HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 AM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Help!
What plane for G-Mark .061?

Got a new, never run G-Mark .061 at a swap meet for 15 bucks.

Need some RC kit suggestions. Preferably something sporty or warbirdy but would also consider something old-timery for S.A.G.

The only thing I have in mind is an Ace GLH...

Also, what off the shelf fuel can you run through it?

Thanks!
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:12 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
The technology is very similar to cox engines, and the power is about the same as a cox .049 too because of the regular glow plug they used. Use plenty of castor in the fuel, and you'll be fine.
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
The power of the .061 is equivalent to an .049? That's kind of disappointing.

I'm think maybe an R/C Old Timer of some sort. Change of pace from 3D and jets.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
What off-the-shelf fuel can I run in it safely?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:52 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
954 Posts
Randy Randolph G-Man, designed specifically for it. MAN plan, Air Age has it.

Engine had a reputation for throttling extremely well for being so small. Amazing find at that price!
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:44 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
I don't know what fuel you can easily get in US, but 10-20% Nitro and 20-25% oil (with a majority of castor in it) will do.

I think the GLH is a little too big. For a sporty plane I can recommend the Yellow Jacket (Air age store)

surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:58 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
How about the G-Haw. It's a Randy Randolph design (always great). It's on my 'to do' list, I plan to be building it soon for my G-Mark .061
mrcosmo is offline Find More Posts by mrcosmo
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:32 PM
Texas
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
Bill Northrop sells plans for the "Griffin VI" designed for G-Mark .061. 4Channel low wing looks pretty as well.
browncc is offline Find More Posts by browncc
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:48 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,200 Posts
the griffin isn't pretty IMO.

How about a thinned out version of Owen Kampen's Upstart?

It'll do rolling circles all day long if you know how.

Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcosmo View Post
How about the G-Haw. It's a Randy Randolph design (always great). It's on my 'to do' list, I plan to be building it soon for my G-Mark .061
Cute. Sorta Astro Hoggish.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
331 Posts
Someone is potentially offering me an Ace Pacer. That's a slick looking little number.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,456 Posts
I have the .061 it makes less rpm but can handle a little more prop then the TD. It gets hot and needs a castor blend; break in rich for a tanks worth to start and she will run cooler and unload a tad more rpm. The muffler is a poor fit and the vibrations give you extra goo from the aluminum rubbing.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:18 PM
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessholvlaru View Post
Cute. Sorta Astro Hoggish.
I believe he designed it for and flew it with his G-mark 061.
Ace simple series kits were great , I loved the ace wizzard and alpha with my G-mark061`s , they perform a bit better than most of the COX reedie 049`s and the COX QueenBee074 but a bit less performance than the TeeDee`s.
Yes with the extensive break in, if you don`t have theowners instruction sheet I can help you out.
Yes with the castor in your fuel same as COX engines.
Try a merlin flatcoil glowplug for a little bit more performance. If you still want more power,try BOB@flyfreeflight.com for a head conversion to use turbo flatcoil plugs or a globee style flatcoil plug to get best results without going too extensive.

Congrats on the swap meet find,nearly a steal,I would have jumped on that like a tiger on a 1 legged rabbit!
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:36 PM
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
One last thought. I have 2 used G-mark 061`s,1 I bought 24 years ago and is still running strong, the other Ibought used off a great moddeling buddy on the net with plenty of life left in it.
Both have had to have 1 or both the carb retaining screws replaced due to vibrating loose after hours of use. The engine I bought used came to me with a replacement screw in place of the original.
I would apply some threadlocker on those screws if I were you or you may end up like I did and have a day at the flying field cut short(not to mention the flight) due to that screw being lost in mid flight. Not a complaint on these little gems, just a heads up to a new member of the G-mark owners club.
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x