HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:59 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,560 Posts
Enya was promoting a glow plug to use with gasoline. IIRC, you were to use their "special" oil in conjunction with their glow plug. I have no idea how it worked out.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:10 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
About 10cc of gas will give about 6 pounds of thrust. So figure out how many pounds of thrust you want. 20cc DLE will give about 12 pounds of thrust, and 30cc DLE will put out about 18 pounds of thrust.

There are many ARFS that have enough wing to carry a gas engine. Many 90 size planes, up to 27% planes.

I'm just about to try a DLE 30cc on a SeaGull 70 inch Sparrow hawk. 18 pounds of thrust on an 11 pound plane. Should sound wonderful, also.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:38 AM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsmandan View Post
I just started flying with a DLE 20cc gas engine (love it ) but I hate the burnt oil on the plane. Does anyone know a good product or home remedy solution that will take the burnt oil off the plane. Thanks
This is a fact to have in the poll!

TF
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:04 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
My DLE 30 puts out 20 1/2 lbs of static thrust
She has a frank bowman ring, single bolt conversion running and APC 18/6W at 9000 rpm
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:14 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
Although they are making 10cc gas engines, these put out too little thrust for the planes I would like to fly (only 6lbs of thrust).

I think that the 20cc gas engines are a good "small" size. But they do have a lot of vibration, so need a chunky fuselage. Many planes of 90 size and up will carry a 20cc engine. 65" wingspan and up. The 70 inch planes (such as the Rascal, or Goldwing aerobatic models) are commonly flown with 20 - 40 cc gas engines. The DLE 20cc is light enough to sometimes require extra nose weight for the "smaller" gas planes.

DLE engines put out about 6 lbs of thrust per 10cc of displacement. So figure out how much thrust you want, and look for a displacement that you can live with.

For me, vibration is the biggest challenge. I can put a 2.9 HP electric system on a 55 inch 5.5lb aerobatic plane, and get 12+ pounds of thrust (without shaking the plane apart). But I could never get that sort of raw power on that size plane with a liquid fuel engine.

Get an electric starter, if you're going to go gas. The Hobby People, magnum geared starter is rated up to 30 cc, and runs off 12v batteries. Will save you hours of @#$%???!?!?!?! and six packs on your starter arm.

For the sound, I like 20cc as the smallest. 30cc sounds even better. But with the 20 cc you start to get that hot rod barking when you hit the throttle. WWJFly?
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:49 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post

For me, vibration is the biggest challenge. I can put a 2.9 HP electric system on a 55 inch 5.5lb aerobatic plane, and get 12+ pounds of thrust (without shaking the plane apart). But I could never get that sort of raw power on that size plane with a liquid fuel engine.
Vibration was one of the reasons I downsized from my DL50 powered 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker to an electric powered Sig Astro Hog. That and the noise level of the DL50, which I found I couldn't fly at my new field. The vibration on my SW was so bad I was constantly breaking tail brace wires. I was considering this 10cc gas but was concerned about noise level. The info I got from HH on dB level told me it was going to be close. I'd hate to build a new airplane and then find I out I can't fly it so I went with electric.

Mike
MikeCr is online now Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:30 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
My biggest problem with electrics on a large plane is the cost of batteries. A battery for a a leccy that has the power of a 30 ccer is going to cost 200 dollars
Now to be able to fly for any amount of time your going to need at least 4 batteries.
Also electrics run alot hotter so they have to cool bettewn flights. also flight times are alot less.
on my MX I can fly for 30 minutes on a tank
Here's a link to my little MX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4neuVcCXHPg
BTW nitro planes has this plane for 239 dollars
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:50 AM
Joined Mar 2006
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
My biggest problem with electrics on a large plane is the cost of batteries. A battery for a a leccy that has the power of a 30 ccer is going to cost 200 dollars
Now to be able to fly for any amount of time your going to need at least 4 batteries.
Also electrics run alot hotter so they have to cool bettewn flights. also flight times are alot less.
on my MX I can fly for 30 minutes on a tank
Here's a link to my little MX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4neuVcCXHPg
BTW nitro planes has this plane for 239 dollars
Batteries for a plane that size don't cost $200 unless you buy them from the LHS. I try to buy as much as I can from the LHS but not batteries. You don't need 4 batteries because modern chargers can parallel charge at up to 5C. Neither the motors or the batteries get HOT if they're sized right. Flight times, yeah. I could get 30 minutes with my Spacewalker.

To each his own, it's all good. But if I had known then what I know now I wouldn't have built the 1/3 scale Spacewalker gasser, it would have been the 1/4 scale Spacewalker electric. I really took a bath on the airplane when I sold it. And I found out my old RC club is also putting on noise limits so I would have had a problem there as well.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:15 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Can you give me a link for an 8s 5000 battery pack.
I've got a yak I would go electric if I could get it set up for less than a DLE 30
Big greeen (4 min 45 sec)

This is me flying my DLE 30 MX I fly this plane for 15 minutes at a time but can get 30 out of it and not have to worry about throttle managment.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:43 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Now this is a decent battery pack that should last for awhile. Of course you got to times it by 2 for 30 cc power
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/5000mah_4...36092_prd1.htm
Thats 270 dollars
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:25 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,336 Posts
What size does gasoline engine become practical ?

That needs two separate sections ...

a) Size / weight ............. because of it's style / format - then it needs a medium size model and up to be abkle to justify the size / weight penalties. Small Glow engines beat it hands down in the small size models.

b) Running costs ............. this then falls to location more than anything else. For example myself in Latvia .......... at near $50 a time for 4litres of Glow Fuel .... a gasoline engine at $1.30 a litre becomes extremely attractive in ALL sizes ! A common 3S 2200 LiPo at $35 a pop ............ gasoline again.

Thank the stars - there are online sellers who can sell me LiPo's at better prices !! But in larger models - gasoline.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:35 AM
Joined Mar 2006
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Now this is a decent battery pack that should last for awhile. Of course you got to times it by 2 for 30 cc power
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/5000mah_4...36092_prd1.htm
Thats 270 dollars
You can't use HL as a comparison. Their batteries are so high they're in orbit! You can get a comparable battery for half that or less from other sources.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:48 AM
Joined Mar 2006
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
But in larger models - gasoline.

Nigel
I agree that in very large models gas (or petrol for the Brits) is the way to go. And as far as cost per flight gas also wins, followed by electric with glow being the most expensive to operate. But you also have to add in all the other costs, monetary or otherwise. With electric most of your power problems go away. Vibration, constant tuning, fuels and tanks needing attention, glow or spark plugs causing problems, noise, odor, heat, etc. That being said I have to say, I really love engines. They fascinate me. I just don't want one on my airplane unless it would be a 1/3 scale or larger.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:11 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
I've a flying buddy who had been doing electric exclusively for the last two years but recently came back to gas with two planes, saying he simply missed the sound.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:06 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
I've a flying buddy who had been doing electric exclusively for the last two years but recently came back to gas with two planes, saying he simply missed the sound.
I can agree with that ...... and the smell !!

One point that I don't agree with ... so many moan about 'tuning' wet-fuel engines. Why ? Once set-up properly - a wet-fuel engine should not need so much fiddling and tuning. Only if you are tuning it to the finest level and then you are pushing life of motor anyway.
Until recently - I flew only wet-fuel models small to moderately large ......... an odd tweak on needle or screw just to stop a bit of smoke or slight knock etc. - but never fiddling. If I found I had to fiddle with an engines tuning - then I knew something was definitely wrong.

I flew pattern, scale, sport, display, club, pylon, etc. and never found this need to fiddle with the engine !

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife