HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by wmcneal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:19 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Discussion
Rebuilt Vintage Original Carl Goldberg Sky Tiger

I originally built this model in 1984 while attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. It was my go to plane for many years, with at least a thousand flights on it by my estimation. Over the years It flew with 3 different nitro engines, a K&B .40, a K&B .61, and a Saito .50 4 stroke.
It suffered a major wreck in 1998 when the front wing retaining dowels ripped out of the wing while I was practicing my rolling circles. The wreck remained mostly untouched until last year when I decided to rebuild it and convert it to electric power.

I elected to return it to the original (rubber band wing attachment) configuration for the rebuild since the leading edge pegs were obviously not suitable.
The windshield was smashed and no replacement was available so I just rebuilt that part with balsa and and simulated windows with trim sheet. The entire right side of the fuselage from the wing forward had to be replaced and the entire wing and fuselage recovered. It was originally white with blue stripes, so I now made it blue with White stripes (and a lightning bolt on the tail).

I installed a Power .40 electric motor from leaderhobby.com with a 11x7.5 wooden prop. It has a Hurc 80amp esc from headsuprc.com and power comes from a 4s 4000mah Lipo pack from valuehobby.com.

There was no one available to take flight pictures when I flew it for the first time in 24 years, but it flew as good as I remembered with an estimated top speed around 65mph. As soon as someone can take some inflight pictures for me I will post them here.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
to remove ads between posts