HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I look at it this way: what's the probability that a servo will or won't need an extension? In my experience maybe half the servos I install need one. At those odds, it's not irrational to be thinking of a different approach.

If half the appliances in your kitchen needed extension cords, maybe you'd think about it... or if the extension cords cost nearly as much as the appliance they served, or weighed half as much.

It's hardly a moot issue -- for me, right now. I have two builds on hold for want of servo extensions of the proper length. Being a cheapskate, I'm not about to buy them from my LHS at $2.50 a pop, so they've been ordered from some place in Hong Kong where the cost is more reasonable.
Is the glass half empty or half full?.... With those odds, half need them and half don't, so there is just as much reason to not think of a new approach as there is a reason to do so...

Those that need them may or may not need a different length from model to model.

Even cheaper to solder extension wire onto the existing leads if you want to save money.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Andy probably meant that early radio systems used an escapement powered with a wound elastic rather than a servo to move the rudder.

Larry
Lnagel, did you really miss his cute pun in there involving Escapement vs Statement Escapes? He telegraphed even even more with the group groan...

I got it... and I still have some escapements that work as well, with my old Ace pulse proportional radio, so the statement did not escape notice...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Even cheaper to solder extension wire onto the existing leads if you want to save money.
I have considered that in this instance, and even done it one a few other models in the past.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
I think you are on to something here. It could change RC as we know it!
You know, foam and balsa can be pretty expensive. I'm working on an idea now, it'll probably take some time, but I'm going to try to patent it.

Instead of using wood (expensive) or foam (not eco-friendly), I'm going to just use a plain old sheet of PAPER! It won't need the electronics or strings so those extra expenses will disappear, and since you can find paper virtually anywhere, it should be something anybody can do!

Why, I bet in a few years we'll even have contests in places like the old blimp hangars. People will set records for duration, distance, and all that kind of stuff!

And best of all, nobody will have to use non-standard servo connectors with little tabs on them!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Lnagel, did you really miss his cute pun in there involving Escapement vs Statement Escapes? He telegraphed even even more with the group groan...

I got it... and I still have some escapements that work as well, with my old Ace pulse proportional radio, so the statement did not escape notice...
Well, to my chagrin, that one escaped my notice and I wasn't even tightly wound up.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Is the glass half empty or half full?.... With those odds, half need them and half don't, so there is just as much reason to not think of a new approach as there is a reason to do so...
That's downright un-American. If everyone thought like that, we'd still live in a world without tooth whitener products or padded toilet seats.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
380 Posts
Here's one for you Andy. I absolutely love my DX6i. I own both a DX6i and a Futaba 6ex. I love the dx6i so much that I've been moving exclusively to dsmx receivers in all of my planes and selling/trading off the Futaba ones as I go. (So if you're wondering why I just don't use my Futaba stuff for my new plane that's why. I'm transitioning away.)

Comparing the DX6i to the 6EX it isn't even close, from price to functionality to build quality the 6EX gets embarrassed by the 6i.

But there are just a few things that make me facepalm..

1. No up-gradable memory?? I mean seriously what the heck? I have to drop another $200 to get a Spektrum transmitter with expandable memory?

2. No throttle hold for airplanes??? Apparently helicopter rotors are dangerous and deserve a throttle hold. But not airplane propellers.

3. Failsafe. I want to know who the first person that thought it would be a good idea to have the failsafe be the stick positions at bind time was. Yes the 6EX can only set failsafe on ch 3, but its a hell of alot more intuitive to set than it is on the dx6i.

4. Satellite receivers instead of simple antenna diversity.

5. Bind process. Futaba has it right here... just press a button.

I don't want to seem too negative here... afterall you do have a great product already. Great enough to make me leave Futaba. These are just a few things that make me wonder.
btown2 is online now Find More Posts by btown2
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:05 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Is the glass half empty or half full?....

Neither. The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

With those odds, half need them and half don't, so there is just as much reason to not think of a new approach as there is a reason to do so...

Those that need them may or may not need a different length from model to model.

That's why I bought a crimper and a passel of connectors and wire.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:47 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
yeah I don't understand why we can't just drop a ford motor in a chevy or vice versa
I'm not sure what you mean by "can't"
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair