HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Air loads from flying will also cause the gear transit time to change, sometimes preventing it from locking completely
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,711 Posts
While studying the situation yesterday, I spotted something that just might be the culprit. Where the air tube afixes to the holding tank, immediately off the tip of the metal nipple the tube was kinked rather smartly where it turns & runs the opposite diection. Gonna pull some slack back towards it & tape a section to a bulkhead or maybe side of the tank & test 'er again.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
972 Posts
If you have enough tubing cut that kinked portion away and work with a good area of tubing. That kink is now set and will likely try to close again.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
If these are spring down retracts, the kinked supply line isnt going to change anything
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
972 Posts
I'm suspecting there may be other kinks.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
I'm suspecting there may be other kinks.
That would make more of an issue for the gear going up as well. If they are spring down, the air pressure is released to the atmosphere at the valve, not returned to the storage tank. So if they were kinked, you would see slower retractions as well.

The spring down function is normally pretty stout to ensure a positive down lock, as that is the only way to get the positive lock.

Personally, if the original owner loosened the nose gear unit to allow slack in the steering lines to get the nose gear to lock down, it needs to be re-tightened correctly and new steering pull pull lines made. They should only be tight enough to allow positive steering and nosd banjo string tight like you would do on a rudder or elevator pull pull cable setup
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:30 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
If these are spring down retracts, the kinked supply line isnt going to change anything
Hmmmm. Well, thanks for that insight IM -- I know so little about these things I don't know what's happening (inside) going up OR down so....any info's a learnin' experience for me!

I'll say this. First time I saw the gear operated (& every time since) I thought it kind've unique to anything I'd seen before. Namely, there's a noticeable delay of 2-3 seconds before anything happens, then they retract 1-2-3 ie almost each one individually. This with starting pressure of 115# which is what OO advised. Down's pretty much a solid THUNK - which makes me wonder even more why that dang nose isn't firmly locking.

We've got a spell of bad weather coming in so no flying for at least next few days. I'll make an effort to get a video shot of the ops & post up for reference - maybe seeing 'em in action will tell it much better than I can explain.

But again, big thanks to you all for the info being provided; it's sincerely appreciated!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:12 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
The one two three is a setup thing. The gear is going to retract in an order that begins itu the shortest air line, them the next shortedt, etc etc.