HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:40 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
Another example of an ill used term is airplane. It's not an airplane it's aeroplane or aircraft. But like I said who really cares?
Exactly...

Now about them being toys...
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
What a hilarious thread. And here I have thought all these years all engines were refered to as ICE's ( internal combustion engine). And I thought gas was short for gasoline which is a term for petroleum, which is a common term among anyone that has anything to do with engine's, including the oil refineries. But then what do I know. I do know I don't give a hoot what anyone anywhere calls any of it. As long as I have enough common sence to know what they are talking about we can have a conversation.
Sure, they're all considered internal combustion engines but ICE isn't descriptive enough since a major defining factor is the fuel they use, and the ignition method. And the only external combustion engine I can think of is steam engine.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
Another example of an ill used term is airplane. It's not an airplane it's aeroplane or aircraft. But like I said who really cares?
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. I'm not sure what the origins of "airplane" or "aeroplane" are and which acurately describes a conventional, fixed wing type of craft, but it definitely is not "aircraft". I fly a powered paraglider which has a non rigid, ripstop nylon wing or glider. It's an aircraft as are helicopters, gyrocopters, etc. Anything that flys is an aircraft. The term aircraft doesn't exclusively describe a fixed wing type of flying craft.

And don't even get me started on the whole engine/motor thing. According to the some that thing i ride with the two wheels is an enginecycle. The guys that are into hopping up their cars are engineheads. Detroit is engine city! Go figure!

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:13 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,116 Posts
And my wife drives a rice burner. But you don't see her coming out of the grocery store with a cart full of Uncle Bens.
Point is the people have become very diverse and the english has as well. Holding to the true meaning of the literal word will cut many a conversation short. And for what, we all know verywell what one means by I have a nitro engine or even a nitro motor. We all know most people go to the autoparts store and ask for parts that fit there cars motor. Even though it may be a truck and it more than likely has an engine. I don't think any parts salesman has ever sold a set of brushes to someone for there F-150 motor.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,553 Posts
I am here before you,too stand behind you, too tell you all about, something I know nothing about!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I've always said "nitro engine" ever since I got my first rc car 12 years ago, and still call them that in my aircraft; I've also always call the fuel "nitro fuel". Now if the fuel contained 0% nitro then using the term "glow" would be more fitting. I don't belive in running 0% nitro because from my expierence it makes the engines run like crap. Which leads the engines to be called Nitro Engines since they require nitro to run more effeciently.

But this is just my 2 cents......
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
And my wife drives a rice burner. But you don't see her coming out of the grocery store with a cart full of Uncle Bens.
See, this just proves my point about mis-used terms. Your wife does not drive a rice burner, she drives a rice grinder. Rice burner makes absolutely no sense because cars don't burn rice. The term rice grinder does and came about apparently because someone thought they sounded like a rice grinder. Somewhere along the line it got corrupted into rice burner and no one bothered to stop and realize that it made no sense.

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
It's actually a derogatory term used for import cars from the asian areas. I won't explian it on here, just use your imagination.
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,116 Posts
So then, I guess a deep fryer is actually a deep boiler!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,116 Posts
im a gittin bac ta wurk on me Pitts. yu'all have fun treddin this threddin.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:59 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. I'm not sure what the origins of "airplane" or "aeroplane" are and which acurately describes a conventional, fixed wing type of craft, but it definitely is not "aircraft". I fly a powered paraglider which has a non rigid, ripstop nylon wing or glider. It's an aircraft as are helicopters, gyrocopters, etc. Anything that flys is an aircraft. The term aircraft doesn't exclusively describe a fixed wing type of flying craft.

And don't even get me started on the whole engine/motor thing. According to the some that thing i ride with the two wheels is an enginecycle. The guys that are into hopping up their cars are engineheads. Detroit is engine city! Go figure!

Mike
Easy to figure

Like all engine ears "engineers ?" that feed on liquid and solid fuel and have a brain that runs on electricity beween neurons.

Is it motorized ? _ _ _ NO it is enginized ,

_ _ _ _

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:20 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16DCC View Post
I've always said "nitro engine" ever since I got my first rc car 12 years ago, and still call them that in my aircraft; I've also always call the fuel "nitro fuel". Now if the fuel contained 0% nitro then using the term "glow" would be more fitting. I don't belive in running 0% nitro because from my expierence it makes the engines run like crap. Which leads the engines to be called Nitro Engines since they require nitro to run more effeciently.

But this is just my 2 cents......
It really depends on if the engine was setup to use zero nitro glow fuel or not. Many engines sold in the USA for the American market tend to be setup for running more nitromethane in the fuel. So they may or may not do well with 0% glow fuel. But engines setup for 0% nitro glow fuel run quite well like that. Many European market engines are setup for 0% fuel and won't run well at all with nitro glow fuel. You have to shim the head to lower the compression ratio to get them to run Ok with nitro glow fuel. Some brands used to include a set of shims or head gaskets so that one could adjust the compression ratio as needed.

I have been running and using glow engines with zero to 5% nitro methane glow fuel for years and years without problem. Now over time, I did wind up with a couple of engines that needed 15% to 20% nitro glow fuel to run OK. But I sort of consider them to being exceptions though.

Now then the little 1/2a engines all pretty much need higher nitro glow fuel to run really good, but I have setup some 1/2a engines to run off of 0% nitro glow fuel, anmd except for the expected drop in performance the little engines ran really well too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
But that's only if they don't know what they're talking about. The term "motor" is generic and describes any device that converts energy into motion. So naturally it includes engines which are things that convert chemical energy into motion. It also includes electric motors and even rubber motors.

But what you can't do is call electric motors "engines" because they use electrical energy not chemical.

So motorcycles are still motorcycles, even those with electric motors. And those electric racing bikes are getting pretty good now, even if they do sound a bit silly whistling along at 150mph plus .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
613 Posts
I'm with you 100% Mike. Referring to glow engines as "NITRO!" engines, calling a transmitter a "radio" or worse yet a "remote". Drives the inner English teacher in me crazy.

But you know what? All of that pales when somebody puts the two little letters am or pm behind the number 12...

As a wise member of RCGroups once asked: 'We are a hobby of nerds. Don't think so? Prison inmates on death row often receive anonymous love letters from women, when was the last time you saw a modeler get one?'
WBE is online now Find More Posts by WBE
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
I'm with you 100% Mike. Referring to glow engines as "NITRO!" engines, calling a transmitter a "radio" or worse yet a "remote". Drives the inner English teacher in me crazy.

But you know what? All of that pales when somebody puts the two little letters am or pm behind the number 12...

As a wise member of RCGroups once asked: 'We are a hobby of nerds. Don't think so? Prison inmates on death row often receive anonymous love letters from women, when was the last time you saw a modeler get one?'
I can make sense of a remote radio ransmitter if the transmitter is remotely controlled by a remote device .

Concerning 12:00 o'clock _ _ _ I attribute the 12:00 at the beginning of the period, so _ _ _
12:00 AM or 12:00 am is midnight,
12:00PM or 12:00 pm is noon time.

It is also confusing concerning the date.
If I read " it terminates (or becomes effective) on the (put any date here) at 12:00 o'clock, I do not know if that date is included or excluded or is it at noon time on that date.

Many have avoided this confusion by using 12:01 .
This (It) becomes effective (terminates) at 12:01 AM on (the date written here).

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)