Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Discussion
C grain balsa

Hello. I'm scratch building a GLH. They call for 3/32" C grain balsa all empennage for the tail. I see it for sale at Sig Mfg. I don't like the shipping charges/ oversize box fee's. What would be the best alternative to using this? I'm going to look up the word empennage because I don't know what that means.
Dave180 is offline Find More Posts by Dave180
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Ok empennage means tail feathers of an aircraft. Learn something new every day.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
If you only need a sheet or two, try the large box craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's. They usually have a pretty good balsa display. I would call first to make sure before I wasted my time though.

I assume you know "C" grain balsa when you see and feel it.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
I have both those stores nearby. I'll check them. I didn't see any at the regular hobby shop. I assume they're suppose to label it. I usually just go through what they have and look for something stiff with heavy grain patterns. But it would be nice get C grain. I could just do some lamination cross grain.

Edit: I did 1/32" plywood to 3/32" balsa. Its pretty stiff. Used 15 minute epoxy and a hair dryer to thin it out. Probably more heavy but who cares.
Last edited by Dave180; Dec 12, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:14 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,359 Posts
http://www.specializedbalsa.com/bals...sification.php

Where are you located and how much do you need?
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,213 Posts
'SEE' grain

"C" grain is 'speckled'- if you didn't know-very little straight grain.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,339 Posts
C- grain is indeed "speckled". However it also fits the criteria for "vertical grain", so the grain is infact the straghtest/strongest available for a given weight density (pounds per cubic foot). Light Balsa is 4-6 pound range, while medium, is usually around 8 lbs per cubic foot. 12 lb is rock hard, but the strongest. Anyone wishing to understand balsa and its application to model aircraft should Google Sig's explanations and charts. They have been linked here many times.

I've never seen a local retail outfit that sells balsa provide a grading system. 99.9 x's out of 100 hobby clerks won't have a clue.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit