Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,031 Posts
Discussion
Model Plane Foam! ___ Any one tried it yet?

I was searching around the foamy scratch build forum, looking to see if there was an "easy/easier" way to take off the plastic from FFF. No luck with that but I happened across this product:
------------------------------------Model Plane Foam!-----------------------------------------
Our product is a premium extruded Polystyrene foam without the drawbacks of foam products like Fanfold found in the big box stores. It's pure white in color, has no paper or plastic skins, no printing, no perforations and is flatter and a consistent thickness. Sheets are 1/4" (6mm) thick and 24"wide x 48"long
http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

Has any one used this on a project yet?
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:20 AM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
281 Posts
Hi cooler,

It looks and sounds very like the depron we get in the uk -

http://www.depron.co.uk/
meerkat13 is offline Find More Posts by meerkat13
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:24 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,534 Posts
It looks just like the Depron we have been getting thru a number of importers.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,031 Posts
I don't know what depron looks like, but this is premium extruded Polystyrene foam. Same "basic material" as the owes-corning (pink) FFF, maybe dow (blue)FFF, too!

With a difference, no color-all white, no plastic backing, no pin holes, and no wavy finish. I think I read in there thread that the company that makes dollar store foam, makes this. If you care to read the thread here it is, caution its 134 pages long, and growing. The first post will give enough info for you to decide how much or where to start reading.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245
Mark
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,077 Posts
Mark ive been pretty happy with MPF . My only other source of foam before was DT foam . MPF bends easier cuts nicer and has a better overall finish to it .IMO its just the right blend of quality and price . I also find it to be more durable then dt and FFF . The white foam is nice aswell as it doesnt take as much paint . Depron cost more doesnt bend as nice , has a flatter overall finish ie no waves and is stiffer so better for 3d profiles .

Chris
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,031 Posts
Wilfor

Thanks for the info, I recognized your name from reading there thread, only up to April 2112 Talking shipping prices up your way. Just placed my order. I like working with the polystyrene foam, nice stuff. It certainly has just about everything you could want in a foam. Other than the obvious, white in color, no backing or holes, not wavy, I will be looking at the bending and shaping I can do with it. I have a thread below, where it will vital in getting the results I am expecting to achieve. Guess I wil just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,230 Posts
I get mine from http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...e8c3bf7a6d1cee. Just use standard building methods using this foam instead of balsa.
Here is one of my builds http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=12
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,885 Posts
Did a comparison the other day... firs chance to see the three types together Fm/Depron /Elmers'. Fm foam ..was.. a teeny bit sturdier (barely) under finger hand pressures than depron.
But even at bargain prices: ~$4 a sheet, whereas Elmers' foam board is ~$2, but it is a wee bit flimsier. However I can get Elmer's at the local Michaels.
Instant availability is huge for me.
Add a bit of extra reinforcing wood if strength is a concern.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,533 Posts
what do you guys mean you cant bend depron any one that has seen my Draken Thread knows i can bend depron just need s bit of heat and something to form it on ,like a can ,bullnose tile or a glass.depron has a grain to it ,it bends one way easier than the other ,this comes in handy for making nice stiff wings.i prefer depron for building ...every body has there own way of doing stuff .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:43 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
I've coated one side of depron with 3M clear packing tape (which keeps the depron from breaking, it spreads out the load) and then wrapped it around a round form without any heat, it worked very well, the depron kept it's shape. Just a test piece or two, never did build with that method but planned to.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep