SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:56 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2010
28 Posts
Apologies for the delay - the set of plans I bought from Earl arrived Thursday (a day earlier than expected and in perfect condition). Unfortunately they were so big that when I unrolled them on the living room floor they pinned my right leg and it took me almost three days to work my way free!

Next stop is Kinkos to make a backup copy (I build directly over my plans so they're usually not worth much when I'm done with them). After that I'll sit down and figure out how many trees Lonestar Balsa is going to have to cut down.

I haven't studied the plans but from the 5 minutes I spent with my eyes darting around at the various parts, I'm almost positive I can build off this set.

I talked with a few guys out at the field earlier today and the consensus seemed to be that the plans Hobby Lobby is selling are the kit (assembly) plans - this seems to be supported by the description on HL's website, "Replacement Plans for 12 Foot Telemaster." Of course this is all speculation, but I tend to trust people who don't have a vested interest in selling me $70 worth of paper.

I'll post back when I get my balsa shopping list together.

-Al
getndirty is offline Find More Posts by getndirty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Unfortunately Lonestar Balsa appears to be defunct again. We're going to have to find an alternative source.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,960 Posts
That's no excuse-there are plenty of Balsa Lumber yards out there !-All willing to allow you to finance their retirement...lol.

You CAN build a 12' Telly from those plans.....every part is there,as a drawing..

It only seems a lot of material is required....no wait....a lot of material IS required..

Hopefully getndirty has recovered from his injuries by now...
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,468 Posts
I guess we could get a kit cutter to do the ribs? Setup fee might not be bad if a few of us ordered at the same time?
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,960 Posts
A club member had his ribs laser cut for an 8 footer, that company may be set up to do larger ones.

I'll check at the Old Fart's Breakfast tomorrow,if he shows up.(Wednesday)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:36 AM
Joined Aug 2013
6 Posts
Has anyone done anything regarding the rib cutting?

Landcruiser
South Australia
vampirelover is offline Find More Posts by vampirelover
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:15 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,960 Posts
I haven't found out anything about ribs...I have a bandsaw,and can 'stack-cut' ones I need. I haven't tried a laser cutting company as yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:58 AM
Joined Aug 2013
6 Posts
rib cutting

Thanks for the reply, epoxyearl. Unfortunately it's a long way to come to get you to cut a few ribs. My big Telemaster is being refurbished at the moment with a view to flying later this year (getting ready to fly my big Cub again). As the Telemaster has been around for a long time, it does need a good going-over and the ability to get new parts would help.

Land cruiser
South Australia
vampirelover is offline Find More Posts by vampirelover
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:47 PM
Jackass of many Trades
USA, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Feb 2007
249 Posts
Check out this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042556

Goober ordered his ribs from a lazer cutter, dont remember off hand which one.
It's a good read.
MichaUT is online now Find More Posts by MichaUT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Saws
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:21 PM
United States, KY, Greenville
Joined Nov 2013
245 Posts
I ordered my ribs for the tele 150, they will cut anything you want, talk to Eddie at
lazer works, or go to lazer works.com
goober is offline Find More Posts by goober