SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
Rave
National Balsa..... 2 thumbs up!

About 7 or 8 weeks ago, I placed my first ever order with National Balsa. The box arrived about 6 weeks ago, and sat unopened until today as I was finally getting my workbench together in preparation for my Windrifter build.

The packaging and quality of the wood I ordered was outstanding. Well packed in 3 different bundles, with foam peanuts filling in any gaps. Absolutely no damage to any corners or ends of any of the wood. And I have never seen such straight wood! It was all just perfect. Unless I need just 1 or 2 pieces for something quick, I'm done with buying wood at my LHS. National Balsa is the way to go. A+++
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,459 Posts
Agreed!! Only balsa supplier I've used in the last 10 years. Always good wood and top shelf service,three thumbs up!!
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:44 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Same experience with National Balsa here. Great outfit!!
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:36 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
493 Posts
National Balsa

Here is a Link To Them http://www.nationalbalsa.com/
Mr. Kite is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:12 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
I've ordered from them several times as well. Great service.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,737 Posts
I really like National! I ordered on the phone, the lady that I talked to knew exactly what I needed and asked me several questions that I never thought about to describe the wood.

They took their time to get my order right and when it got here it was the most beautiful wood that I have ever seen! But then again I've only been building for 54 years.

Now my question is should I cut it or frame it and hang it on the wall?

Blue Skies.............................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
Speaking of wood, sheet balsa to be exact, what kind of pen/pencil is best to mark the wood for parts layout? I've tried #2 pencils, ball point pens, fine tip sharpies. All work OK, but none leave a very crisp, fine and easy to see line. Any suggestions? I was thinking about a fine tip gel pen....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:45 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Speaking of wood, sheet balsa to be exact, what kind of pen/pencil is best to mark the wood for parts layout? I've tried #2 pencils, ball point pens, fine tip sharpies. All work OK, but none leave a very crisp, fine and easy to see line. Any suggestions? I was thinking about a fine tip gel pen....

I don't mark the wood directly especially if I'm going to cover in transparent such as an old timer or open bay sailplane wing or tail.Some blue painter's tape over the wood then the mark out with a sharp # 2.
Cut the piece then remove tape and presto,abracadabra,sim sala bim, no marks on the wood. Sand to fit or whatever method you use to finish the piece and Bob's your uncle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
Aye Chihuahua! Why didn't I think of that!!!??? Thanks Leadchucker!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
LC, I used your method today, the whole time thinking "how did I not already know about this?"

The ribs came out great, a far cry from all my previous attempts to duplicate ribs, which have been mediocre to poor.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:08 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsoaring View Post
lc, i used your method today, the whole time thinking "how did i not already know about this?"

the ribs came out great, a far cry from all my previous attempts to duplicate ribs, which have been mediocre to poor.

Thanks again!
Glad it worked for ya
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:31 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Yet further proof that you can teach an ol dog some new tricks L.V. I've been checking out National Balsa and it looks like they have everything I need for the A.S.P. prototype except for the spars which I'll order in from Aerospace Composites. If they're as good as everyone says I'll be a happy camper for sure. I'll give everyone warning before I order the materials for this flying lumberyard so you can buy stock in the company. You might want to buy stock in Top-Flite when I go to do the covering on it as well.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:39 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
Anyone going to the WRAM show in N.J. this weekend National Balsa is going to be there... They also have great plywood!
rfk is offline Find More Posts by rfk
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
so I'm an old dog, eh?.... I'll remember that.....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
884 Posts
I want to join the list of folks who have had great experiences with National. I have also had them do laser cutting and it's also excellent.

W
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member