HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:10 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Right. I dont believe you can just buy Zippy or just Flightmax. It is Zippy Compact, Zippy Flightmax, Zippy K Flightmax, Rhino by Zippy, etc.

Either they changed their specs on this particular battery and didnt update their listing or something else happened.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:14 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,457 Posts
In my experience, the only thing that is consistent with HK lipolys is their amazing inconsistency.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:39 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I believe the name Zippy is like Ford, with Flightmax and Flightmax Light like Ford T Bird and FordTaurus. Of course they also make Rhino too.

Gord.
Maybe ... but weights are different .... and also I seem to recall that one Label says Made in Taiwan .... while others I seem to recall say China ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Get a NANO tech. They are low in cost!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Get a NANO tech. They are low in cost!
mmmmmmm given the failure of Nanos with all the guys and myself who fly in Ventspils ... Nano's are definitely OFF the menu. Great for first few flights then UGH !!

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:57 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2003
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
mmmmmmm given the failure of Nanos with all the guys and myself who fly in Ventspils ... Nano's are definitely OFF the menu. Great for first few flights then UGH !!

Nigel
So you are saying that HK's nano-tech batteries are also junk?

What seems to be your problem with them?

I would think that if everyone were having problems with nano-tech batteries, we would hear more about it. Is everyone having problems, or did one person have a problem, and the rest of you are parroting his problems as yours?

Greg
OldRookie is offline Find More Posts by OldRookie
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRookie View Post
So you are saying that HK's nano-tech batteries are also junk?

What seems to be your problem with them?

I would think that if everyone were having problems with nano-tech batteries, we would hear more about it. Is everyone having problems, or did one person have a problem, and the rest of you are parroting his problems as yours?

Greg
I wish I knew this as well! I buy NANOs (6cell 65-120 "C") they seem to work ok. These are the high "C" rated ones though. I wonder if some are buying the lower "C" rated ones because they dont wish to spend the money, and asking too much from them?.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
I've got a few 3s 500mah 35c Zippy Compacts I use in my Edge 540QQ and so far they have been great. Only have about 20 to 30 cycles on them so time will tell. Out of the box they were perfectly balanced and set to 3.84 volts per cell. Got some 2s 500mah 35c's scheduled for delivery today for my Crack Yak. I'll check them out tonight and see how they look out of the box. So far I haven't had any issues but.......I'm pretty easy on my batteries. Typically I only fly them down to about 60 to 70% with resting voltage being between 3.75 to 3.8v per cell. I think this goes a long way in increasing the life of cheaper batteries.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:17 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I wish I knew this as well! I buy NANOs (6cell 65-120 "C") they seem to work ok. These are the high "C" rated ones though. I wonder if some are buying the lower "C" rated ones because they dont wish to spend the money, and asking too much from them?.
Have you tested your NANOs at 120C? If so, please provide the discharge graphs.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
I suggest Sky lipos from hobbypartz. I started off with Zipps as well, but they got puffy and stopped giving full power before long. Since then all my packs are Sky and/or Gens Ace. Barely any puffing and have lasted several years.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Just think how bad your going to feel when those expensive ones fail
I've got some Hyperions that are on their 4th season and no signs of failure, swelling, etc. All batteries have a chance for failure of course but I've been VERY happy with Hyperions and the one thing I have gotten from them is customer service... something you don't get from these budget websites. YMMV.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
624 Posts
I have a boat load of zippys in the last 5years had almost no issues and some of my flying buddies say the same, wonder if you got used ones on accident?
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
Have you tested your NANOs at 120C? If so, please provide the discharge graphs.
No I have not tested these they are still new in the box and have the base storage charge. The item I will be using them in requires a 45C rated battery maximum rated. I believe buying a much higher C rated battery then needed puts less stress on a battery and helps it last longer. I think if the NANOs can provide me with just the 65C rating I should be happy. I will report my results when I have them. I think these NANOs have to be at least a little better than a zippy. I think some of these bad reviews on all makes of lipos come from people that buy a lower C rated battery to save money, then push the battery far beyond what its designs are. I feel you should always spend a little more and get a margin more then is required for your set up.
Last edited by goldsworthy; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:29 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,846 Posts
I am harvesting cells from 7 Turnigy 3S 5000 40C packs and 56 Zippy Flightmax 5800 3S packs. While some are crash damaged most cells I am tossing are due to cells that just failed for no visible reason.
I have been harvesting cells and building new "true C matched packs" for a couple weekends/evenings so far, another week or two to go. [image of me panting... with a HUGE smile on my face]
BUT
... This past two weekends I have had 2 other supposably high end packs given to me with a name starting with H. One has a very weak cell with high IR, the other has a cell with a tab that was never soldered to the PCB.
I have seen all other major brands with "issues" that should not have happened but never the quantity equal to the Turnigy and Flightmax packs I am bashing lately.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:13 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,457 Posts
You are an incredibly patient and fastidious man Rick.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member