SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:36 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
ValueHobby.com

Well, still waiting for HobbyKing to respond to my "ticket". I anticipate that they will have me return the lipos (on my dime) and then will refund the cost of the lipos (but not shipping). That is all I really expect. But this is really not about HK's customer service. It is about the product.

On another note, I ordered some other these batteries from ValueHobby. I received them today. Low and behold, they actually weigh what is stated in the specs.

Actually, my scale locks them in at 165grams. The specs say 166.5. However, they are offered with either t-plugs or ec3 (your choice). I ordered them with T's, but I will be crimping on APPs after the first charge. They are on the charger now. As long as they balance, and last for a season or two, I will try out the other sizes and voltages. I have been a customer of VH for a while...just never tried there batts.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:53 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRookie View Post
So you are saying that HK's nano-tech batteries are also junk?

What seems to be your problem with them?

I would think that if everyone were having problems with nano-tech batteries, we would hear more about it. Is everyone having problems, or did one person have a problem, and the rest of you are parroting his problems as yours?

Greg
Myself, two members at my field, and 2 member on this forum who fly helis all had problems with Nano techs prematurely puffing and failing.
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Well, still waiting for HobbyKing to respond to my "ticket". I anticipate that they will have me return the lipos (on my dime) and then will refund the cost of the lipos (but not shipping). That is all I really expect. But this is really not about HK's customer service. It is about the product.

On another note, I ordered some other these batteries from ValueHobby. I received them today. Low and behold, they actually weigh what is stated in the specs.

Actually, my scale locks them in at 165grams. The specs say 166.5. However, they are offered with either t-plugs or ec3 (your choice). I ordered them with T's, but I will be crimping on APPs after the first charge. They are on the charger now. As long as they balance, and last for a season or two, I will try out the other sizes and voltages. I have been a customer of VH for a while...just never tried there batts.
Those packs seem similar to the epbuddy.com batteries (Glacier packs). Those are great packs too and USA shipping. Myself and two other forum members have also tried BeastDna packs too from ebay. Shipping is slow but well worth it..
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:28 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,026 Posts
Every field I go to that has a "lipo can" you will find more Zippy packs than anything else in those cans. If you buy cheap, you are going to buy twice.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Dec 2011
156 Posts
What about turnigy a-spec? Are they any better?
powdermnky007 is offline Find More Posts by powdermnky007
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
Every field I go to that has a "lipo can" you will find more Zippy packs than anything else in those cans. If you buy cheap, you are going to buy twice.
Are you ? I can buy a Zippy or HK LiPo for say $15 .... plus shipping ... lets say $20. Checking around .. I find my "recc'd" alternatives are minimum $50 for same rating ...

This means that I can buy 2x and still spend less.

Second - if there are more of one brand than others .. and lets be honest, overall I bet HK LiPo's far outnumber any other brand / label out there - the law of averages will say there will be more of them in trash can.

Bit like saying Fords are unsafe because they have more accidents than Rolls Royce .. ignoring the fact that there are far more Fords on the road.

It's fine if you live in USA and have access to budget suppliers with cheap shipping costs ... but not everyone lives in USA. Many of us live where costs are way out of whack.

I would also suggest that many of the recc'd packs are probably from same or similar sources ... know that the shop that went bankrupt recently in my region was selling rebranded LiPo's at 3x the price available from chinese suppliers.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,528 Posts
Quote:
Might just be statistics - more zippy packs sold more zippy packs gone bad
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,026 Posts
Have fun with that..... I would rather purchase once, and know I will get 300+ cycles out of a pack and the pack will not drop off in performance after 20 cycles.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2012
8,528 Posts
Quote:
Have fun with that..... I would rather purchase once, and know I will get 300+ cycles out of a pack and the pack will not drop off in performance after 20 cycles.
I have HK nanotech 180s and 300s for my umx planes. I also have eflite and thunder power and Hyperion.

Nanotech 2/10 <-- inconsistent and crap. C rating grossly overstated. Low life cycle. But, cheap!
Eflite 5/10 <-- consistent, but don't have a very good life cycle. C rating seems ok at first
Hyperion / thunder power <--- charge at 10c for hundred of cycles. For the first few cycles, they get better! but, expensive.

So it seems to me if I like flying, and I buy the HK nanotechs, I'll come out on the short end because I have to buy batteries much more frequently and pay the slow boat from china lots of money to get them here. My lhs carries all the other brands and rcbabbel here on rcg makes some fantastic custom lightened Hyperion packs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:33 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
I changed to AGA power lipos..
Done puffing my edf packs.

found them on :
www.onthegohobbies.com
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:58 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2012
292 Posts
Re: Zippy's - I did some testing and I am pretty confident, based on the identical size/weight of a few of the "Compact" models I purchased for my 500, that Zippy has a few models that it builds as high-C rating, and for the cells that test out to higher internal resistance, it bundles those cells in packs identical to the high-C rated ones, makes it a lower C, and higher capacity. The 3700 20C pack was identical in every way shape and form to the 3300 35C pack that I purchased. Doing a discharge test, I got nearly the same overall capacity (0.5A discharge rate).

I've sinced discovered the beauty of reputable dealers and have been getting much of my equipment from Gary at BuddyRC. I'm having good luck with his Glacier line so far.
tungsten2k is offline Find More Posts by tungsten2k
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:39 PM
Joined May 2012
8,528 Posts
Another vote for Glacier. Fantastic, underrated batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2014, 03:02 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
454 Posts
Revolectrix is cheap and good in my experience. Nanotech are prone to puffing, i got better experience with turnigy blue and zippy.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Mar 08, 2014, 04:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Addlestone
Joined May 2012
628 Posts
I thought I'd share my experiences so far.. I Bought 8 Nanotech x 5000mah 4s packs.. they arrived way out of balance and took for ever to get balanced. 1 Died after about 8 cycles with a cell going dead for no reason.. the rest have been totally inconsistent and giving ever decreasing flight times and several have signs of puffing , even though they get a very gentle treatment... 2 of them I wont even use now as they set of the Lipo alarm within about 30 seconds of take off even though they show close to full charged and balanced.. So i believe they are complete JUNK.!.
After that i thought id try Zippys.. So bought a couple to try out..8000Mah 4s.. Wow.! They arrived bang on balanced.. Charged up and balanced like clockwork with both chargers shutting off within about 2 mins of each other.. Good start I thought.. They then went on to be flawless so far giving consistent flight times. charging up like they are conjoined twins and performing as such too..
I then bought 8x Zippy 6S 5000s for my big hexa and they arrived bang on balanced too. and Im talking less than 0.1 volts difference between all 48 cells.! They have only had maybe 20 cycles each so far but have all behaved better than i could hope for.. So i think they are great value..
Also i thought I'd mention GensAce.. Ive got several sized 3s packs for running my smaller quads and FPV screens and Gimbals etc.. they get Hammered over and over, im talking Abused especially on the small quads and they just come back time and time again.
Yet 2 Nanocrap 3S packs I had died after very little abuse on the small quads..
HexaFlexa is offline Find More Posts by HexaFlexa
Old Mar 08, 2014, 07:55 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
732 Posts
Since I first posted in this thread a little over a year ago I now have about 20 of the Zippy Compacts. They have all come out of the pack balanced within .01v per cell. My 4 oldest Zippy's are now approximately 2 years old with somewhere around 80 to 100 cycles. The IR numbers came down and settled in after about 15 cycles and remain consistant today. I tend to be relatively easy on my packs and cell voltages at landing are always no less than 3.8v per cell and they are always stored at 3.85v per cell when not in use. They are not pushed to the limit and stay well below they're C rating. Other than the first few cycles they are charged at a 3c charge rate.

If you're flying EDF's or anything with a high current draw close to the actual C rating of the Zippy's or typically fly them below 3.7v per cell you probably won't get optimum life or performance out of them but in most cases they are excellent, low cost batteries. I also have a few of the Glacier batteries which IMO tend to be slightly better batteries and better suited for higher amp draw applications.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS