SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
949 Posts
Thanks for the constructive stuff guys.
Work has been busy so I probably won't get to play with this until the weekend now.
With your feedback I'm feeling fairly confident I can make it work so keen to sit down with the multimeter & soldering iron & start working it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew View Post
Mode 2 is the normal way your brain works. It's the way real planes fly, flight simulators, video games, PTZ cameras, and every other normal joystick operated device works.
Sorry mate but that's a pretty stupid statement.
Mode 2 is normal if that's how you learn & fly. I've been flying Mode 1 for 28 years so mode 2 is not normal for me. As for real planes, I'm yet to fly a real plane (or sailplane) with 2 gimbals. All of the real aircraft I've flown (quite a few) all have some sort of stick & pedals & are nothing like flying an RC plane in any way shape or form.

Don't get hung up on the "why"... This is an excercise in "can I". I have 3 perfectly good computer radios I can use if this fails & the weather is not favorable for flying at the moment so what else am I going to do??

Bruce,
Are you suggesting that I only need to cut & swap the output track on each pot?
In my mind I was thinking that I'd need to swap the lot but you've got me thinking now.....
Cheers.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Al, to be sure, measure the voltages at the pots, normally you should see - and (regulated) + at the outer pins and something between (and varying with the stick position) at the mid pin. In 99% of todays radios this should be the case and then you just have to swap the middle line. You could also check the outer pins with an Ohm meter and should see 0 Ohm between corresponding outer pins, so no need to swap, they are connected anyway..
microfan is offline Find More Posts by microfan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Mode 2 works in F-16's!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
591 Posts
Quote:
Mode 2 is normal if that's how you learn & fly.
Mode 2 is normal period. It's the logical and natural way to interface a joystick. No system I'm aware of that uses a joystick does anything different.

All planes, sims, etc. use the ailerons and elevator tied to one control. Weather it's a yoke or a stick really doesn't matter, the movement is the same.

If I gave you two mice and each could only move one direction you'd laugh at how foolish that system was. If you want to use a system like that, fine. But just realize it isn't normal and every other joystick ever made works in a mode 2 fashion.

Sorry to get off topic, but if you want a better answer we need better pics or a diagram or explanation of where the traces are going. I'm happy to help if I can.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:28 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Mode 2 is normal period....
"logical", "normal" or not is just a matter of opinion.
Mode 1 works just as well as mode 2, in fact better for some.
This guy won most everything and became World Champion flying mode 1:
http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits...t36/index.html
See his first personnal transmitter and scroll down to see that every picture shows him with the mode 1 transmitter he used to win everything in sight.
I guess some people never learn...
And even owning and flying his own full-scale aircraft did not seem to bother him
As we say where I'm from: "Si tu n'aimes pas, n'en degoute pas les autres" (If you don't like it, don't put others off it)
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:17 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
591 Posts
Quote:
"logical", "normal" or not is just a matter of opinion.
Ummm.... NO. Check a dictionary some time. Apologies if you're not a native English speaker.

Anyways, let's quit jacking this thread. Mode 1 is not logical or normal for a joystick system. It's a holdover from before electronics manufacturers were able to properly make joysticks, nothing more. That's not a slight against mode 1, just a plain old facts. I'm sure some people find may find some legitimate benefit from it in some circumstances.

There's nothing wrong with using non-normal methods. Nothing at all wrong about it IMHO. But don't take offence and start an argument when someone mentions the fact.
Last edited by jakestew; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:46 AM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Ummm.... NO. Check a dictionary some time. Apologies if you're not a native English speaker.

jakestew, are you from England?
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:19 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Mode 1 is not logical or normal for a joystick system...
It surely hasn't escaped your attention that most fly transmitters with two joysticks ?
On any European field, you'll be the odd (ab"normal") one if you're flying mode 2
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being a left-handed, gay midget. Nothing at all wrong about it IMHO. But don't take offence and start an argument when someone mentions that you're "not quite a normal type of fellow".
Wow Nelly!!!

And check what the best have been flying:
http://www.teamflyingcircus.com/foru.../index318.html
("best" of course isn't "normal" or "logical" for most of us)
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:53 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,333 Posts
Quote:
Mode 1 is not logical or normal for a joystick system. It's a holdover from before electronics manufacturers were able to properly make joysticks, nothing more
Do tell more.

Sure I am not the only one who cant work out how it took some advance in joystick manufacture before there were able to swap them from one side to the other.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:09 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Before there were joysticks, there were buttons ...

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:42 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Mode 1 is not logical or normal for a joystick system. It's a holdover from before electronics manufacturers were able to properly make joysticks, nothing more. That's not a slight against mode 1, just a plain old facts.
jake is right (for a change ). mode1 is irrational. almost as bad as mode 2. if tradition and group influence are factors these prevail but when looked at from the standpoint of logic and ergonomics mode 4 is the best choice. its the only mode where going from 3ch to 4ch the rudder and aileron sticks dont swap. avoids the need for having to learn to fly all over again.

of course those who never fly 3ch or never fly 4ch+ will not appreciate this. the other argument is that you can simply reprogram your radio to compensate. this ignores the fact that 90% of rc transmitters are non-programmable. and then there are the guys who do use both 3ch and 4ch and endured the nasty learning curve and then try to drag others into the whirlpool. like they say "misery loves company".
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
On any European field, you'll be the odd (ab"normal") one if you're flying mode 2
Wow Nelly!!!
Just because a colony of abnormals happen to live together doesn't make it normal.

Even in Europe mode 1 is still abnormal in relation to every other interface ever designed that I'm aware of. They don't split cursor movement between two devices and their joysticks work the same. The planes there have the same sort of controls and all the video games work in the same normal way.

I'm not against mode 1 in any way, but just don't pretend it's a normal or logical way to control things. That's like learning to drive a tank first, then complaining that you can understand, or are unwilling to learn, how to drive a car. Maybe controlling the rotation of each tread has advantages over steering front wheels, but it's certainly not the natural or normal way to control things.

Using a joystick is just natural and takes most children less than a minute to figure out. It's very easy to push and see that you pitch down, pull to pitch up, left to roll left, etc..
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:58 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Just because a colony of abnormals happen to live together doesn't make it normal.

jakestew, where are you living?
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:59 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
949 Posts
This is why children should be monitored when on the internet......
I've locked the thread before it gets even more off topic & out of control. I'll unlock after I've done the mods to post the result.
My thanks to those who contributed in a positive manner.

Al
Last edited by _AL_; Feb 14, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
949 Posts
Microfan, Sadsack, Bruce,
Thanks for the advice. It worked perfectly & the TX is now working in Mode 1.

Andykunz, I'll have to take your word for the F16. Sadly I've never parked my backside in one of those.

Al