasn't the main reason. There are ways to minimize the problem and of course everyone has their favorite cleaner formula to clean the goo off, some work better than others.

I believe you mentioned a hose to the back of the plane, not gonna work. Way back when during the time that slimers and gassers were the only only game in town, a guy in my club used a hose from the muffler to the LG down by the wheel. It worked OK for him. Others tried it and had severe overheating problems due to the tube. And this was a tube only 6 or 8 inches long.

For me the switch to electric eliminated so many of the glow engine headaches I can't even list them all. The last jug of glow fuel I bought was probably back in 2007 maybe and when I looked at what they get for it now I almost had a heart attack!

But as they say, to each his own. I did my time with glow (since the sixties) and now I've moved on. I have to admit I do still like the sound of an engine (any kind of engine) but my present club has strict sound level rules and while glow engines (with a good muffler) don't seem to be a problem, gas engines without some form of cannister muffler are out of the question.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:44 AM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
622 Posts
I just got back in after a 6 year layoff. Tried electrics since that is what 90% at my local field fly, but it just didn't 'do it' for me. Now selling everything electric I bought and won't go back. I love that 'nitro cologne'. Plus I fly mainly 4-strokes and they do not generate as much residue, but hey, its all part of the experience.
dmrcflyr2 is offline Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
IMHO if you don't like the sound and smell of nitro or gas engines then you probably drive a Prius.........
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,658 Posts
Oil residue is part and parcle of using our little methanol engines. The simplistic engine uses the "Lost Lubrication" method of lubricating the engine. So some of the oil is going to past completely through the engine, which is not a bad thing in that it removes some of the latent heat generated with it. Other issues such as lubricating the ends of the connecting rod means we need a lot of oil. Gas engines, do not need as much oil as there is some inherent lubrication in gasoline and the use of needle bearings on the bottom end of the connecting rod. Even so there is always some residue from a basic lost lubrication engine, gas or alcohol powered, but less so from gasoline engines because less is used overall.

So it is not trite to say, if you really dislike the clean up of the oil, go electric. I do not think it is the same, the odor, the smell of Castor, is attractive to me. So fuels even have some scent added to them. The use of all synthetic oils will lessen the amount of residue and a compromise is to use the blended fuels. Castor is your best friend for longevity but its combustion temperature is generally higher tmperature than that found in the alcohol fueled engines.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01