HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
I just did a search on Airtronics receivers and a bunch of places came up.

Nothing wrong with Hobby people. They are the USA distributor, as I understand it. But other places do run sales or can have stock on something that is out at HP.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Please look at receiver costs before buying any one radio...
Aye, there seems to indeed be a bit of price difference.

//Faap
Faap is offline Find More Posts by Faap
Last edited by Faap; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Of the major brand radios, Hitec will generally have the lowest price on receivers. Even back in the 72 MHz FM days Hitec offered lower price receivers for their radios and other brands. In the 2.4 world they only do receivers for their own radios.

Of the three that were named in the first post, JR, Futaba and Airtronics, the prices will be similar for the brand name receivers. In my opinion, if you only have a few planes that will get receivers, ignore the price difference between the brand names. Get what you want based on the radio you like and forget the rest of the discussion.

Today you can buy off brand compatible receivers for Futaba FASST, Spektrum DSM2/DSMX and Hitec AFHSS 2.4 GHz. There may be others. Natually you will get various opinions about the quality and reliability of these compatibles. The FASST and DSM2 combatibles have been around for more than a year. The Hitec AFHSS and DSMX compatibles only hit the market recently, so their track record is limited.

So, in my opinion, if you have a lot of planes, and you have to decide what a lot may be, then the price difference may be important between the brands.

For my primary aircraft, expensive or loved, they get the genuine article. In my top 4 planes I have Futaba brand FASST receivers. For some of my "lesser" aircraft, I would consider compatibles at a $50 saving per receiver. I have about 25 aircraft with about 15 that have receivers in them at any given time, so 11 X $50 savings per receiver adds up. But the top planes get the Futaba brand receivers.

Your smileage may vary.
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, NC, Lenoir
Joined Aug 2009
8 Posts
I've got a walkera 2801 Pro that I plan on using for a Rochobby V-tail glider made by FMS. Tho I have tried helis I have never flown a plane before and this one is supposed to be good glider for beginners. This glider comes equipped with separate flaps. I understand the right stick controls the elevator and ailerons but what switch or stick controls the flaps. Are flaps generally an on or off function or are they generally digital proportional? If the later is the case there must be a way to assign a switch to allow one of the sticks to be used for flaps. My question is once everything is set up, how will I control the flaps? I already have this radio system from my short lived heli experience. I see I'm planning on the same type of glider the previous person is planning on using.

The 2801 Pro has a little 2 position switch that indicates FLAP and HOV.P It also has a + and - Is this the switch I would use for flaps? This radio has so many settings but it's the one I have to use. I don't live near a hobby shop so I'm asking for your help. I'm sure I will have many other questions coming up.

Thanks in advance.
ecoovert is offline Find More Posts by ecoovert
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Already answered some of your question elsewhere but the switch is the flap switch and your two servos for flaps attach to whatever channel that switch controls. The plus and minus indicates up and down. The HOV.P is used for a helicopter preset. and as such can be ignored. If you do not know which channel plug a servo into a channel and try the switch if the servo moves that's the one and you can use as flaps if not try again until you find the right position,BUT you do not HAVE to use that channel you could plug the motor ESC into that position then it would be a motor on off switch, or you could plug the landing gear servo then it would be the gear switch.

Looks like a very good radio optimized for helicopter but totally useful for sailplanes. Specs did not mention any mixes but they have at least three switch controlled mixes for helicopter. At this time just use the switch labeled Hover/Flaps. worry about the rest later afyer you get some time flying your sailplane. You will need to set the mode from helicopter to airplane. Look through the menu to see if there is an option for V-tail maybe called ruddervator. If not get back with me and we will figure out how to make it work with the V-tail.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Last edited by tlar633; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Walkera 2801 Pro

Found your radios manual online. Pretty sophisticated radio. It is easy to set up V-tail after you set model type to airplane.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8 Posts
Thanks for the help tlar633.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:08 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
Your location is not specified but are you UK?

I still highly suggest you find a nearby group of flyers and/or visit the nearest hobby shop prior to spending a single cent and feel the radios, hold them, ask the owners about their thoughts on programming them, good experiences, bad, spare receiver availability etc.... If it were a car or a ...., wouldn't you give it a test drive before making an acquisition or other long term commitment?

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8 Posts
No I'm not in the UK. I live in a small town in North Carolina in the US. Thanks for your input but I already have the radio and like the way it feels in my hand. It's left over from my 450 heli. experience. It's a great radio and receivers are readily available. Found out that I am not going to be a heli. pilot. They are way too much of a hand full for me and every crash with a heli means hoers of repairs and I have plenty of crashes with 6 channel helis. That's why I decided to give powered gliders a try. Only problem is I have never programed a radio for fixed wing and the fact that I also want to be able to control the flaps adds another factor since as far as I know only 4 channels are assigned to the sticks. I need to know which switch would be used for flaps as well as weather the switch itself automatically brings the flaps down or weather the switch switches one of the sticks to handle flaps while coming in for a landing...

Again, thanks for your input ScottSails
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoovert View Post
No I'm not in the UK. I live in a small town in North Carolina in the US. Thanks for your input but I already have the radio and like the way it feels in my hand. It's left over from my 450 heli. experience. It's a great radio and receivers are readily available. Found out that I am not going to be a heli. pilot. They are way too much of a hand full for me and every crash with a heli means hoers of repairs and I have plenty of crashes with 6 channel helis. That's why I decided to give powered gliders a try. Only problem is I have never programed a radio for fixed wing and the fact that I also want to be able to control the flaps adds another factor since as far as I know only 4 channels are assigned to the sticks. I need to know which switch would be used for flaps as well as weather the switch itself automatically brings the flaps down or weather the switch switches one of the sticks to handle flaps while coming in for a landing...
Again, thanks for your input ScottSails
Is this your glider?
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-v-tail-glider-arf/

Is this your radio?
http://www.wowhobbies.com/wk-2801pro...licopters.aspx

I don't know your radio or your glider but I will make this suggestion. Tape the flaps in place. Don't connect them and don't use them at first. You don't need them to fly the glider and they will just add complication to the set-up and to the landing. You don't need the to fly or to land.

Learn to fly the glider first using 4 channels and then look into the flaps.

Read the manual for the radio to learn where and how to set up the flaps. Be sure to look for a flap to elevator mix at that time.

Read these articles.

> Six Keys to Success
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208

> THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF
> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767681

> Test Flight Procedures
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226

HOW TO FIX WARPS, DENTS, TWISTS OR UNCRUNCH FOAM PARTS
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11127

> Plane Locators
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=237

> The New Glider Pilot's Handbook
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575459

Glide Path Controls and Elevator Compensation – SEE POST #6
Use of flaps and spoilers with Elevator
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=234
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8 Posts
Thanks aeajr,

Yes, that is the plane I'm looking at purchasing. It comes with the flap servos already connected so I guess what your saying is to disconnect the flap servos and tape the flaps so they don't flutter. Is that correct?

Here's a question for you. Are the flaps actuated by a switch converting the aileron stick to flaps allowing for digital proportional control or does the switch itself actuate the flaps? In other words does the switch put the flaps down to a preset angle?

I was only planning on using the flaps to allow this glider to land in a shorter distance. Since gliders such as this one have a tendency to ride on a cushion of air for a long distance some have recommended to me the use of flaps to bring it down in a shorter distance. They stated that for beginners this makes landing a glider easier since you are less likely to run out of field before the glider comes to a stop. Is this correct or have I been misinformed?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Thanks aeajr,

Yes, that is the plane I'm looking at purchasing. It comes with the flap servos already connected so I guess what your saying is to disconnect the flap servos and tape the flaps so they don't flutter. Is that correct?

Here's a question for you. Are the flaps actuated by a switch converting the aileron stick to flaps allowing for digital proportional control or does the switch itself actuate the flaps? In other words does the switch put the flaps down to a preset angle?

I was only planning on using the flaps to allow this glider to land in a shorter distance. Since gliders such as this one have a tendency to ride on a cushion of air for a long distance some have recommended to me the use of flaps to bring it down in a shorter distance. They stated that for beginners this makes landing a glider easier since you are less likely to run out of field before the glider comes to a stop. Is this correct or have I been misinformed?
I have never seen that radio and don't know anyone who has one, or even that brand of radio.

Flap control would be different on every make and model of radio. On my Futaba 9C I can assign flap control to a switch, the left stick, a side slider or a dial, whatever I like. Your radio may allow the same or it may not be that flexible.

RTFM, read the friendly manual.

Flaps are wonderful tools, but set-up or used incorrectly they will lead to crashes, sometimes serious crashes.

As you are just now learning to fly I suggest you take that complication out of the picture unless you have a tiny flying space. If that is the case I would question your choice of aircraft.

I fly a Parkzone Radian, 78 inch wing span, all the time which has neither ailerons or flaps or spoilers and I can land it at my feet with no problem.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4700

I have two Easy Gliders which have no flaps and can land them at my feet, no problem.
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...FUid4AodvRYAmw

And I have gliders that have flaps and/or spoilers and I can land them at my feet too.

You don't need flaps to fly and you don't need them to land.

Learn to fly. Learn to use the flaps later.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8 Posts
tlar633. I re read your reply to my question and you seem to have given me the info I needed most. Thanks for offering to help in the future. I look forward to future correspondence.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
anytime

actually aeajr is the guy that seems to know the most about sailplanes in the groups. I have always been decent with radios and programming. You probably don't have to tape the flaps just don't use them.

Since you already are used to the throttle stick being used as a throttle I would chooses a switch on the left side of the transmitter (probably an aux, or the one labeled hover/flap) that assumes you have elevator and ailerons on the right stick
that way you do not have to let go of the rt hand controls to activate flaps. You need to be aware that when flaps are used the sailplane will try to balloon upward. Be ready to feed in a little down elevator or mix some in with the transmitter. See the Radian Pro forum as the plane you have chosen will fly like the pro that forum has some programming as far as those mixes go. Fly it on low rates at first. Altitude is your friend. Be there before trying flaps or anything else you haven't done before. I used to fly landing approaches with the radian at 800 feet until I got my mixes right.

I can help you more if you wish on crow and reflex (I put all of the Pros feature on my 6 channel) But you should do as aeajr says fly awhile on 4 channels.

Sorry for all the unsolicited advice I didn't get much help when I started and I love to teach.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:21 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Thanks aeajr,

If the servos are already mounted, then no need to remove the control rods. What I meant was don't plug them into the receiver. Or, if you want to plug them in just make sure you don't operate them.

If you had needed to put the servos in then I was saying to wait and just tape the flaps in place. But the servos will hold them in place, so that is OK.