HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:30 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Data
Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX with PZ 480 (960Kv) & GWS 4-Blade

I have already done this motor swap on my new Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt!

Modifications Details: (Blog)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827219

Flight Results: (Blog)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1828087

================================================== ========
I could not believe the weight scale on the STOCK Park Zone 15 (950Kv) and the heavy Spinner + Prop Adapter (Large Metal Nut)! Just look!!!

No wonder these models NOSE Over so easily!!!

Measuring what length of spacing is needed for Motor Swap

Hardware used:

Park Zone 480 installed with GWS 4-Blade (10 X 8 X 4):

Last time I flew my Spit was between two 69Kv Power Distribution Electric Lines and the model hit the top one and here was the result:

VIDEO of Propeller RPMs & AMPs / WATTs

Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX with PZ 480 (960Kv) swinging GWS 4-Blade Prop (3 min 31 sec)

In case you did not hear me during the VIDEO:

1/2 Throttle: 6.4-Amps / 75 Watts / 11.9 Volts

3/4 Throttle: 13.3-Amps / 153 Watts / 11.6 Volts

Full Throttle: 24.3-Amps / 268 Watts / 11.1 Volts

Propeller RPMs @ Full Throttle = 6,600 RPMs

Model Weigh-In Data:

Model Only: 34oz.

Battery: 6 3/4 oz.

Total Full Flight Ready: 40 3/4 Oz.

Watts/lbs. ---> 268 Watts / 2.5lbs. = 107.2 Watts per Pound
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:52 AM
Orlando, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2003
370 Posts
Nice work, once again Carlos! I would expect even better results with the Spitfire, being a bit more streamline than the P-47. Looking forward to learning how she does in the air.

Ed
Ed eFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Ed eFlyer
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,037 Posts
Hey,

I found your thread through doing a Google search and I have a question for you.

I have a few spare parts on my workbench for parkzone planes. (2) 480 BL motors, (4) servos and a receiver. Pretty much all the internal parts necessary to get a plane working. I'm thinking about buying the airframe kit for the Spirtfire and using these parts to get it flying.

After seeing this thread, I now know that I can use my 480 BL motor on this plane (with some work), but I wanted to know how the plane handles with the 480 vs the 15 motor? I can't find any statistic on the motors' output power...I assume the 15 BL is more powerful than the 480, or am I wrong?

Any advice, suggestions I should know about before proceeding?
Suko is online now Find More Posts by Suko
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:49 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
The Park Zone 480 will fly these models very well with the STOCK 2-Blade 9.5 X 7.5 Propeller. I use the 480 because of the weight savings and known characteristics of being able to swing a three (3) blade and (4) Blade without any issues on 3-Cell Lithium Polymers.

If you are looking for fast speedster type of flying then, try out the PZ 480 with the Stock Park Zone 2-Blade propeller and watch it zoom.

The PZ 15 is okay and seems to provide more weight up front for flying in higher wind. However, like you posted yourself there is really no viable and reliable motor parameters for any Park Zone motors except to test yourself and I have done so with both motors and the PZ 15 seems to have more Kv (RPMs / Volt,) than the slightly shorter PZ 480 and it why I use the PZ 480 for the 3-blade / 4-blade.

In summary, and in my opinion the PZ 15 has less torque than the shorter PZ 480 so, you would need to keep things Stock if using the PZ 15 or submit your model to a very small diameter 3-blade and I would not even try a 4-blade.

Hope this helps.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Apr 16, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1,037 Posts
Thanks for the info, that is helpful. So, in short: Running the Spitfire with the 480 and stock propeller won't make it fly dangerously slow and should be just fine for recreational flying?

One more question: Do you know if the airframe kit that Horizon sells includes push rods and the engine mount?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Suko,

Any model that will be setup with the Park Zone 480 Brushless motor and the Stock 2-Blade 9.5 X 7.5 will fly very adequate as the Park Zone F4U Corsair, Park Zone Mustang (Newest version) and the Park Zone T-28 Trojans have proven this power system and prop selection so, it is no mystery and this is assuming a 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Lithium Polymer packs.

As to the Airframe Only...I really do not know if those items come with the Airframe and I recommend for you to call Horizon Customer Service for an answer.

Take care
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1,037 Posts
I asked the question here and the answer is "yes" to both!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...kix-PKZ5770#t7

Thanks for your help. Now I just need to find some cheap retracts and I'll be set. Wish me luck with my project.
Last edited by Suko; Apr 16, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 08:23 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
913 Posts
Everything Except The Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
Do you know if the airframe kit that Horizon sells includes push rods and the engine mount?

I know. The Parkzone Replacement Airframes come with everything except servos, motor and ESC.

You get all pushrods, a propellor, a spinner and adaptor, decals, landing gear, etc.
The motor-mount is also included.
The only thing you need is the four screws to hold your motor onto the motor-mount.
Replacement Airframes are excellent and very complete packages.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam