HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:13 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2013
435 Posts
Discussion
BH Blitzrcworks Star Trainer

Hi everyone. There is not much out there on this plane as far as reviews go so I thought I'd add my 2 cents on it.
After a 25 years hiatus from the hobby I decided to get back into it. After purchasing a 1450mm T-28 and promptly becoming a bit intimidated by it I decided to leave it on the table for a few and get a trainer to ease back into the sport.
I ordered the Blitz RC Star Trainer because I liked the convertible aspect (Both high wing and low wing, tail dragger and tricycle gear configurations).
I flew extensively for 5 or 6 years previously everything from Telemasters to giant scale gas planes and considered myself an advanced flyer at the time but like I said that was 25 years ago. Everything was glow powered back then.
The assembly was straight forward and the manual was fairly well written and helpful. No gluing was a nice touch in my opinion and everything went together very well. I opted for the high wing tail dragger configuration as the wide main gear stance and oversize main gear wheels added confidence for grass field operation. This is also a fairly large plane and easy for old eyes to see!
Took the plane to a local school yard late the other evening and maiden it. This plane is a very nice flyer in this configuration. It took off in about 15-20 feet and climbed out nicely at about 3/4 throttle. The only trimming i had to do was about 2 clicks of down elevator to maintain level flight at 3/4 throttle. The plane rights itself quickly at release of the sticks which I believe is important for a trainer. It handled rolls and loops nicely and is capable of the normal basic aerobatics. My timer went off at 6 minutes and I set up to land her..
There was a little wind and the plane exhibited no nasty habits.It slows nicely and I managed to set it down on all 3 at a very nice slow approach speed. With the optional flaps connected I believe you could land it at walking speed just like my old Telemaster. The second flight was very nice as well. Nice little adrenalin pump even from a trainer. Now I remember why I loved this sport so much earlier in my life! I learned one thing. I need more batteries! LOL
In conclusion I am very pleased with this plane and am excited to try the low wing configurations. I am also going to hook up the flaps. I feel that this would be an excellent aileron trainer for anyone that is looking for a good trainer with a little growth capability built into it for advancing skills.

http://www.bananahobby.com/blue-star...1703-prd1.html
RKevinEstes is offline Find More Posts by RKevinEstes
Last edited by RKevinEstes; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:38 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,165 Posts
I went for the Giant J-3 cub 1400mm from them that had same motor & esc as the star trainer. It was a good looking plane, but flew like it had a brick inside of it! very under powered IMO. yes the no gluing was a nice touch, made it easier for me to take it apart and get it back in the box & on ebay! I started to go for the star trainer, wish I would have now.... I cut my teeth on a GWS slow stick, and from there got into 3D profile planes & now flying wings from crashtesthobby.com. the Assassin is a blast to fly! ck them out.
Happy Flying
tupeloflyer is online now Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
507 Posts
I also have one of these and flown in all configurations. Prefer the low wing tri axle as she performs nice aerobatics. She flys just great with plenty of power in the high wing tail dragger for real short take offs. Have fitted flaps which slows her down on landings but not really needed. My only gripe are the cheap servos. Have replaced three, ailerons of which one developed a twitch and the rudder/steering which stripped out. Overall though a great plane. I see BH have sold out the blue ones already.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
28 Posts
Thanks for the review! Like you, I've been out of RC flying for a long time, and got mine just before Christmas. The only problem I had was with the elevator servo - when I powered up the plane, the servo cranked over 90 degrees and locked up. It took almost 6 weeks for BH to send me a replacement. Now that it's flyable, we had a blizzard, so I'll have to wait a bit to maiden her. I also opted for the highwing taildragger setup to start off with, since I don't have access to a paved strip. I hope mine flies as easily as yours did - hoping for a nice confidence boost and lots of stick time. Was the CG specified in the manual accurate? I'll be using a 3S 2200, and the way mine balances out it's ever-so-slightly nose heavy, so I'm hoping that's what's required for a nice glide slope.
flyingfish31 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfish31
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
435 Posts
I used the same battery and the recommended CG was just fine. Welcome back and I hope that you find some good weather soon!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
28 Posts
RK - I re-read your original post and saw that you have the T-28, but it's "on hold" for a while. Similar situation here as well - picked up the 1100mm A-1 Skyraider. It's so pretty, I don't want to fly it! LMAO! It will sit for a while until I progress with the different variations on the Star Trainer. Thanks for the confirmation on the CG. Happy Landings!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
435 Posts
I took the plane out again today to the local Metro Parks flying field after installing the flaps, a video camera, and a receiver for my new Spektrum DX6i. Checked everything over thoroughly and proceeded to take off with my ailerons reversed! Luckily I was able to get back down without turning the plane into a kit again! Dumb luck.
The rest of the flights were nice and uneventful. Nice plane!

Idiot flying with ailerons reversed! (1 min 41 sec)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
13 Posts
Hey guys its been awhile since ive posted on here. I had been flying and modifying my hz mini super cub for almost three years and could fly with the best of them until the plane decided to snap in half mid flight last summer because of the gs? I don't know really what happened but at any rate i have purchased this plane and it will be here in 5 days and i cant wait for the build! I just wanted to ask any of you if you have had any issues with the stock landing gear for bush landings? I tend to fly my planes out of my strip of gravel an rough grass next to my house and i have snapped quite a few landing gear since i have first started flying rc in these conditions. Also currently in Ohio were being hammered with snow and ice and i would like to get a nice set of skis for the snow and winter months. What skis an possibly bush type wheels should i get for this plane to turn it into a heavy duty off runway bush plane?
sc10pc is offline Find More Posts by sc10pc
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:44 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
507 Posts
I think you will find the tail dragger set up will take off and land on almost anything. Certainly in high wing it only needs a few metres before its airborne. The foam wheels probably won't last long though. I fly from a pretty rough grass strip with no problems. The tri configeration is also pretty robust although I have had to beef up the plastic nose wheel mount as this has started to crack as well as replace the servo with metal gears. I have taken off the front wheel skirt as they kept coming off on landing. Thought I'd trim some off the bottom front of the skirt but can't as the plastic clipon prevents this. Looks OK with no skirt.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
13 Posts
Ok thank you do you happen to have any recommendations for skis?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Jan 2013
435 Posts
For skis. These should work nicely.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWH30&P=FR
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
13 Posts
OK i will be purchasing those then. Thank you
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
28 Posts
Hey guys! I finally got to maiden my StarTrainer today in the taildragger hi-wing config. Ran 4 batteries thru it...4 flights, 4 controlled landings. AWESOME! I limited my flight times to 5 minutes each, and still had plenty of juice left in the batteries. Just did some circles around the field, both directions, to get the feel of things. Flies nice and easy, no surprises. Trimmed it for straight and level @ a little over half throttle, and it didn't need much trim at all, just a tad of down elevator. Guess that tells me I used too much throttle? Next outing, I'll reduce throttle a little further, adjust the trim accordingly, and fly a little longer. Since I'm new to elec flight, I have a lot of learning to do with respect to throttle management and flight times, so I'll be doing lots of experimenting as I accumulate stick time.

I noticed at around the 5 minute mark that it started slowing down a little...typical, I guess, as the battery voltage drops off a little? That's why I brought it in, rather than push my luck - especially on maiden day. What kind of flight times do you all get?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
435 Posts
Glad you like the plane! It is a very forgiving flier but has nice roll rates and rudder authority if you increase the throws by moving the clevis in on the servo horns.
I am using 2200 MAH 3s batteries and getting about 7 minutes without over discharging them. Mixed throttle. Mostly 1/2 or less though. I know this plane isn't in the "Best first plane fan club" but it's a nice plane with built in room to grow with you as your skills increase.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
57 Posts
I have one on order. What is the larger tire size? I'd like to order some aftermarket tires to replace the originals.
Stoneke is offline Find More Posts by Stoneke