to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2004, 07:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,916 Posts
Great job Didier
Nice clean up work kitbasher.

Now, can someone convert the FUNTANA MINI.bmp to pdf so we can tile print it?

Thanks,
hoppy

UPDATE******
Had one on my computer that I had forgotten about. It's called "tile print" and will print any picture in a tile format. You just tell it what any one horizontal distance is in inches and it scales the print for you.

Here's the link. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=tile+print
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 03, 2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:12 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,916 Posts
After studying the plans, this looks like a great design... full body, strong rigid wing, no tail twisting. I'm thinking EPP for the body and tail pieces.
hoppy
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:46 PM
oroville CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
101 Posts
Hey Hoppy.Thanks,everybodys downloading but nobody is talking.It took me awhile and i finally got the hint and ordered an Axi(first brushless)and this is what its going in.I was going to try and form a semi symetrical wing for it.Dont know if it will make much of a differance but i've been wanting to try and make one out of depron anyway.So well see how it goes.Mike
kitbasher is offline Find More Posts by kitbasher
Old Jan 12, 2004, 09:01 AM
Hoofddorp, Holland
Joined Sep 2002
87 Posts
Hey Mike.
Making a semi-symetrical wing is the worst thing you can do!!!!!
This is a precision aerobatic and 3D model, you want to make it neutral in every attitude.
A lot of people think that a "flat wing" is not working.
In practise with such a low airspeed it is working very well.
Buying the Axi is a good move though.
didier is offline Find More Posts by didier
Old Jan 19, 2004, 02:59 PM
Just south of Cambridge, UK
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
Im going with the AXI, but how will you mont an outrunner? would you use the radial mount?

Ian
edible_engine is offline Find More Posts by edible_engine
Old Mar 04, 2004, 12:08 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Diddier
I took a look at those plans and did some clean up but I have a few questions.
1. Is the top part of the fuse made from Part #4. I don't see it represented.

2. What is your intended wingspan?

3. Is the wing sheeted on top and bottom or just sheeted on bottom and 3 3mm strips on top, or both.

4. Do you mind if I create tabs on the 4 fuse top and bottom pieces and notches in the fuse to align everything in its place thought free.

Great looking design I am getting started this weekend on one.

P.S. I have tested bending Depron with some scrap pieces and a heat gun. Has anyone used this technique with a PVC pipe and wrapped it as you heated it successfully? I am going to try that soon and would like to hear from a voice of experience.

Note: this is a work in progress and hasn't been properly sized yet.
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Last edited by SQUARE ROOT; Mar 04, 2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 04:37 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Here is the latest progress. I adjusted to a 32" wingspan for now.
Last edited by SQUARE ROOT; Mar 04, 2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 04:46 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Here is the latest progress. I adjusted to a 32" wingspan for now.
Oops, try this.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2003
224 Posts
Had an awesome flying session down the park this PM. This model rocks with the AXI 2212/34 on 3 cell lipos.
ditchit1 is offline Find More Posts by ditchit1
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:15 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,916 Posts
The first one I built had a EPP body. It flew well but that EPP was like holding onto a water balloon. LOL

This one is built according to the plans...3mm Depron. It is an excellent flyer. Inverted is neutral and it hovers very well. Glide landings are a snap. Just cut the power and it floats to the ground landing with about a 2' rollout.

Don't pass this one up if something other than a profile is to your liking.
hoppy
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2003
817 Posts
I like this plane. Can someone who has built one describe the procedure for gluing the long fuse joints together? Any other building shortcuts or things to avoid? Thanks for making the plans available.
rcmann is offline Find More Posts by rcmann
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:41 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,916 Posts
Start with center fuselage part.

1. Draw a line on the inside of each fuselage piece that follows the bottom line of the wing cutout.

2. With a damp rag, moisten edge of center support piece and the area below the line you drew above.

3. Apply a thin coat of polyurethane glue to the center support piece edge from the front edge to where the width starts to narrow.

4. Fasten the center support to the fuselage right under the wing cutout using T-pins to hold it in place. Push pins thru fuselage sides and into center support piece. MAKE SURE center support is at a 90deg angle to fuselage.

5. Let the glue set (several hours).

6. Now glue the remainder of the support on again moistering the edges and pinning the sides to the center support piece.

7. Add what other supports are going inside. I added another center support above the wing cutout that holds a 1/8" carbon tube that holds the 3/8" square hardwood block that holds the GWS gearbox.

8. Line up the tail ends of both fuselage sides and the wing cutouts. Use a clamp to hold the tail pieces together.

9. Again moisten the areas to be glued. Apply a light coat of polyurethane glue to the front part of the center piece to where it starts to narrow. Line up with wing cutout and pin to center piece. Let set.

10. Remove clamp from tail pieces and apply glue to remaining length of center piece and across tail where the fuselage pieces come together. Again pin the fuselage to the center support and than reclamp the ends of the fuselage together. Make sure there isn't any wiggle in the end of the body.

For the top and bottom pieces, I just cut out pieces using the center template and using pins and PU glue, added them in.

Here's a picture of my mod to the plane. I used a EPP block to hold the battery pack and landing gear.
Last edited by hoppy; Mar 20, 2004 at 12:52 PM.