HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:01 AM
Beginner Flyer
Australia
Joined Apr 2009
127 Posts
Discussion
My First Crash

My plane's been sitting in the cupboard for over a year. I've been meaning to try it out for the first time for ages, but either it was too windy or I forgot about it or have been too busy.

Then today I had a mate around and we decided to do it. At least, a breeze was up with occasional gusts up to 29km\hr, so we figured we'd just let it go up and down, not far from the ground, going along the ground, and practise with the turns another day.

Yes, I know what you're thinking. A beginner shouldn't fly in winds over 5-10km\hr. But I thought we'd just play it safe, everything under control sort of thing. I knew what I was doing. And there weren't any trees around.

But then the plane got up to about 2.5m above the ground. Now, I've never flown one of these things before in my life, so my reaction-timing is somewhat slow. The wind caught it and pushed it along, and I thought I'd bring it down a little lower. That's where it all went wrong. See, I forgot that part about when the plane is coming towards you, the left and right swaps around. And just for a moment, my finger slipped and hit the elevator downwards to hard, and down she came, turning right when I meant her to turn left. Should've turned her first, right, then brought her down lower?

Lesson learnt: wait till there's no wind. I know, I know.... well I thought I did But it was probably more due to my lack of skill with the controls, thinking back to it, rather than Mother nature. Still, the crash isn't too bad and looks quite fixable. Just the nose off, clean cut, only in two pieces.

My question is now, should I glue or tape it back together? (Perhaps slip an ice-cream stick or piece of wire inside to support it all nicely). What sort of glue is best for this type of foamy job? Regular superglue? I've just heard some glues deteriorate the foam...
Catweazle is offline Find More Posts by Catweazle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,994 Posts
Welcome to the world of RC!!

There are foam specific glues. Otherwise just some good old 30 minute epoxy. If you have a way to hold it together (maybe some masking tape) the polyurethane glues work quite well on foam. Gorilla Glue is one name brand. The foaming action of the glue penetrates deep into the pores of the foam giving an excellent bond.

This will be the first of many crashes if you stay in the hobby. I suggest you find a local club to get some help from. Some have had good luck with the RC flight simulators also.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:46 PM View Post
biggles uk
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while biggles uk edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Gorilla Glue will have you up and flying by the next day. I would apply the glue to to one side with a Q-tip then remove all the excess glue you can with the same Q-tip. This stuff expands like crazy (especially in a warm environment) and you need very little to do the job. Spray the glue once or twice with a fine mist of clean water (to activate the foam) and reattach the parts, no need for toothpicks or other supports. Put one piece of masking tape along the seam to prevent the foam from expanding out, you want the foam to stay in the seam. Tape the pieces into the position you want and use lots of tape to prevent the foam from "pushing" the two pieces apart.
Let dry for 24 hours, remove the tape and sand/cut away any excess foam and you are good to go.
One of my planes had so many crashes, it was more Gorilla Glue than the original foam (almost).

I noticed in your photo that the nose is not taped up. Its a good idea to cover the nose with reinforced packaging tape to provide some structural strength and to beef up the weak points. Its amazing how the tape is to lesson the damage of most hard impacts.
Hope this helps
hotspur is offline Find More Posts by hotspur
Last edited by hotspur; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Beginner Flyer
Australia
Joined Apr 2009
127 Posts
Thanks folks, you've been a real help! Great idea for taping up the nose, never thought of that (duh!)

As far as this Gorilla glue goes, should I get the regular or the epoxy?
(http://gorillaglue.com.au/eng/glues/glue-guide/2/)
Catweazle is offline Find More Posts by Catweazle
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:13 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,994 Posts
The regular stuff. As mentioned it foams and penetrates the small voids in the foam giving an excellent bond.

I just sheeted some white bead foam with balsa for a plane I'm working on. If you look closely, you can see where the G.G. had penetrated about 3/16 inch into the foam.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:01 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Some hot glue will have that fixed in a few minutes. If you want to, you can put the nose tip in some close to boiling water and it will go back to it's original shape. Just make sure to press down the raised foam after you take it out of the water. Otherwise it will look like alligator skin.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:19 AM
eternal noob
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2006
138 Posts
just a hint of advice, you are better off as a beginner to get some altitude, instead of flying low to the ground. Altitude would of gave you some time to correct your mistakes you made with the controls. keep it 2 screw ups high :P
Caphead is online now Find More Posts by Caphead