SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:06 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
732 Posts
Got my Zippy's yesterday and all 5 were perfectly balanced. Batteries are 2s 500mah 35c. Got 2 of them lightly cycled last night and the IR went from 50 per cell down to 32 and I expect that to get better after a few flights. I currently own 13 Zippy Compacts of various sizes and so far they have been very good, and I would say at least equivalent to the Hyps i have. Granted, I don't have a lot of cycles on them yet so my opinion could change but so far I'm vey happy with them.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Last edited by ForsheeMS; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added battery specs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,785 Posts
I am hoping you are doing an IR test at low temps to get IR's that high? I toss smaller cells/packs that are much over 10, 5 on larger packs.
You did not mention the mah size but if they are 2200's the true C rating is only 9. If 5000 mah they are a true 6C.
I learned to do my IR tests in my house on dining room table as the temps are constant. A 5 degree F difference can make a HUGE change in IR.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:46 AM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
You are an incredibly patient and fastidious man Rick.

Mark
I have no idea what fastidious means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastidious
but I will say I am just a penny pincher.

I picked up this lot of used packs for a price I could not pass up. Notice some are painted black? He could not say too much about what they were used on and I did not pry but only know the project was a HUGE quadcopter.

Rick
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:04 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,081 Posts
Nice work sir! By fastidious, I meant meticulous and paying close attention to detail. An admirable quality and one that I possessed more.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
I am hoping you are doing an IR test at low temps to get IR's that high? I toss smaller cells/packs that are much over 10, 5 on larger packs.
You did not mention the mah size but if they are 2200's the true C rating is only 9. If 5000 mah they are a true 6C.
I learned to do my IR tests in my house on dining room table as the temps are constant. A 5 degree F difference can make a HUGE change in IR.

Rick
Sorry, I had posted the battery specs earlier in this thread but should have posted them again. Batteries are 2s 500mah 35c Zippy Compacts and the temps were 65 degrees. The IR numbers are coming from my iCharger. I'm fairly new to lipo's but learning thanks to these forums. I'm comparing these to a couple Glacier and Hyperion 2s 450mah 25c batteries with approximately 10 flights on them. I expect the IR will be the same or better once the Zippy's have some actual flights on them. These are going in a Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak that's pulling just a touch under 12 amps. I went with the 35c to give me plenty of cushion as I tend to take it easy on my batteries.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRookie View Post
So you are saying that HK's nano-tech batteries are also junk?

What seems to be your problem with them?

I would think that if everyone were having problems with nano-tech batteries, we would hear more about it. Is everyone having problems, or did one person have a problem, and the rest of you are parroting his problems as yours?

Greg
You cannot read many forums then ... there are plenty posts of nanos not living up to claimed performance.
I'm not interested in others reports - I'm a person who likes to find out for one-self. MY use of nanos along with others I fly with have all been similar. Great for first flights and then a sharp decline over time to junk.
But I also concede that there are posts that say they are fine ... even great.

For me - No more nanos ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:39 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I wish I knew this as well! I buy NANOs (6cell 65-120 "C") they seem to work ok. These are the high "C" rated ones though. I wonder if some are buying the lower "C" rated ones because they dont wish to spend the money, and asking too much from them?.
I don't have any evidence to prove it but I'm convinced that nano-tech batteries lie lie lie when it comes to the "C" rating. 25C performs more like a 12C. I would venture a guess that they VASTLY overstate the rating.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:48 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I don't have any evidence to prove it but I'm convinced that nano-tech batteries lie lie lie when it comes to the "C" rating. 25C performs more like a 12C. I would venture a guess that they VASTLY overstate the rating.
Here you go

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...45&postcount=1

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:55 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2003
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
You cannot read many forums then ... there are plenty posts of nanos not living up to claimed performance.
I'm not interested in others reports - I'm a person who likes to find out for one-self. MY use of nanos along with others I fly with have all been similar. Great for first flights and then a sharp decline over time to junk.
But I also concede that there are posts that say they are fine ... even great.

