FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
Thake the glow plug out and connect it to your battery to see if it still works
Good thought.. that's the first one I had. The glow plug works fine.. glows bright orange instantly when connected to the HotShot.

WhiskeyKid... I hope you're right. I was surprised by the fuel spilling out of the carb when I primed it, and thought that might indicate flooding, too. The manual only mentions flooding in the context of seeing fuel flow through the relief tube routed to the exhaust. I'll give it another go soon when I can find time.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, everyone.

Barry
musechaserpilot is offline Find More Posts by musechaserpilot
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Thank you!

Well, I had some time this morning and went at the engine again. WhiskeyKid was right... I had flooded it the first time. When I went to carry the engine outside on its stand/mount, a whole bunch of fuel ran out of the exhaust when it wasn't level. I emptied the whole thing, followed the directions and trusted that two priming strokes were enough, and it started right up after maybe 10 seconds on the starter. Good to GO! Thanks, everyone.

One quick question.. is there an adjustment for friction on the throttle? When the engine is bench-mounted, the throttle moves so freely that it vibrates itself closed rather quickly. I had already rigged a large bent paper clip so I could adjust the throttle without having to have my fingers so near the prop, but I had to keep my hand on that adjustment the entire time. It's about 25 deg here, and in the propwash my fingers just about fell off from the cold! <grin>.

Thanks again, all.

Barry
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:38 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post
thanks, i see that even the little .10FP was ABC and that i do kind of remember as i had a .10FSR which must have been the last lapped iron engine OS made.
FWIW, there were some FPs that had steel/steel P/L
Some of the C/L stunt guys prefer them over the later ABC ones.

Pat MacKEnzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,386 Posts
sorry for the loss of your fingers!

and no! there is no friction device on the carb! that needs too be done on your test stand!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:24 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,956 Posts
When I had an actual engine stand I rigged it with a throttle and would just plug in a spare battery and receiver... a bit more setup that way though. I would suggest setting up an actual throttle lever to attach to the pushrod to control the throttle.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:21 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by musechaserpilot View Post
>
>>
>
One quick question.. is there an adjustment for friction on the throttle? When the engine is bench-mounted, the throttle moves so freely that it vibrates itself closed rather quickly. I had already rigged a large bent paper clip so I could adjust the throttle without having to have my fingers so near the prop, but I had to keep my hand on that adjustment the entire time. It's about 25 deg here, and in the propwash my fingers just about fell off from the cold! <grin>.

Thanks again, all.

Barry
Here is what I usually do to control the throttle during a bench test or breakin.

See the metal piece behind the fuel tank and a wire to the throttle.
Keeps your hands away from the prop.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Thanks, Zor! I smiled when I saw your pic.. it looks almost EXACTLY like the mount I built, including the rubber bands for the fuel tank. I clamp mine to a deck railing rather than a picnic table, but otherwise that pic could have been of my setup, minus the metal lever for the throttle you fabricated behind the fuel tank. Great idea. I'll do that today.

Best to you!

Barry
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:43 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Here is what I usually do to control the throttle during a bench test or breakin.

See the metal piece behind the fuel tank and a wire to the throttle.
Keeps your hands away from the prop.

Zor
Exactly what I was talking about Zor, thanks for the pic.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
I am ignorant

Remember fellows that some guys consider that I know nothing about modelling and should not even post.

That is regardless of hunderds of building pictures I have posted over the years.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
911 Posts
The 40 FP is quite sensitive to flooding. I choke enough to bring the fuel to the carb and then two turns when cold (when hot, no choke at all). Then a couple quick flips to get the charge up to the combustion chamber. Then attach battery and flick with a chicken stick. If the prime is right it will start right away. I keep a starter handy but almost never use it. This is a plain bearing engine and you can wear it down by making a habit of using the electric starter. Plus you just don't need it.

The chicken stick is a dowel inserted into a piece of heater hose from the auto parts shop. It's a fine engine and trouble free as long as you don't flood it.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait