HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:44 PM
dru
San Diego Calif.
Joined Jul 2002
170 Posts
Cool
Brushless motor and single conversion Rx

I tried to search on this but only got info on brushed motors.

Do brushless motors put out any more or less RF noise compared to a brushed motor? I would like to know because I am going to return a couple of my Christmas prizes on Monday and get my first brushless motor and ESC. It will be going in my 27 inch foamie Edge with a single conv Rx and am a little worried about doing a figure 9 landing because of lock out.

Thanks.

Dru.
dru is offline Find More Posts by dru
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:44 PM
dru
San Diego Calif.
Joined Jul 2002
170 Posts
Brushless motor and single conversion Rx

I tried to search on this but only got info on brushed motors.

Do brushless motors put out any more or less RF noise compared to a brushed motor? I would like to know because I am going to return a couple of my Christmas prizes on Monday and get my first brushless motor and ESC. It will be going in my 27 inch foamie Edge with a single conv Rx and am a little worried about doing a figure 9 landing because of lock out.

Thanks.

Dru.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:19 PM
Redmond, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
750 Posts
Traditional wisdom says the brushes and commutators on a brushed motor put out a lot of RFI. I've found I needed to create a rough simulation of a Faraday cage on brushless planes with long leads to the motor and/or long servo leads (e.g., EDFs) by wrapping the wires in Al foil--doubled the range-check distances with the motor on.

Steve Guty
sguty is offline Find More Posts by sguty
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:14 AM
The bits & pieces hobby
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2003
3,009 Posts
It has been my experience there is far less RF created in brushless set-ups. No brushes means no sparks, a large source of electrical noise. I am running JR600 rx, Berg 5DSP rx and Hi-Tech Electron 6 rx in my planes and I have NEVER had any glitching or subsequent electrical noise. In all cases I am using Castle Creations Pheonix controllers.

I think your safe - Mark
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PopWing 1300 FPV Wing
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:25 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I run single conversion all the time on my brushless motors with no problem! The motor is not the problem but you can get glitches from outside interference that a dual conversion might filter out. I've had a few hits generally without carnage. However it was while I was flying in a area under construction with a lot of 2 way radios in use.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Dec 28, 2003, 03:17 AM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,567 Posts
I run brushless motors and single conversion receivers without problems too.

"Single conversion" does not mean "low quality", there are better and not so good single conversion receivers too.
I have Jeti Rex5+ and Schulze single conversion receivers. I did a range check test with the ACT SmartScan double conversion receiver and the above two.
I found the Schulze to be the best, useful distance in the percentage of the Schulze: ACT 70%, Rex5 30%

(It was a simple test, the 3 receivers are switched on same time, servos on the outputs. One guy is observing the servos, the other is walking away with a closed antenna transmitter. Range is ok if it is possible to control the servos, and errenous movements are not too high...)
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old Dec 28, 2003, 06:41 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Less, as posted, but depending on the particular Rx and where you fly, I would consider returning your SC receiver and get a dual conversion, or at least a good DSP Rx (i.e. Berg), instead..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 28, 2003, 08:01 AM
Go Leafs Go!
Georgetown,ON,Canada
Joined Jan 2002
258 Posts
I am using a GWS Naro receiver (single conversion) on a Formosa with a Mpjet brushless motor. I have never had a glitch and I sometimes let it get pretty far away too. It's so fast that it's hard not too.
Fantam is offline Find More Posts by Fantam
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:50 AM
dru
San Diego Calif.
Joined Jul 2002
170 Posts
I have 3 Cirrus MXR4's, 1 Dymond micro Rx, 2 Hitec Feathers. Where I fly is out in the middle of no where. I am about 70 miles east of San Diego so I have only 1 neighbor. I fly my glow planes without a glitch. They all have dual Rx's. The 4 Electron 6 Rx's I have have work very well.

I don't worry to much about a glitch when I have a $15.00 motor gear box on the nose. It is that I am now flying with a $100 brushless motor ESC combo and I am not made of money.

As money and time make it possable I am going to start to replace the Single conv Rx's with dual ones.

Dru.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 05:35 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,346 Posts
I use Berg-5 rx's with my BL motors and have never had a glitch.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck