HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:50 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
Discussion
Please help identify this hotliner.

I picked this up at a swap meet. 80" wingspan. Wing and tails appear to be hollow molded balsa. Seller did not know what model this is.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:48 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
182 Posts
Looks like an Avioink, F5B

http://www.icare-rc.com/avionik_b00_10.htm
savneo is online now Find More Posts by savneo
Last edited by savneo; Feb 09, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:42 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
That's it! Thanks Savneo. It looks like I just picked up a brand new $900 airframe for $100.

Hmmm... do I flip it for $700, or build it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:43 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savneo View Post
Looks like an Avioink, F5B

Avionik F5F to be precise. Designed for 10 round cells or 3/4 lipos.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:48 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
I've been feeling the need for speed lately. I've got an HK Rarebear on 4 cells, and an Ultra Funjet. Both pretty fast, but I'm ready for faster.

I was planning to scratch build a Zwoadrittl, ( http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...Funjet-Antrieb ), but I guess that can wait now. (The Zwoad can be built to fly 300 kph for under $300.)

So...I will probably actually build this thing. I know the serious F5F guys are running $400 motors and $400 speed controls, but I don't think I am quite that serious! I'd be open to suggestions for the best bang for the buck setup for a plane like this. Hopefully I can get this going about as fast as a Zwoad for about the same level of investment.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:59 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
It is a great,top quality frame Brian.
But dont expect real speed out of this plane.Wing area is way to big .
For me ,she was more like a DLG with a motor and good thermal ability.
Yuri
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:01 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Nice score!
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
Dbox, I was sort of guessing the same thing. It's a pretty big wing for a pure speed plane. I'm sort of disappointed that it doesn't have a rudder, because it ought to thermal pretty well. There is a fairly large balsa post molded into the vertical stab, and I am thinking I might be able to cut out a rudder myself.

I'd love to find someone who has some experience with this actual model. It was built by a company that specializes in world class competition planes, but it has that big wing. Did people compete with these, or was this intended more as a sport/warmliner version?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
More good luck.

Years ago I bought a 2nd hand electrified version of the Graupner Youngmaster 2.5m sailplane. I never liked flying it much, and it's been sitting around for several years.

Well, it occured to me that the motor in that glider is a Kontronic BL-500/27. This is an older motor that was pretty much designed for 10 cell FAI competition. I would not be surprised at all, if guys who were competing with the Avionik 81" F5B back in the early 2000's, were using this same motor that I just happen to have on hand.

This glider and motor are going to be very happy together, and the best thing is, I already have everything I need on hand to get this plane flying.

The only prop I have on hand is a CAM 14x9.5. The heavy, draggy Youngmaster went almost straight up on that prop with the Kontronic motor on a 4 cell lipo and 50A speed control. The much lighter and cleaner Avionic should perform much better.

I am sure this motor could handle a larger and higher pitched prop, but I'd have to upgrade the speed controller.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
You might be disowned by a few here if you cut the a rudder into the vertical stab of avionic You dont need a rudder to thermal, theres quite a high end DLGs now that have no rudder (have a search, some use backwards aileron differential to get yawing turns)

Looks like a great score, many here would be very jealous of picking up something like that for so little money!

Its NOT a F3S speedcup plane (like a zwoad or something), but will be an awesome warmliner/hotliner. I highly suggest you have a read through the high performance forum, search for F5B & F5F

Its a pretty epic airframe, and to slap it together would be a waste
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:46 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,171 Posts
Brian,

Nice to see you here, i remember you from the slope section.

As jackos wrote, this is a VERY nice ship and is world class top level equipment from a few years ago. The quality has not increased much since then as it was EPIC back then.

This model is what is now called an F5F. Basically F5B but with 36dm^2 total area vs 27dm^2 so a bit more wing area giving better thermal performance and slightly lower speed retention. Currently this class is not flown competatively in the USA or in the UK but there are active competitions going on in Germany and there are Eurotour competitions being flown as well. This model would still be competative so don't trash it on the slope !!!

You do not need a rudder to thermal as all turns should be made with ailerons and elevator anyway. It will circle very nicely like that, no need to over controll it.

Drive wise, that motor is useable and would work well with one of my budget speed controllers (60 euro shipped). You will need a better prop and an appropriate Lipo pack for it.

This may seem like an odd recommendation to some but given the motor and the plane it makes sence. Turnigy Nanotech 6S 1300mah 35C. You can start with 5S if you wish.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_E4_etc_.html

Prop wise, an RFM 16x16 slim with a strait 32mm hub. This is assuming the gearbox is 6.7:1 ratio.

Would give you about 2.2KW on 6S. About 1.5KW on 5S.

KICK ASS PLANE
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:53 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
Thanks Jacko and JJm. I hear what you are saying about the rudder. I'm a long time slope pilot, and I've owned many, many gliders that had no rudder, but I do use rudder on my thermal planes. I guess I'll take your advice and leave it alone. I don't need a lynch mob coming after me.

I must confess that I have been watching the F3Speed threads, but have had little interest in the F5B/F threads, until now. I am beginning to realize what a nice model I've got here, and I am excited about getting it flying.

I've built a couple of hundred airplanes over the years, and I will do a careful build on this special model.
The gearbox on the Kontronic motor is 5.2-1. I am not sure if it is rated for more than 4 cells. I'm still researching, but I have found little information about running this motor on lipos.
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,171 Posts
To give you some idea of the flight performance, watch this video for a similar size plane and the same prop i recommend you. Yours should come in a fair bit lighter.

Ariane V10 F5F (6 min 6 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,171 Posts
Note, you will only get the maximum out of the motor if you get the RPM's up. Please do not try to fly it with low cell counts and big props.

Check what battery space you have available, this plane was made for 10 Sub Cells that where 22-23mm in diameter so i guess the pack i recommended to you may not fit. You can however put in 3S+3S behind each other. Those cells will be perfectly happy for the 3-4 seconds you will have the motor on for each climb.

You could go crazy and get a little bit more capacity if you wanted to.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Bigger is not needed as it would only serve to cook the motor.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:55 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
That Ariene flies just like a fast glider on a good slope! Now that I am living in pan flat Florida, my new Avionik should allow me to carve some big air again.

The battery bay on the Avionik is only deep enough for 4 cells, but it is long enough to go 3x2 or 3x3 end to end.