HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:57 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,996 Posts
Rave
Success! Park Zone P-47 using PZ 480 (960Kv) & GWS 4-Blade!

Hello again good people!

I just came from the smooth concrete surface that we all affectionately call EDWARDS and like to say that I am a true believer of Weight Reduction when it is possible!!!

Over in the regular Park Zone P-47 Thread @ Electric Warbirds there has been some doubts of the application of the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Brushless motor to power the P-47 Thunderbolt and like to say, it performed flawlessly and with less AMP (Current Draw). Of course at lower RPMs therefore, it cut down top end speed but, I am not in this hobby to HOT ROD nor see any of my models pass you by and guess what it looked like or exactly what model did pass you by.

For installation (modifications) to allow the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) on the Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt then, please visit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827219

Flight Summary

1. The Top Speed was observed into a stiff head wind of approximately 6-MPH and increasing as the morning got old. I would estimate (You can see for yourselves in the Video) approximately 45- 50 MPH.

2. The model felt really light on the controls and it flew exactly where I pointed it without any compensation, especially roll maneuvers. The Vertical is very good (Slow but, powerful) and most importantly for me, Scale.

3. The model landed like a true Scale model and touched down with cross-wind and did so on one Main Gear first without any hint of nosing over!

4. Battery still measured 12.03 Volts after the ~ 3 minute flight!!

Summary: I will keep this model with the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) from now on! Of course it maybe not for everyone but, I am certainly happy with the results and glad I accepted the challenge from the NAY SAYERS!!!

Here is the Video (Unedited): (PLEASE SELECT 1080P and FULL SCREEN!!!! )
Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt with Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Brushless motor Maiden Flight 02-09-2013 (3 min 21 sec)

A few pictures of my Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt using the smaller Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Brushless motor while swinging the GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 propeller and of course the T-28 Prop adapter.

Prior to Touch Down!

Post Landing and Taxi back to the Owner!

Considering that the Battery came out and still measured 12.03 Volts after the ~ 3 minute flight, yes, Longer Flight Times!

Additionally, this type of model usually is not in the category for Park Flying at this location but, it has exhibited a "TRUE PARK FLYER" quality such that it will see this flying location much more frequently.

I was truly amazed and pleased to see the landing as it just floated above the Smooth Concrete surface in the most scale like manner. I always thought that the nose overs were caused from just too much weight UP FRONT and I am now a true believer of the 480!

I am going to remove the Park Zone 15 from my Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX, NEXT!

Uploaded a fresh Video (Edited) to provide Credit to those that made this Video possible.

This time it was uploaded at the VIMEO site!!!

Enjoy!

Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt Maiden with the PZ 480 Motor 02-09-2013 (4 min 16 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:41 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,010 Posts
The prop looks awesome!
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24