HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post
this:

that god thing is what's holding you down.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
Here is one you can safely ignore as well. There will always be this kind of rancor for Christians anyplace you go. Pity them.

The people who seem to think you have some sort of mental problem are off their rocker. Its normal, you recognized the problem, asked for some advice, received some good advice, received some piss poor advice, now you choose and go on. Just fix it if you know it is broke. Good luck.
crashdummy6 is offline Find More Posts by crashdummy6
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:59 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koo View Post
@D W Well, we had some disagreements about my parents on another thread I posted about 6 months ago so that's why I posted that response.
Oh brother. That was you?!
I still feel kinda bad about that. Not that I was wrong but still...
Sorry, koo.
I would've pushed the ignore button too.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:09 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Oh brother. That was you?!
I still feel kinda bad about that. Not that I was wrong but still...
Sorry, koo.
I would've pushed the ignore button too.
Would have been a decent apology without that bit.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
D W
I love you man.
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
I was wrong in the way I said things.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:23 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdummy6 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
Here is one you can safely ignore as well. There will always be this kind of rancor for Christians anyplace you go. Pity them.

The people who seem to think you have some sort of mental problem are off their rocker. Its normal, you recognized the problem, asked for some advice, received some good advice, received some piss poor advice, now you choose and go on. Just fix it if you know it is broke. Good luck.
believing in god is a mental disorder, believing you have a relationship with said god is bat crazy

i'm thinking that some heavy pharmaceuticals are in order
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:24 PM
D W
I love you man.
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdummy6 View Post

The majority of serious mental illnesses are diagnosed in men in their late teens to early twenties.

Just because you know it is broke doesn't mean you can fix it without help. Good advice just won't cut it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:25 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koo View Post
This year im a freshman at Miami university and Iv noticed that I can't do almostanything I dont enjoy doing. This is like procrastination on steroids and I can't just live like this any longer. I am extremely smart, have lots of good friends and a strong relationship with God, but I just can't do things I dont enjoy. Im very disorganized and I also might have add. I spend way too much time on youtube and rcg. Anyone has any tips on how to get past this stage of life?
lol welcome to college
stop WORRYING and HAVE FUN and dont like your invisible friend stop you \
no one is going to care what your grades are dont the road on only that you got your degree do what you need to to pass and dont worry about the rest
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Koo, if you and your family feel there may be a legitimate medical issue that requires a diagnosis and treatment, get it.

Whether or not you do that, follow some of the good advice you have received here, it cannot hurt to try to change your study habits.

Don't give yourself dessert (youtube, facebook, rcg, etc) until you have finished your peas and carrots (the icky homework).
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:36 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
I blame the parents, ya know.....

Edit: I just read the 19 year old drinking kid thread. lol so I had to take the bait.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,141 Posts
Are you staying on campus?
First time away from home?

It could be as simple as not having someone to push you into things you'd rather not do. It's a little more difficult when you need to self start, and motivate yourself. It is just part of growing up. At least you understand there is an issue. A lot of kids just stop going to class, party all night, and dont realize there are consequences until they flunk out. So, FWIW, you're a little ahead of the game. Just do what you gotta do!
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:07 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post
believing in god is a mental disorder, believing you have a relationship with said god is bat crazy

i'm thinking that some heavy pharmaceuticals are in order
Gotta luv liberals.... once in a while, they crack open and speak the real thoughts inside
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:15 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I have the same problem and its not abnormal... People, especially smart people can have trouble concentrating on things that are of little interest. Unfortunately, its just part of learning so you will need to come up with some coping mechanisms to deal with it. I find that studying in short intervals with something in between to stimulate my mind helps. Try o find somethign to do that you wont get fully absorbed in and spend too much time doing.

This works for me, you may have to find something different to work for you.

As for your relationship with god... well, perhaps I could recommend some reading for you to do in between the study of lesser interestingmaterial:

Sam Harris
"Letter to a Christian nation"
"The God delusion"
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
D W
I love you man.
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
I have the same problem and its not abnormal...
From the small amount of information offered by Koo you cannot possibly know that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:27 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
From the small amount of information offered by Koo you cannot possibly know that.
Most people don't like spending quite time with material they find boring.... Just a fact. I know people like to start throwing drugs at this sort of thing, but the reality is that is only needed in extreme cases. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was a kid and grew up with no drugs and turned out fine (ok arguable LOL)

I know what its like... You start reading and when you get to the end of a paragraph you realize you don't know what you just read because you were flying a space mission in your head... so you start over, rinse repeat. Ohh look, a fly is trying to get out the window... cool, wonder if I can hit him with a pencil, woa look at that bird outside, I wonder what its doing, is he eating... damn Im kinda hungry maybe iI should drive to the Taco Bell....

But if you put my in front of an aircraft flight manual, I can read it for hours without being distracted... I get it.

Are you saying you can study uninteresting topics for hours on end?
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:36 PM
D W
I love you man.
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
Most people don't like spending quite time with material they find boring.... Just a fact. I know people like to start throwing drugs at this sort of thing, but the reality is that is only needed in extreme cases. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was a kid and grew up with no drugs and turned out fine (ok arguable LOL)

I know what its like... You start reading and when you get to the end of a paragraph you realize you don't know what you just read because you were flying a space mission in your head... so you start over, rinse repeat. Ohh look, a fly is trying to get out the window... cool, wonder if I can hit him with a pencil, woa look at that bird outside, I wonder what its doing, is he eating... damn Im kinda hungry maybe iI should drive to the Taco Bell....

But if you put my in front of an aircraft flight manual, I can read it for hours without being distracted... I get it.

Are you saying you can study uninteresting topics for hours on end?
All I'm saying is there is no possible way you can tell young Koo that you and he have the same problem and that it is not abnormal. From the small amount of information he offered his problem could run the gamut.