For me - No more nanos ...

Nigel
I read a lot of forums...that is why I asked the question of you. I am new to electric flight, and still like fuel planes over electric. I have been reading the electric forums for over a year, and I would think that would be sufficient to get a grasp on what is good and bad. Anything much older than that would be outdated information anyway. The technology has changed quite a bit from what I have read in the forums.
I haven't seen people criticizing nano batteries any more than any other battery. You can find posts from people that are having trouble with almost every brand and size of battery made, and that is a lot of batteries.
It must be about time for a new battery chemistry to come out and take over the LiPo end of the market. Then the LiPo will go the same way as dry cells, alkaline, NiCads, NiMh etc.
It would also help if people knew how to properly use and charge the LiPo batteries, which I am sure is the cause for the majority of problems showing up in the forums as "bad batteries". The complainers always outnumber the satisfied owners of anything.
I'm not defending nano batteries, just trying to see what the problem is in your opinion. So your conclusion is that all nano batteries are only good for a few flights, then are junk? Right?

Greg
OldRookie is offline Find More Posts by OldRookie
Last edited by OldRookie; Feb 15, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:39 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Well, jeez. Thanks Wayne. I was claiming from the seat-of-my-pants feeling just from flying the nanotechs. I didn't realize they were really that crummy.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:49 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Hi Greg ...

Quote:
So your conclusion is that all nano batteries are only good for a few flights, then are junk? Right?
No - what I said are the nanos used by myself and others I fly with exhibit that characteristic. It is also a characteristic that others have reported in forums.

I, as you obviously believe also - that everything has good and bad .. whether it be cars, batterys or whatever ... I feel that given the number of 'normal' lipos used without too much hassle vs number of nanos that have been poor in my group gives us reason to doubt their quality.

On the subject of C rating ... it's generally believed that many battery sellers over-rate their packs .... bit like cars and 0-60mph times !! Nanos being such high rated .. if their is a % over-rate - then it would increase in actual number as C rating goes higher ... 10% of 10c = 1 ... 10% of 100C = 10

I too agree that full factual info needs be ... but will never happen as manufacturers seldom supply off-shelf examples for testing ... 2nd there's no accounting for monday morning examples.

I used to test a certain gasoline for retail market. The samples were delivered all sealed to my lab ... we tested and found all OK. I gave instructions to my Lab manager to take small samples when filling up car at that particular brand gasoline station ... guess what ... different results.

Nigel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:17 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
i,ve been switching to these AGA Power Batteries.

I had one(due to my dang charger) charge unbalanced. i drained it some. and recharged it. Never even blinked an eye. still working great. I started to replace my larger packs too. A 6 cell 5300 mah pack for my 1/4 scale triplane.

and will be using them on my TGA F-15 conversion to electric. so that will be two large packs.

love'um
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:40 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
My best LiPo's in fact have come of Ebay ...

E-Fly 1800 25C 3S .... have 3 of them and after abuse, crashes, 2 years ... 1 had a cell go down but is still in use as a 2S for bench stuff. They just keep on going ! Sadly cannot find them on ebay anymore.

With my RTF 450 SE V2 heli - I was given a GE Power 2280 35C 3S as it's power pack ... that pack for near 2yrs provided great for the Heli ... and for last year has powered my Skyartec Cessna admirably and will continue for while still .. It has lost it's real oooomph but for lower power demand stuff - it's fine.

I had two 2800 3S LiPo's of ebay that were useless ... but that's all ... rest along with others from Hobby King have been fine.

Nigel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:16 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,226 Posts
Rick, I'm sure you know what your doing, but man all those uncovered bullet connector make me nervous. With bullets I cut a small 3/4 inch piece of tubing and slip it over the connector so you can't have a short

I was using nothing but bullets until I got burnt from a mess up on my part plugging in...went to all EC5's and have been much safer

just looking out
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 AM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,785 Posts
I use APPs. These are "as is" presently and, yes, those make me nervous.
Rick