SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2003, 01:16 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,981 Posts
Micro biplane

Inspired by Blue_bulls Bit SE5a is decided it was time for me to build a micro version. Here are the parts to far. All 2mm Selitac. Weight of parts is 2.7 grams. Wingspan is 24cm. It has app. the same wing area as my micro Jiglet which flies nicely at 13 grams AUW. I'm hoping to get this one down to 12 grams with lighter actuators, shorter wires and carbon prop.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2003, 01:30 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Michael,

where will this all end? Time to make infrared rx's! Usually the fingers are too big to put rc stuff into and out of these tiny fuselages (at least mine are), so it is good to provide each of them with its own rc set that can be built in permanently.

Great work again!

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Dec 28, 2003, 01:35 PM
Cannes Mandelieu, France
Joined Jun 2003
598 Posts
lovely plane!
i'll like to try selitac (i think it's different with wall foam i use for my planes)
if you have the adress i can try to get it from france.
thanks.
patrick.
bleriot 11 is offline Find More Posts by bleriot 11
Old Dec 28, 2003, 01:37 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,981 Posts
Jochen, with the IR receiver it would only weigh 11 grams!

You are right about fingers being to big to fiddle around in fuselages this size. When I go to Dortmund in April I will buy some more tweezer and surgical clamps in various sizes. I find these indespensable for micro work like this.

Michael
Old Dec 28, 2003, 08:31 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,981 Posts
Here I have trial assembled the model. For struts and U/C I am using 0.35mm fibreglass sheet. Great stuff; strong, light and cuts easily with a pair of scissors. Still to make: Interplane struts, wheels and cowl front.

Michael
Old Dec 28, 2003, 08:53 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Michael, really nice plane, love the use materials.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:15 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
All right now youve done it. Call me inspired.
I did practice cutting some packing foam today.
I found out that the wider the stuff is the better it cuts and 2 6 volt lantern batteries are better than one nichrome works good.
Push the block through slow enough so that the wire does not bend for smooth sheets. I guess I should put this info in hot wire
thread. Anyways I'm going to have to go and build a N11 or DR1 now that you have built that. It is a nice looking model.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:48 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,981 Posts
Started to add some color
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:57 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,981 Posts
I was getting a bit concerned about AUW but then I saw that Blue_bulls SE5a was almost same size but weighs 26 grams so this one should be OK even if it reaches 13-14 grams. The 4.5ohm pager is certainly up to the job.

Billy, the DR1 can be a tricky subject - either you need to add some dihedral to it or use ailerons.

Michael
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:27 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Michael.
Wonder if anyone has tried ailerons with 200 ohm coils on a ZTron or something?
The paint job look nice even on my monitor that makes everything look weird with no red.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:41 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,606 Posts
What are you using for plans? I was tempted by the FRED too. Are the airfoils cut with a hot wire or are they formed from a flat sheet?

I'm a hardcore balsa guy, but seeing things like this may just turn me (a little).
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:54 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,981 Posts
I found the plan here: http://www.theplanpage.com (cannot reach it at the moment to give you the exact location of the plan). I just shrunk the plan using Paint until the size suited me. It is all made from 2mm foam sheet. Wings are formed by wrapping the foam around a bottle and then baking them in the oven at just below 100C. No reason why you couldn't build this model with 0.8 and 1.0 mm balsa.

Michael
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:47 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,606 Posts
I d'loaded this plan some time ago. The Wing and tail surfaces are fairly easy to convert to sheet structure. How do you go about translating the stick and tissue structure from the plan to the shapes needed for a 3-D sheet fuse? There are a number of planes I'd like to do in 1/32 sheet balsa.

Are the thin sheet foams more resilent than balsa? My Micro Moth has gained too much weight from repairs to fly properly. The Micro Taxi conversion I did had the heck beaten out of it and the structure never failed. Did I just answer my own question? I did start another Micro Taxi and put it on a diet. I'll have to get back to it.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:04 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
The thin foam (depron at least) is more duarable then balsa. If it breaks, it is usually a very clean break that is easy to repair, but it will bend a lot before it breaks which is more than can be said for wooden structures.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Dec 29, 2003, 02:01 PM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Michael,

Very nice, you are like a factory.

BTW, do you want that wire?

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff