HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Trader Rating: 37
Question
Question about being paid with Paypal e-check

I just had a question for everyone. I just sold an item this morning and the seller paid with a Paypal e-check. I have never encountered this have no idea how this works. Is this safe? Am I good to go with this type of payment? Do I have anything to worry about? Any insight would be good. The guy seems like a stand up guy, I just don't know how this type of payment works, and I wanted some insight from people who may have experience with it
lawguy14 is offline Find More Posts by lawguy14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:16 AM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,415 Posts
Trader Rating: 393
Hi,
Yes, it happens.
I do not like it without knowing and approving before hand.
Still, I almost always wait until the E-Check payment is fully cleared before shipping out the item. I think it is about 3-5 business days.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Ok thanks for that info. So once the check clears I am good to proceed as normal. There is no way one can cancel the funds once the check clears and the heli is shipped?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:04 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,415 Posts
Trader Rating: 393
Well, that I don't know for a fact, yet I doubt it.
The only thing I could think of is the buyer filling a dispute then elevating to a claim. But that normally only happen with non received or item not as described.

Regardless of what I or most anyone says, you can always call PayPal and get it from the horses mouth.

As of yet in over a decade, I have not a problem with E-Checks.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
294 Posts
Trader Rating: 51
I've received PayPal e-checks that have bounced. As Jared says, wait 3-5 days for it to clear. PayPal will automatically e-mail you notification of the cleared payment (or notification of failure).
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
29 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
They are fine. Just never ship before it CLEARS. If it bounces its because he/she didn't have enough funds in their bank account to clear it (just like a regular check).
yannicksjh is offline Find More Posts by yannicksjh
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
2,085 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
lawguy14,
Echecks get issued when the buyer doesn't have a current back up source on file with paypal and payment is not from his PP balance, I had that happen to me until I figured out my CC on file had expired. Worried a few guys just like you.

No biggie, I've been on both ends. Like said, just let it clear before you ship, 2-3 business days usually. then everything else is just like normal payment.
scale_only is online now Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. This eases my concerns....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:32 AM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,464 Posts
Trader Rating: 140
Don't assume that your "buyer" KNOWS that you received an "E-CHECK". He may not know that has happened if one of his sources has changed and he might be thinking that you have been paid and are holding back on shipment.

Send the "buyer" a PM and let him know that you are going to wait until the E-Check clears. Also keep in mind that you can not even refund until it clears - and he can't stop payment until his bank acts - usually. Either way you are in the drivers seat as you only need to wait.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:23 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,918 Posts
Trader Rating: 234
I used to use and request e-checks on items over $200, as the fee was a $5 flat rate - unfortunately Paypal caught on to that and the fee, IIRC, is now the same as instant transfer.

AFAIK, you had to select "e-check" as an option to use it, but that may have changed, or may default when your other funding options are no longer valid. Contact your buyer, as like noted, he may not know. Definitely DO NOT ship until it clears.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
Just flyin low...
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Be careful. Have proof of shipment. Put your tracking on the PayPal details.
jdExtraZ is offline Find More Posts by jdExtraZ
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:08 PM
Green Fuel Boy
United States, OR, Newberg
Joined Sep 2009
83 Posts
Trader Rating: 27
Sorry this is a old thread but Paypal E-Checks are forced on us if we do not have an updated credit card on file. I found this out after a mobile payment with my phone. It never gave me a warning my card was out of date or a E-Check would be forced on me.

This is the link below to my rant for Paypal. I hate E-Checks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post27550875
Green Fuel Boy is offline Find More Posts by Green Fuel Boy