SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Question
Newbie question

Hey guys just a quick one for you, I'm just getting into gliders, I brought a radian pro and have been doing a lot of slope soaring with it now I want something a little better, I am new to this and don't want to put money into something then find out there is better out there for the same cost.

I'm thinking of the fly fly ask 21 2.6m as the next step, I will eventually get into the higher end stuff just as I did with turbines but to begin with I just want something that I can get finished for say, sub $400.

I really want it to have flaps because where I have been flying has very short landing areas, it has to be powered because of my lack of experience and where I fly you cant walk down the hillside.

I hear that the fly fly stuff is a little heavy and that means that its less capable thermaling which is ok, I wouldn't want something that absolutely won't thermal but it also doesn't have to be the best at it either.

So, should have flaps (slow landings)
should be powered
Should be larger than the radian
hopefully sub $400

what do you have in mind?

thanks

Kim
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
So. Cal
Joined Jan 2005
137 Posts
I thought of this new ARF that sells for under $400 but probably will run you closer to $500 if you add the electric motor setup using a discount selller, like HobbyKing.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...9m-arf-EFL4905

No personal experience, just came to my mind when I read your post. Probably should read some reviews before you buy to make sure it is OK.
TOSSPilot is offline Find More Posts by TOSSPilot
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Wow, that looks pretty cool and you know if will be ok quality for eflight! I'm going to do some reaserch, only problem is if its new it might be back ordered for a while

I've been looking around more and it seems that for just a little more money there are a lot more options!

People often approach me and my friends at the field when were flying turbines and say I want to buy 'x' (usually a cheaper turbine) what do you think and the we answer "if I were you and I were staring all over again I would just buy........."

What would be you guys end to that sentence on this occasion, knowing that I want flaps, power, something that can do a few maneuvers etc and doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks

Kim
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
No one else has an opion on this?

thanks

Kim
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:56 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,702 Posts
give Bob at susa a call ...
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:28 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
I looked there before and it all looked out of my price range but after your post I took a second look and see that there are a few things that might work for me.

I will give him a call monday

thanks

Kim
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:19 AM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
If you are looking for a slope plane, head to the slope forum.

I would suggest you buy a kit like a ncfm.com Moth or a R2 Hobbies Passer.

You could build 3 nice planes for 400 bucks.

But first head to the slope forum and ask there. Tons of options for you with that budget.
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:57 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Those are interesting, I will take a further look.

I didn't want a model that was specific to sloping, do i have no choice on that do you have to get something specific for it to work, I realize that there will be differences between classes but I assumed that there would be models that could be used for all types of gliding!?

thanks

Kim
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:04 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
Hey guys just a quick one for you, I'm just getting into gliders, I brought a radian pro and have been doing a lot of slope soaring with it now I want something a little better, I am new to this and don't want to put money into something then find out there is better out there for the same cost.

I'm thinking of the fly fly ask 21 2.6m as the next step, I will eventually get into the higher end stuff just as I did with turbines but to begin with I just want something that I can get finished for say, sub $400.

I really want it to have flaps because where I have been flying has very short landing areas, it has to be powered because of my lack of experience and where I fly you cant walk down the hillside.

I hear that the fly fly stuff is a little heavy and that means that its less capable thermaling which is ok, I wouldn't want something that absolutely won't thermal but it also doesn't have to be the best at it either.

So, should have flaps (slow landings)
should be powered
Should be larger than the radian
hopefully sub $400

what do you have in mind?

thanks

Kim
So better is bigger thermal ship with flaps?. No interest in speed or aerobatics?

Multiplex Cularis.
Mystique would fit
lots of planes from www.arthobby.com
Probably dozens more

Know nothing about Fly fly planes.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
I would definitely like it to be aerobatic, speed is not such a big issue but a flat wings maybe a semi simetrical or simetrical wing would be good, I just didn't want to load the initial question up to much
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:22 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,979 Posts
In the gliding world speed is aerobatics. All manuvers will bleed off speed and most manuvers require a moderate to fast speed to initiate and complete. Slow flying ships are not as aerobatic. There are exceptions to every rule, the Swiss Fish is an example.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
I would definitely like it to be aerobatic, speed is not such a big issue but a flat wings maybe a semi simetrical or simetrical wing would be good, I just didn't want to load the initial question up to much
These are important parts of the criteria and we need to understand your objectives. As I am reading your desires you want thermal gliders that you plan to fly on the slope. No problem. I fly thermal gliders on the slope all the time.

Thermal gliders would not use a symetrical wing and typically not a semi-symetrical wing as they give up too much lift as a trade-off for aerobatics. In other words, thermal soaring gliders are not typically optimized for aerobatics or for the kind of speed that aerobatics call for.

Yes you can roll a TD glider but not like you would roll a slope glider or a pattern plane. The design goals are just different.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
I see what you mean, it appears that the design of gliders is very specific for their purpose!

Ok so I'd lean more towards good lift than full aerobatic capabilities since that would allow me to use the plane in varying conditions, because it won't need as much help from nature to stay up in the air!

I think that since I'm a beginner when it comes to looking for lift it would zone silly for me to buy something that's challenging in that area just so that it's easier to do aerobatics with later, right?!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:34 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Whatever every your goals are are fine with us. We just need to understand them to so we can make the right recommendation.

I did 2 1/2 hours yesterday on a slope flight with an Easy Glider electric with so little lift that I could barely feel the breeze at times. Maybe 3-4 mph breeze inot a 30 to 60 foot hill.

Challenging and fun!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:20 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
506 Posts
Look at the Arthobby planes. The Falco or similar. Aerobatic and great in light lift.

Where r u flying?
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74