HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:44 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Idea
New To The Hobby? Need Help Learning To Fly? Looking For Someone Local? (Beg. )

We all love model aviation no matter what the form. Some like airplanes, some helicopters, some sailplanes or gliders, others like multicopters, cars and/or boats. No matter what form of model aviation you participate in or like to do, at one point in time there was someone to teach you the ropes and show you how to build, fly, or how to know what power system to use on your new model. We were not born with knowing how to fly model aircraft or knowing how to build a foam or balsa plane. That skill or talent was most likely taught to you by someone close to you, or someone you met at your local club. But for some, finding that person to teach them the necessary skills is not always easy to do.

I have found a solution which will make it easier for modelers to get help in their local area, and an easy method that allows providing and offering help to others in this hobby. I have coined the term for those willing to help others “Model Aviation (MA) Mentors.” The idea is quite simple and it uses an online map program that is available to everyone.

The online Google Maps titled “Model Aviation Mentors; Model Airplane Builder Volunteers & Flight Instructors” allows MA Mentors to identify themselves with a location and contact information such as an email address, phone number, or RC forum link so modelers or newcomers in their local area can contact them if they are looking for help. Anyone looking at the map will not know your exact location or address; but they will know your general location to see if you are near enough to provide assistance.

If you would like to volunteer to be a Model Aviation Mentor please post in this thread and let me know, or if you prefer, send me an email or PM.

If you are looking for someone in your area, click on our map link: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...fa6f42a3de34bc

If you do not see someone local to you, post in this thread and we'll try to find someone close.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Nov 09, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Instructors/Builder

See map link in post #1
Last edited by Murocflyer; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Students/Plane Needs

1. Kitsura "I am a newb in the Coquitlam area of Vancouver, Canada and would love to get tips from people with experience."

2. Kmaung from Fresno, Ca. Looking for someone who can train me. I have a few RC planes. Thanks
Last edited by Murocflyer; Nov 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:56 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,093 Posts
A great idea Muroc... I really wish I had the time to devote for more building.
I have about three models in 'progress' at the moment, and have just agreed to help a fairly new FB with his scratch-build FunBat.
You'r right, first there needs to be a model plane before learning to fly, but I expect there's a number of people (experienced or not) that would say it's far better to buy a RTF model. Not me, I like building too, and there's nothing like taking your new build for it's maiden flight, a feeling I didn't get when flying an 'off-the-shelf' model. Good luck with your worthy venture, I really do wish I had the time to have my name etc. in your 'Volunteer builders' list
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Thanks! I wish there was something like this available when I first started in the hobby. I would have loved to have someone build my first couple planes for me for free and they probably wouldn't have flown so poorly. Or at the very least, be there to provide some advice when I did build them on my own.

Hopefully we can get quite a list of some kindhearted souls from all over to help newcomers in this hobby.

Frank
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:28 PM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
I'm happy to help with building and with flight instruction. I'm in Central Massachusetts. I like building from plans using sheet foam, I also like building balsa kits, foam kits, and ARFs.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
713 Posts
I'm happy to help. I'm in Guelph, Ontario, and can do foamies, ARFs' and a bit of balsa.
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Awesome! Thank you gentlemen! I have updated post #2 and our map as well.

Map looks a little bare at this time, but I imagine over time, it will be more populated as the word gets out and we find more people willing to help.

Frank
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:47 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
I'm in. Located in the South Jersey area (Glassboro/Vineland),have 40 years of flying and building behind me. While I do all kinds of flying, my main interest now lies with things that go bump in thermals. Specialities are electric sailplanes and antique ignition and electric old timers but also have glow and electric sport experiance.

Warren
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Awesome! Thanks Warren!

I know right now the map looks pretty empty, but Rome wasn't built in one day.

Frank
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I would love to be part of this but I obviously don't have the time, I can't even get a laser cut kit built. Although in my defense, that's because I can't figure out the perfect way to put lights in it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I would love to be part of this but I obviously don't have the time, I can't even get a laser cut kit built. Although in my defense, that's because I can't figure out the perfect way to put lights in it.
You can always be a MA Mentor. That will take a lot less time than building but also help others in your area. See:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1833619

Frank
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
For some reason, NJ is leading the way with 4 folks volunteering from the Garden State.

Frank
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,719 Posts
I fly with a bunch of experienced guys, and I'm always open to help newcomers (payback for all the help I got when starting!). Just send them to my RCG blog and they can PM me.

Located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I fly both planes and helis, and I'm a scratchbuilder (foam or balsa).
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
yes, I am an RC addict
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
I am a newb in the Coquitlam area of Vancouver, Canada and would love to get tips from people with experience.
Kitsura is offline Find More Posts by Kitsura