HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by epoxyearl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,844 Posts
Discussion
Mustangs and such

Steve, the college boy, came from the city to go with me to the New Garden Airshow.
Not being an airplane guy, he was eager to see it all.

I take models along to sometimes fly with the guys, sometimes just for display.
This day we had a 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup, so we arrived early.

It was a warm June morning,probably 7 am., with that bit of mist in the low areas. We assembled the Pup and deserted it to see what was here.
Around the corner sat a P-51 MUSTANG ! The young pilot was about to mount up,so Steve and I stood near with fire extinguishers at the ready.

The engine coughed to life, and settled into that smooth rumble, with no indication of what was to come..
Firemen weren't required,so as the pilot warmed it up,. I told Steve what to expect.......
-A slow taxi to the runway, followed by a mag check, the line up and then take off, which should be exciting.!
The pilot waved a finger, and powered up.The prop grabbed great bunches of air, and condensed the dew into trails of mist, passing the canopy..Those horses shook the ground, and they thundered down the runway.

The exhaust reverberated off the hangars,and echoed back from the trees across the way.At about two thirds of the way down the runway, he unhurriedly lifted off and sucked up the gear.He chandelled to a reasonable altitude and came back past.
All the stories you hear about the sound of a Mustang are true-it stays with you forever.Their escapades in war are countless, and here we were facing one in flight !
With tear filled eyes, I was speechless.Steve, the city boy,said "Wow !"-Yeah Steve.......wow.
The show,great my any standard,was second rate to the Mustang....Steve was making V-12 engine noises on the way home....

A recent survey determined the airplane most people wish they could fly is still a MUSTANG !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:45 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,100 Posts
That just about says it all......

As a very young man of about 8 or 10, I was outside one day as four military jets passed over our house in the country at what seemed treetop level. The noise was beyond description. I later found out that weekend was an airshow at the local airport and the Blue Angles were there. I can only assume those four planes were part of the Blue Angles. Of course I didn't get to go, but that was the defining point in my life that started me down the path of enjoying aircraft weather it be models or full scale.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,441 Posts
Going to Oshkosh is my Mustang fix...try sleeping at dawn while camping next to the airfield with 2-3 Mustangs flying in formation buzzing the field!

Time to wake up!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,844 Posts
There are a couple around here, privately owned. They never fail to force me outside when I hear them coming.

There's a Griffin powered Spitfire goes by once in a while, sounding angry....The Mustang is aptly named, being mostly gentle,but occasionally with a mind of it's own.

My fondest recollection was at Frederick, Md., a couple of years before they moved the Airshow to Martinsburg... We displayed models at one end of a taxiway,and when we flew, we stood on the return flight taxiway,50' from the returning aircraft.

One Mustang made an early morning flight,and returned making a 1 mile diameter right turn to the East/West runway.He held that Mustang off forever,and did a 3 point landing with it.Nobody believes me, but I saw it !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member