HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by rz22g, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 AM
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined May 2006
135 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
Found
Glider suitable for slope and thermal

Just getting into the world of gliding. Someone took me to watch slope soaring and let me try it out. Now Im looking for something of my own. I see there are gliders designed for slope but I would prefer getting something that will be suitable for both slope and thermal.

I would like to gear more towards something that will lift easily so I can slope when conditions are light. I know I do not want foam. I just do not like the look.

Let me know what you have and provide pics and price shipped to 93561. Budget is not enough for the really nice $1000 plus ones I have seen. Trying to keep this around $200.

I do not want a foam glider. I have owned one foam plane and that was enough for me.
rz22g is offline Find More Posts by rz22g
Last edited by rz22g; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Lanyu Phoenix Evolution 2.6m. In Spain costs 80 kit version
''Catamar'' has reached 30km flight. It is not the best for thetmals,but his gliding ratio is 15:1 aprox.

It is good to be your first glider,mine is in construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz22g View Post
Just getting into the world of gliding. Someone took me to watch slope soaring and let me try it out. Now Im looking for something of my own. I see there are gliders designed for slope but I would prefer getting something that will be suitable for both slope and thermal.

I would like to gear more towards something that will lift easily so I can slope when conditions are light. I know I do not want foam. I just do not like the look.

Let me know what you have and provide pics and price shipped to 93561. Budget is not enough for the really nice $1000 plus ones I have seen. Trying to keep this around $200.
jonpeter is offline Find More Posts by jonpeter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined May 2006
135 Posts
Is that an EPO ? I do not want anything foam like. I did a search for Lanyu Phoenix Evolution 2.6m but come with several different results. If you can provide a link to the exact one your are referring to that would be great.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,095 Posts
Trader Rating: 230
Suggest you look at the HLG that were built as dihedral wings,

Something like the CR Climmax Pro, would meet your needs for both Slope and Thermal.

In Molded planes, the Mini Ellipse is also a good choice

chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
Everything is "only used once"
United States, CA, Newport Beach
Joined Jul 2011
123 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
If you're interested I have a 2M whisper that would make both a good slope and thermal sailplane. It only needs (2) wing servos and pushrods in the fuse (tubes are in) battery and receiver. I do recommend you start out with a foam airplane or simulator if you haven't flow RC before.

http://www.soaringusa.com/Whisper-2M...-Ailerons.html
slope junkie is offline Find More Posts by slope junkie
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
I to would recommend foam for a good while. You can pound it in and pick it up and toss it off again. If you do that with a built up bird your day could very likely be over. I Love my foam and there are some high performance options out there.
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Mar 2011
9 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Check out Art Hobby. They ahave a large selection of slopers, good quality, good prices, helpfull, and has replacement parts. No I don't have any connection but have had a numnber of there planes. Good luck
ceaton is offline Find More Posts by ceaton
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813160 id see if this is still available.
getmeoutofiraq is offline Find More Posts by getmeoutofiraq
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
or maybe a parkzone radian (not the radian pro). something that can thermal but you wont need a highstart and can slope but if you get to low or the wind dies you can bring it back to the top for a top landing. also foam so easy repairs or just buy new parts when you break them. around 200 i believe.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:48 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,240 Posts
Trader Rating: 26
+1 on the Radian
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2006
135 Posts
I appreciate the recommendations on the foam planes but I have many years of flying RC planes and helis. I sloped two different gliders and while I only flew a few hours I think I will be fine with a built up. I simply do not like foam so it definitely will not be a foam plane.
Last edited by rz22g; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:18 AM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
i dont like when people ask for information on what to get then tell the majority they are wrong and go with what they want anyway. so for your price range your looking at you might get some used ship on here with who knows what damage or you can buy a balsa wood kit and spend a month or two making it, and hope you did a good job making it. not to mention one good crash and its toast. as far as light wind slope soaring, maybe look at dlgs i know people slope soar thoes. you could get a beginner kit and use that. or you could save your money and make a slope soarer out o a piece of dollar tree foam and 2 small servos a reciever and a small batt pack. ewww nope that wont work either. ah!! i know!!! paper airplane!! it can thermal. it can slope soar in light conditions. tie a string to it and its remotely controlled. and best part its not foam....ehhh....EHHH!!! totally fits the criteria. truth be told the only way your going to find what you want is by researching, looking into types of gliders, buying stuff and trying it out. if i were you and were on a budget, living were you live whith the tahachapies right there id build really cheap foam planes like i said above. but i like tinkering and building and figuring out how stuff works. so building is half the fun and the other half is seeing how your prototype works out. everyone is different on what they like or think is good. its like asking people to tell you what the best cheap car is has alot of horsepower but gets great gas mileage. oh and by the way the car cant have any cheap plastic parts on it either cuz i dont like how it looks. everyone is going to have different opinions and non are right or wrong but only you can figure out what is right for you. hope that helps, was kinda long winded and got sidetracked...mehh whatever.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:26 AM
USA, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pulsa could get this but one hard crash its done for. hit one twig or sharp rock and you be fixing holes in the film covering. buy a highstart and you can thermal it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:44 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
1,051 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Get a GP spirit or spirit elete!

Great planes Spirit Elite has flaps and ailerons or the spirit with just rudder/elevator. Tower hobbies and every model shop in the us prolly has or can get one. The Spirit elite is a fantastic plane and cal pull off both of your objectives well. The Elite is really fun on the slope. I have flown one at Torrey Pines recently and was amazed at the performance.
Ill think some more but the Spirit/Spirit elite are pretty durable for built up and the are good looking too!
PS. I can do most maneuvers on the slope with the Spirit Elite!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVR0&P=ML

Phil
Phil Davy is offline Find More Posts by Phil Davy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined May 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofiraq View Post
i dont like when people ask for information on what to get then tell the majority they are wrong and go with what they want anyway. so for your price range your looking at you might get some used ship on here with who knows what damage or you can buy a balsa wood kit and spend a month or two making it, and hope you did a good job making it. not to mention one good crash and its toast. as far as light wind slope soaring, maybe look at dlgs i know people slope soar thoes. you could get a beginner kit and use that. or you could save your money and make a slope soarer out o a piece of dollar tree foam and 2 small servos a reciever and a small batt pack. ewww nope that wont work either. ah!! i know!!! paper airplane!! it can thermal. it can slope soar in light conditions. tie a string to it and its remotely controlled. and best part its not foam....ehhh....EHHH!!! totally fits the criteria. truth be told the only way your going to find what you want is by researching, looking into types of gliders, buying stuff and trying it out. if i were you and were on a budget, living were you live whith the tahachapies right there id build really cheap foam planes like i said above. but i like tinkering and building and figuring out how stuff works. so building is half the fun and the other half is seeing how your prototype works out. everyone is different on what they like or think is good. its like asking people to tell you what the best cheap car is has alot of horsepower but gets great gas mileage. oh and by the way the car cant have any cheap plastic parts on it either cuz i dont like how it looks. everyone is going to have different opinions and non are right or wrong but only you can figure out what is right for you. hope that helps, was kinda long winded and got sidetracked...mehh whatever.
I don't think I said anybody was wrong. I said I do not want a foam glider. I stated this in my original post and in my first reply. So while you might not like that someone does not take advise given perhaps the advise given should not contain the very thing the person said they did not want
Last edited by rz22g; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Closed Thread