HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
362 Posts
Rant
My biggest issue with the hobby.

No standardization of parts.

This is driving me bat crap crazy. Why can't we standardize a few things in this hobby? Why in the year 2013 do I have to physically cut off pieces of my servos to get them to fit into a receiver?

I bought a plane at a swap today. It had Futaba servos installed on it. I got home to find out that my ar600 isnt keyed so if I want to use those servos with it I have to cut off pieces of them. That is just ridiculous.

Please tell me that I can get some sort of converter so that I don't have to damage PERFECTLY GOOD SERVOS.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:19 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post

This is driving me bat crap crazy. Why can't we standardize a few things in this hobby? Why in the year 2013 do I have to physically cut off pieces of my servos to get them to fit into a receiver?

I bought a plane at a swap today. It had Futaba servos installed on it. I got home to find out that my ar600 isnt keyed so if I want to use those servos with it I have to cut off pieces of them. That is just ridiculous.

Please tell me that I can get some sort of converter so that I don't have to damage PERFECTLY GOOD SERVOS.
Sure you can but nobody uses them - we just cut them off.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:25 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Btown do you need a hug.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,463 Posts
If that bothers you that much, buy yourself some universal servo extensions. One end is made to accept a Futaba connector and the other end is universal. In other words it does not have the polarity tab.

Or, you could just cut off the tab on the ones you have. It's not that hard.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:29 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Yea just cut off the tab. My biggest complaint with this hobby is causing me to spend money
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,766 Posts
Wow. When I read 'non-standardization of parts, I thought it would be something like motor ratings. Something complicated like that.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:31 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
"No standardization of parts"?

Ha, good one

Fub is just about the only manufacturer that uses those plugs ("J" plugs), if it makes you feel better. Everyone else uses some variation of the non-keyed JR type. If you really want to complain, go look up the older-style Airtronics servo connectors...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,079 Posts
Everybody else IS standard on servo connectors - it's just that one brand that won't follow the standard.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:33 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
Oh, and you can also just buy the non-keyed connector housings and replace the Futaba ones with them if you REALLY don't want to clip that tiny plastic edge off... The contacts are just held in by little plastic tongues; it takes like two seconds to swap them.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:47 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
If you really want to complain, go look up the older-style Airtronics servo connectors...
Even those can be standardized fairly easily if you know your way around a wire. Futaba is the only manufacturer that still uses the silly keyed design. I suppose it makes it easier for novice modelers to plug things in the right way the first time, so long as the receiver housing is molded to accept J style plugs.

Not a big deal, snip off the key, and plug it in.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post

I truely agree with you, honestly it didn't bothering me but I can see many people gone through a hard way just to put those electroncs together and some choose to gave up. It is the selfish thinking of manufaturer because they want people come back for parts.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Just look at this crap Futaba servo. I'll never buy another one again!
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Mar 2006
450 Posts

Apple has a huge market share with their proprietary i-crap. It doesn't seem to bother most people.
spog is online now Find More Posts by spog
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:22 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,825 Posts
Be happy we don't still have proprietary airtronics plugs.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
iTunes is the bane of my existence.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7