HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:02 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Definitely cool. Have you tried flying your RC plane from your paraglider? Probably impossible but would be fun.
Yeah impossible. My hands are too busy. A powered paraglider is steered by a line that goes up to the trailing edge of the wing on each side. Pulling down the aft edge of the wing (brakes) makes it turn that direction. I have brake toggle in each hand.and also have the throttle strapped to the left hand.

Now if I could figure out how to fly my RC plane with my teeth...

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:47 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
Yeah impossible. My hands are too busy. A powered paraglider is steered by a line that goes up to the trailing edge of the wing on each side. Pulling down the aft edge of the wing (brakes) makes it turn that direction. I have brake toggle in each hand.and also have the throttle strapped to the left hand.

Now if I could figure out how to fly my RC plane with my teeth...

Mike
You need a really small TX
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
You need a really small TX
I think my flying buddies would be a little concerned if I tried that. Plus since my butt's on the line I should be paying a little closer attention to what I'm doing.

When I first started flying I took my Canon Powershot camera up with me to take pictures and video. I would release the right brake toggle and clip it to it's magnet and grab the camera out of my waist pack. Now I use a GoPro on a chest mount which also allows me to video the entire flight.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:46 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
942 Posts
Can I chirp in on some electric jargon.

A BEC is a "battery ELIMINATOR circuit" which will be included within an ESC on an electric powered plane. It takes away the need to have a separate battery running the Rx and servos by taking power from the flight batteries and reducing it to below 6v and feeding that voltage into the Rx via the throttle lead.

If you are putting a battery in to run your Rx and servos/and or ignition you use a regulator to regulate the power to these things not a BEC. How can it be a BEC when in fact you are introducing a battery not eliminating one.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:06 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post

A BEC is a "battery ELIMINATOR circuit" which will be included within an ESC on an electric powered plane. It takes away the need to have a separate battery running the Rx and servos by taking power from the flight batteries and reducing it to below 6v and feeding that voltage into the Rx via the throttle lead.

If you are putting a battery in to run your Rx and servos/and or ignition you use a regulator to regulate the power to these things not a BEC. How can it be a BEC when in fact you are introducing a battery not eliminating one.
Unless an absolute newbie - most here would understand what a BEC is.

But here is where you go of the rails .... A BEC can be worth fitting when using a Rx power source ... it allows you to use a battery pack of higher voltage such as a LiPo .. which is lighter than a similar capability NiMh pack.... carrying greater mAh.
The term BEC really is a misnomer ... as a BEC is really reducing a power source down to acceptable voltage for item. It only elminates an 'extra battery' if it is incorporated into the ESC. I use BEC's with separate battery on some ... as described above.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:13 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Unless an absolute newbie - most here would understand what a BEC is.

But here is where you go of the rails .... A BEC can be worth fitting when using a Rx power source ... it allows you to use a battery pack of higher voltage such as a LiPo .. which is lighter than a similar capability NiMh pack.... carrying greater mAh.
The term BEC really is a misnomer ... as a BEC is really reducing a power source down to acceptable voltage for item. It only elminates an 'extra battery' if it is incorporated into the ESC. I use BEC's with separate battery on some ... as described above.

Nigel
We will beg to differ and let's leave it there and not hijack the thread.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,580 Posts
Quote:
We will beg to differ and let's leave it there and not hijack the thread.
Differ ? You are not wrong - just missed the advantage of using one. The BEC is in fact a type of Voltage regulator - if not then it would not be able to do it's job.

I'm probably the only one stupid enough to point it out to you - others probably just ignoring it as another E-pilots comment. iven your reply to my post - I now wonder why you posted the original comment ...

Not trying to be rude ... no insult intended ... but putting forward a valid use that is utlised by many.

Nigel
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,386 Posts
If you take a voltage regulator and wire it to the main high voltage flight battery so that you are only using one battery for both motor and RX then isn't it a BEC?
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:

If that's the case, why don't people just put the right voltage battery in their IC planes to begin with, eliminating the regulator? The it would be a REB, a regulator eliminating battery . But seriously, why put in a battery with too high voltage necessitating installing a regulator?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,386 Posts
Because some people like to use Lipo batteries rather than the older heavier NMXX batteries. Personally I like the LiFe batteries without a regulator.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
Because some people like to use Lipo batteries rather than the older heavier NMXX batteries. Personally I like the LiFe batteries without a regulator.
Ah, makes sense. I flew 5 years ago shortly and stopped til now.

At that time, I bought 43 Dewalt cells. A123s seem to be out of vogue now but I am glad I have those for big planes.

Course now I am getting interested in gas...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:47 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
If that's the case, why don't people just put the right voltage battery in their IC planes to begin with, eliminating the regulator? The it would be a REB, a regulator eliminating battery . But seriously, why put in a battery with too high voltage necessitating installing a regulator?
I suppose we might have asked 2 years ago why do manufacturers make equipment which needs to have the power of the batteries reduced. We now do have servos which will run off high voltages. I have used LiFe batteries as suggested by Bob600 and many of my friends use them as Rx batteries. IMHO it is a bit of a gamble as a fully charged LiFe, allowing for a bit of decay, will put 7 volts into the system. Until I can afford to use high voltage servos I think I will stick to using what I know works for me. I can crash well enough using my dumb old thumbs without worrying about equipment failure. (Yes, I know it might fail anyway!)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,386 Posts
Quote:
IMHO it is a bit of a gamble as a fully charged LiFe, allowing for a bit of decay, will put 7 volts into the system. Until I can afford to use high voltage servos I think I will stick to using what I know works for me. I can crash well enough using my dumb old thumbs without worrying about equipment failure. (Yes, I know it might fail anyway!)
I use the LiFe as an RX battery with 6v servos. After charging and allowed to sit for a little while the fully charged voltage is less than a 5cell NIMH battery which is often used as an RX battery without a regulator. So unless you believe it is risky to use a 5cell NIMH without a regulator there is no worry with any good servos rated at 6v.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:08 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
If you take a voltage regulator and wire it to the main high voltage flight battery so that you are only using one battery for both motor and RX then isn't it a BEC?
You are right, a BEC is a regulator. However so one is not misunderstood, the point I want to make is that a BEC uses the flight batteries. It eliminates the need for a separate battery to run the Rx etc. If one uses the term BEC to describe a system which does not use the flight batteries but uses a separate battery it is misleading. One can use an external BEC as a regulator by running it off a separate battery. I have no problem with this and I have used the CC Pro (which is a switching regulator) in this role but so people will understand what I am talking about, I will refer to it as a regulator.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:40 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,580 Posts
Quote:
Weight me ol'fruit !

You can have a significant increase in capacity with a LiPo vs a NiMH
.... also you can look at it terms of Watts available ... higher voltage x aH = greater wattage per weight.

Personally I use NiMH 4 cell packs direct - but I also have LiPo's of same weight but much higher capacity that I can use via external BEC.

Nigel