HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,048 Posts
Take a good look at DLG's. They can teach you more about reading air than most thermal type planes.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Thanks guys, I will look into it.

I'm actually looking for flying sites because I have been flying on the hills around muholland drive but there aren't any good landing areas, I live up in north hollywood do you know of any good places up here?

thanks

Kim
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:12 AM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
Thanks guys, I will look into it.

I'm actually looking for flying sites because I have been flying on the hills around muholland drive but there aren't any good landing areas, I live up in north hollywood do you know of any good places up here?

thanks

Kim
Search the slope forum for Wood Ranch and Kanan Hill. Both are decent with about a 5min hike to the slope both also have good landing zones. You're also a decent drive from grass mountain too. Those places are also good thermalling spots to.
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:20 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
The question in my mind is:
What radio are you using??
Do you have a Tx that will allow all the flight phases and mixing that you will want eventually?
If not, I would get that first.

The other thought I have for you is:
Buy used! You can get some really great deals on used molded slope planes in SoCal.
Many will be 4 wing servo, V-tailed 60" or 2M planes.

Thermal is a different animal, you likely won't find many flapped planes in the 2M size for sale. Most are larger. Span is key in thermal flying.

Good luck in your search.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834717
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
521 Posts
+1 on the Ocelot. Was just looking at that. I love mine! Has a HUGE envelope.
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Hey guys

I have the 12x so no problem with mixing and stuff (once I get it figured out ha ha)

Ok i will check out those sites, thank you

I saw the ocelot but its unpowered! can it be converted to powered or is it better to just buy a powered one in the first place?

I also looked at this one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834023 its a little out of the price range for me but I have sent the seller a pm on it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
521 Posts
If you are flying turbines then $400 is likely going to buy you a dissapointment if its powered.

Lots of good places in SoCal to slope without the need for power. Stop by a slope and talk to the guys and see what interests you.
Last edited by BDK74; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:02 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Huh, Ok I will take a look, I wasn't looking for super performance since I can get that experience from the turbines but I see your point.

the main reason for wanting power is because where I have been flying until now had awfull landing prospects so without the option to pull myself out of a bad situation I would have been in trouble.

I will take a look at the sloping forum and a couple of sites this week

thanks for the advice.

Kim
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:02 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't read all of your post. So I didn't see the need for power.
Normally powered sailplanes are built lighter, because they have to carry the weight of the power train. Because of that, molded planes with folding props USUALLY don't fair well landing at slope sites which are rougher than where hotliner types are flown.
My advice is to do as Brandon above suggests, and commit to flying a full slope plane, or possibly just start flying the Radian in full sailplane mode, and get some practice in with it first, then decide. You can either rubber band the prop closed, commit to just not using the motor, or buy a pure sailplane fuse for it.
The plane that you linked to would likely not last long landing at SoCal slopes, I think. I could be mistaken.
Best of luck with your search.
Will keep my eyes open for you.

R,
Target
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:14 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Thanks bud, this is a great friendly forum, its a nice change from the edf forum that I've frequented in the past.

Thats a great idea on the radian, I actually just this morning set the radio up in a proper glider configuration and funnily enough I lost the spinner and blades yesterday, Common on these I gather, so I won't bother to refit the blades when I get the new spinner and i'll see how it goes

You think that one is to weak for sloaping, Do you think that its too weak to land of that it won't take the stress in higher wind conditions?

thanks again

Kim
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
521 Posts
Hit the slopes with your Radian. Watch the other guys and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Have fun, and try not to let the addiction get out of control
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:57 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
Thanks bud, this is a great friendly forum, its a nice change from the EDF forum that I've frequented in the past.

That's a great idea on the radian, I actually just this morning set the radio up in a proper glider configuration and funnily enough I lost the spinner and blades yesterday, Common on these I gather, so I won't bother to refit the blades when I get the new spinner and I'll see how it goes.

You think that one is to weak for sloping, Do you think that its too weak to land or that it won't take the stress in higher wind conditions?

thanks again

Kim
You are welcome, and thanks for the thanks, everyone must start somewhere, so no worries.

On the F5B type plane, the airframe is strong enough for flight, that is not the problem.
The problem is that it is really designed for being landed in nice (grass) landing zones, and you don't find many of those at slopes. There are a few though....

What you DO find at the slope, is a landing zone that may have some golf ball sized rocks in it, and also, when the lift is strong, you may find a lot of turbulence that you need to land in. These are called "rotors", and they can toss a plane onto a wingtip even on a good approach.

When learning what to do, and what not to do landing, its good not to have a very light skinned airframe. The F5B type airframes are usually lighter in the skins because they have to carry a power system, and they usually aren't subjected to too much landing abuse. The spars are built to take the flight loads.
In this way, an F5B airframe is much like a Thermal Duration airframe. Those can take a winch launch, but the wing and tail skins are as light as possible to save overall flight weight.

Do what you want, my thoughts are suggestions only. I think you are on the right track, and asking questions is always a good idea. There are some reasons why people do or have done things a certain way over the years. Keeping an open mind is also good. Just because it has been done one way in the past, doesn't mean you can't do it differently.

R,
Target
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:57 PM
So. Cal
Joined Jan 2005
137 Posts
In an earlier post, it seems that you were going for power to avoid a problematic recovery on your slope. If you go to Kanan or Wood Ranch, you will not need power for this reason.

Wood Ranch is a great hill to practice on and there is plenty of front slope if needed. But, if you are flying in normal conditions, it is rare to land down the hill unless you have a problem.

Also, if you have interest in checking out thermal soaring using a winch to launch, the Santa Clarita and the Thousand Oaks clubs are reasonably close.

Here is a link showing the Wood Ranch location:

http://www.tosoaring.com/?page_id=32

Just park in the parking lot at the interestion of Long Canyon and Wood Ranch and then walk up Long Canyon a few hundred yards until you see the trail on the left heading up the hill. When you get to the top you will see the clearing of weeds and a ground geological marker.

Also, if using an electric launched plane, you can fly at Paramount Ranch, which is just off Kanan, but toward the beach. There is also a link on the TOSS website.

Craig
TOSSPilot is offline Find More Posts by TOSSPilot
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:55 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Ah I see, strength in the skins will be key for me right now since my landings leave a lot to be desired!

I will absolutly go and look at the sites you mentioned, they are pretty close to me also!

thanks guys

Kim