thanks
sweatybetty is offline Find More Posts by sweatybetty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
I've used it. It seems about the same as Econocote.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:12 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
I've used it. It seems about the same as Econocote.
I can't tell the difference, myself. They color match well, too. Maybe Towerkote is just Econokote with a different label.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I've used it plenty. Only 'issue' is the limited range of colours, but that's survivable . It demands lower working temperatures on my covering iron, but that's no big deal - I use a digital thermometer to check and set my covering iron and, being al little nerdy, have a spreadsheet of covering temps by covering makes.

Real good part is the price!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:11 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,904 Posts
Agreed, Towerkote is a bargain. The downside of Towerkote (and Econokote) is that it doesn't hold up to time very well, especially with glow power. The more you wipe it down the more the gloss wears off, and the seams lift. A Towerkote-covered glow model looks like hell after a season or two.

If that doesn't matter to you, or you are flying electric, then yeah, go for it. I like it for covering foam, where the low temp application and stretchy characteristics allow a good finish with no wrinkles and a painted-on look.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:50 PM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
574 Posts
Dereck,
So what is the best temp for Towerkote? and other coverings that you have used?
GarryOgilvie is online now Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:52 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,904 Posts
225 degrees for the low-temp stuff.

275 degrees for Ultrakote.

Nuclear blast for Monokote....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryOgilvie View Post
Dereck,
So what is the best temp for Towerkote? and other coverings that you have used?
For tacking Towerkote down, I use 225 degrees. For shrinking, I use my 'Hangar 9' heat gun on high, but am very careful with how close to the covering that heat gun gets.

My thermometer came from Radio Shack, though they can be hard to find now that they're more like 'Telephone Shack'. I believe these remote/IR thermometers are popular with RC car racers, so that kind of hobby shop may be a sourse. I don't use any kind of cloth 'sock' over my covering iron. temp readings are taken off the main part of the iron. Learning how long it really takes your covering iron to stabilise at a temperature is a good idea.

Other coverings? Solarfilm, though not for a while now. Solarfilm Lite, AKA SoLite and many other names - look for a weight of 0.6oz/square yard - 176 - 194 deg for tacking down, 230 - 250 deg for shrinking, or heat gun on low.

Monokote - 275 deg for tacking down, 280 - 300 for iron shrinking or heat gun on high.

Econokote - 225 deg for tacking down, 225 - 245 for shrinking, heat gun on high, but carefully.

and a minor dabble with Coverite Space Age film - 250 deg for tacking down, 325 for shrinking with iron.

No comment on 'fuel proof' characteristics of any, I haven't flown wet power for a while now.

Hope that helps. There's not a lot of lawyerbabble included, but trying little pieces out before hurtling into covering that quarter scale B17 is a good idea

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck