HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
28 Posts
Discussion
replace flex cable too much slippage

Hi guys, my large boat has a very torquey motor, and its designed to drive through the ocean, through swells and through currents etc. It works very well (plenty of power) however after a few minutes the flex cable starts to slip in the collet. The collet stays on the motor shaft just fine, its the flex cable that is slipping heaps. The cable is now getting crushed by the amount I have to tighten it and I think its time to replace it anyway. it was silver soldered too.

What I want to do instead is, buy a square end flex cable 1/4" weld the round end onto a prop shaft and then use the square end to connect to the motor.

I have not seen too many collets for this though, so any suggestions on where I could get one would be appreciate. so the flex cable is 1/4" and the motor and a 6mm solid round shaft.
flamer is offline Find More Posts by flamer
Last edited by flamer; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:09 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
I would first try one of the aeromaine laminates couplers I have found them to be the best around . www.aeromarinerc.com
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
Make sure there isn't too much solder where the collet is grabbing as well, that will make it slip worse. You want just enough at the tip to stop it from unraveling.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Make sure there isn't too much solder where the collet is grabbing as well, that will make it slip worse. You want just enough at the tip to stop it from unraveling.
There isn't too much solder on it, to be honest I was using it without solder and it was slipping, so I added the solder to the tip later which didn't make any difference.

aeromarine seems to be down at the moment, the biggest problem I have is there are very few collets that fit my setup, took me AGES to find the one I currently have I would not be surprised if its the only one made to my specs. I could go down a size in the flex shaft which would give me more options, but the size of the motor (airplane outrunner) and the prop (900mm 4 blade) I am not sure that would be a wise thing to do.
flamer is offline Find More Posts by flamer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:34 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,981 Posts
Give it a try with this one:
http://mbp-rc.de/collet-clutches-6-x-63-SZK
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:27 AM
Joined Jul 2012
49 Posts
Depending on the size of the motor shaft / flex cable you can use either this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810618048...84.m1558.l2649
or this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810614384...84.m1558.l2649
Regards
paultbg is offline Find More Posts by paultbg